Plan for mosque near World Trade Center site

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
A proposal to build a mosque steps from Ground Zero received the support of a downtown committee despite some loved ones of 9/11 victims finding it offensive.

The 13-story mosque and Islamic cultural center was unanimously endorsed by the 12-member Community Board 1's financial district committee.

The $100 million project, called the Cordoba House, is proposed for the old Burlington Coat Factory building at Park Place and Broadway, just two blocks from the World Trade Center site.

Imam Feisel Abdul Rauf, who helped found the Cordoba Initiative following the 9/11 attacks, said the project is intended to foster better relations between the West and Muslims.

He said the glass-and-steel building would include a 500-seat performing arts venue, a swimming pool and a basketball court. "There's nothing like it," said Rauf, adding that facilities will be open to all New Yorkers.

Once built, 1,000 to 2,000 Muslims are expected to pray at the mosque every Friday, she said.

No one at last night's meeting protested the project. But some 9/11 families said they found the proposal offensive because the terrorists who launched the attacks were Muslim.

"I realize it's not all of them, but I don't want to have to go down to a memorial where my son died on 9/11 and look at a mosque," said retired FDNY Deputy Chief Jim Riches - whose son Jim, a firefighter, was killed on 9/11.

Read more: Plan for mosque near World Trade Center site moves ahead

I have a few questions: 1. Will there be a "dress code" esp. for women? 2. Who is financing the "Cordoba Initiative"? 3. Will it be "tax exempt"?

Personally I think this is a bad, bad idea. Anywhere else perhaps, but not at Ground Zero.

Comments?

Given that nothing else has managed to be built on the site....they might as well build a mosque

Braise Wally.

Attachments

• $BOOMY.jpeg
    $BOOMY.jpeg
    30.1 KB · Views: 90
if the reason for building the mosque is because there are enough people within the area who would like a place to worship at, then I have no problems with it. If it's because someone wants to make some sort of cheesy, hand-holding, Kumbaya-singing, we-are-the-world bullshit statement, then it's a terrible idea.

if the reason for building the mosque is because there are enough people within the area who would like a place to worship at, then I have no problems with it. If it's because someone wants to make some sort of cheesy, hand-holding, Kumbaya-singing, we-are-the-world bullshit statement, then it's a terrible idea.

And you fuckin' know that's what it is! lol

I checked out the "Cordoba Initiative" and found this a bit disconcerting. Maybe I'm reading too much into it but what do y'all think?

The Shariah Index Project seeks to address the religion-politics relationship question that has racked the Muslim World since the death of the Prophet Muhammad. A contentious issue between religious Islamic political and secular political parties within the Muslim World, and between Muslim and Western nations (for whom Church-State separation is a foundational concept), it evolves around the right balance between institutions of political power and authority and institutions of religious power and authority, and whether the modern nation state Muslims live in should be a secular or religious (i.e. Islamic) State?

Shariah Index Project | Cordoba

The Islamic call to prayer will be heard at Ground Zero...

1000 to 2000 will show up for Friday Prayers?

Can we as American's be any dumber?

Forum List

Back