Plame and Watergate, The Difference Is All In Media Perception

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Annie, Jul 20, 2005.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    http://www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/005/852rwufk.asp

2. Zhukov

Zhukov VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +301
    This very idea occured to me while watching the Daily Show the other night (the best liberal news source in existence in my opinion because they don't hide their bias).

The sheer hypocrisy of having Woodward and Bernstein in one breath extolling the virtue of Felt, who actually did break the law by leaking what he did to them, while in the very next breath lamenting on the degradation that is Rove for clarifying the lies of Amb. Wilson and outing his already outed wife as an employee of the CIA.

I continue to find it impossible to believe that they buy the shit they're shoveling.

3. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I guess an idea who's time has come, cause here's another:

http://www.mysanantonio.com/opinion/columnists/jgurwitz/stories/MYSA072005.02O.gurwitz.ff9764.html

4. bock2911

bock2911 Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, here is a contrasting media view on politicians:

5. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I wonder just how closely Steyn has been following this, time will tell. He has come out before and said that his initial take was wrong on some issues.

Then again, Rove might be found guilty of something, though I do think this is one more of the MSM/DNC machination points.

6. Zhukov

Zhukov VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +301
    If she was already known to work for the CIA when Rove talked to Cooper he leaked nothing.

Selfless? Please.

It might not be a barefaced lie but Mr. Shields here just completely distorted the real situation. Rove wasn't concerned about TIME publishing anything inaccurate; Rove was concerned about TIME publishing Wilson's lies about the administration. He set the record straight. That's his job.

Selfless? It was a completely selfish act.

7. bock2911

bock2911 Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0

I thought it was Rove's contention to do this to prevent TIME from publishing something in accurate? Anyway, from what I have been hearing from the grand jury, I trust ROve about as far as I can throw him.

8. freeandfun1

freeandfun1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +296
    WOW you have contacts inside the Grand Jury? I would be careful disclosing that here as anything said in a Grand Jury is secret and whomever is talking to you could be prosecuted.
    :rolleyes:

9. Zhukov

Zhukov VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Yes but he didn't do it out of the goodness of his heart like the article implies.

It's not like he went on a personal fact finding mission to make sure they got their Norwegian monarchial timeline correct because he didn't want them to have to write a correction.

Here it is in a nutshell:

reporter: this guy, Joe Wilson, who's report contradicts the adminstration, says you guys sent him to africa.

rove: woh woh woh, we didn't send him, he's a liar, i heard his wife at the CIA sent him. we don't have anything to do with this guy.

Now you tell me, does that sound like the selfless act of a man only concerned about making sure TIME published something accurate out of the goodness of his heart (like your article says), or the act of a man correcting a lie before it made it to print and was repeated, ad infinitum, by the media?

10. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770

Exactly. I read Steyn a lot, and like him. In this case it sounds like he may be busy and is trying to be 'fair' on what he's reading bits of. I certainly could be wrong, but he's written that before.