Placing The mexican Flag Above "OLD GLORY"

Nuc said:
Does anybody know the history of neo-Confederate flag waving? Because I doubt it's been flown continuously since their defeat.

What's the point of your post?

And you didn't answer my question.

Nuc said:
Does anybody know the history of neo-Confederate flag waving? Because I doubt it's been flown continuously since their defeat.

Wrong. Most local government buildings in areas of the deep south, like Georgia, South Carolina, and Alabame, have been flying some form of the Confederate flag (lower than the other flags, as it is the flag of a defeated nation) every day since some time in the 1860s. What I'm getting sick of is the NAACP launching PR campaigns and lawsuits to try to get them taken down. If you don't like it, deal with it. I find fat women in g-strings offensive, but I don't gripe about it.

GotZoom said:
What's the point of your post?

And you didn't answer my question.

Yeah, I think if a large majority of people in the country are against an idea for 150 years it's a good idea to drop it. Or at least understand why most people find it offensive.

Hobbit said:
Wrong. Most local government buildings in areas of the deep south, like Georgia, South Carolina, and Alabame, have been flying some form of the Confederate flag (lower than the other flags, as it is the flag of a defeated nation) every day since some time in the 1860s. What I'm getting sick of is the NAACP launching PR campaigns and lawsuits to try to get them taken down. If you don't like it, deal with it. I find fat women in g-strings offensive, but I don't gripe about it.

Descendants of slaves are supposed to "deal with" the idea that a small group of self-proclaimed spin doctors find the symbol of slavery to be a fashion anti-statement? Why?

You're right about these fools flying the flag. I was staying in Birmingham and decided to go for a walk. To my horror I encountered the capitol building which was festooned with the history of Confederate flags. 6 if I recall properly. Maybe if they spent more time strategizing than redesigning their flag every 2 months they wouldn't have gotten their asses kicked so decisively.

Why should any northerner, black or anybody from any other country accept that you punks think the Confederate flag is a cute anti-fashion remark? It's idiotic and ugly.

Nuc said:
Descendants of slaves are supposed to "deal with" the idea that a small group of self-proclaimed spin doctors find the symbol of slavery to be a fashion anti-statement? Why?

You're right about these fools flying the flag. I was staying in Birmingham and decided to go for a walk. To my horror I encountered the capitol building which was festooned with the history of Confederate flags. 6 if I recall properly. Maybe if they spent more time strategizing than redesigning their flag every 2 months they wouldn't have gotten their asses kicked so decisively.

Why should any northerner, black or anybody from any other country accept that you punks think the Confederate flag is a cute anti-fashion remark? It's idiotic and ugly.

So.... I take it you don't like my avatar.... aye punk?

Pale Rider said:
So.... I take it you don't like my avatar.... aye punk?

I find the Confederate flag to be offensive (obviously), but I believe in the first amendment so you're entitled to any avatar you wish. I understand that for a lot of people that flag represents southern culture in general, disregarding its unsavory connotations. I doubt that you intend a racist message. But there are a lot of people including me who can't separate it from racism.

It seems like one of these things that people suspend disbelief on. Like when dog owners don't understand why non-dog owners think dogshit and piss on the sidewalk is unsanitary. Try complaining to a dog owner about it and you'll get tons of self righteous indignation. That's the same thing that happens when you talk negatively about the Confederate flag to a white southerner.

I walked into Brett Favre's bar in Kiln, Mississippi and the biggest thing in there was a Confederate flag which took up the whole wall. I was thinking, "This guy works with black people"?

I guess I just don't understand. So explain to me if and how you can TOTALLY separate the Confederate flag from slavery and racism. I'm open minded, maybe you'll be able to persuade me.

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
Nuc said:
I find the Confederate flag to be offensive (obviously), but I believe in the first amendment so you're entitled to any avatar you wish. I understand that for a lot of people that flag represents southern culture in general, disregarding its unsavory connotations. I doubt that you intend a racist message. But there are a lot of people including me who can't separate it from racism.

It seems like one of these things that people suspend disbelief on. Like when dog owners don't understand why non-dog owners think dogshit and piss on the sidewalk is unsanitary. Try complaining to a dog owner about it and you'll get tons of self righteous indignation. That's the same thing that happens when you talk negatively about the Confederate flag to a white southerner.

I walked into Brett Favre's bar in Kiln, Mississippi and the biggest thing in there was a Confederate flag which took up the whole wall. I was thinking, "This guy works with black people"?

I guess I just don't understand. So explain to me if and how you can TOTALLY separate the Confederate flag from slavery and racism. I'm open minded, maybe you'll be able to persuade me.

Oh, I understand your point, and I don't think you'll ever be able to seperate them. Only my southern upbringing did it for me, seeing as how anything learned about the War Between the States or any aspect of the South that involved any Confederate flag was at least half about racism and/or slavery. It's the standard government brainwashing you get in government schools. In my opinion, while the fall of the South may be seen as an overall good, or at least necessary, event in history, it should be portrayed as a sad end to a national crisis, not a victorious conquest of a bunch of bigots. However, as a person raised in the South, I was brought up to see that flag as a symbol of a short lived nation that was worth fighting for. It was a sad reminder of past glory, not a grim reminder of past sins.

The whole thing depends on how many factors there are to compete against the standard school history book brainwashing.

Hobbit said:
The whole thing depends on how many factors there are to compete against the standard school history book brainwashing.

My opposition to it is on the basis of the fact that the South had slaves after the North didn't any more. That's a historical fact isn't it? When I reflect upon that I don't think I've been brainwashed. It's embarrasing enough that we ever had slavery, especially when you consider the highmindedness of some of the Founding Fathers.

As far as the other political and economic woes that caused the War Between the States, I'm sure blame can be placed on both sides.

Nuc said:
My opposition to it is on the basis of the fact that the South had slaves after the North didn't any more. That's a historical fact isn't it? When I reflect upon that I don't think I've been brainwashed. It's embarrasing enough that we ever had slavery, especially when you consider the highmindedness of some of the Founding Fathers.

As far as the other political and economic woes that caused the War Between the States, I'm sure blame can be placed on both sides.

The north didn't eliminate slavery for any moral reason. They didn't need slavery to power their economy any more, so they outlawed it to look good. It would be the equivalent of us waiting until the entire country was on nuclear power and then outlawing coal "because it pollutes." Contrary to popular belief, free blacks in the north recieved no better treatment than free blacks in the south. You might also take notice that even though the free states were in a majority after the secession, they never bothered freeing the slaves in the four unseceded slave states. Even the Emancapation Proclamation was only a speech with no legal value.

Then there's the fact that less than 5% of southerners eligible to own property (adult males) actually owned slaves, and a significant portion of them were black.

You don't learn that in most government schools.

Nuc said:
So explain to me if and how you can TOTALLY separate the Confederate flag from slavery and racism. I'm open minded, maybe you'll be able to persuade me.

Nothing to explain really.

You choose to take a flag that every black person in the United States says is racist because a racist group of people chose to use that specific flag as "their" flag and declare with them that it is a symbol of racism.

No..the flag isn't a symbol of racism. The flag was used incorrectly. They could have easily have chosen the Union Jack, the Japanese Flag, the German Flag, etc,; but they chose that one.

The flag doesn't represent racism. The flag was something a racist group chose to use to represent them.

You would rather "side" with African-Americans. You would rather join the "that flag represents racism" crowd than the crowd who understands that it is just a flag. The KKK could have used any flag in the world; unfortunately they chose that one.

The KKK is racist.

The Confederate Flag isn't.

Let's hope African American's don't start declaring that the American Flag is racist. We already have examples of hispanics saying this and idiots who are afraid to stand up to them are bowing down and removing the American Flag from places because it is "offensive."

If Hispanics and Blacks join forces and declare the American Flag as an offensive symbol, we're all in trouble.

Oh...not all of us.

You'll be on their side.

Nuc said:

Ya know... I see the Confederate flag as a piece of American history, as I do ALL flags that America has had over the years, and I think it's to bad that it has the stigmatism of slavery attached to it by some as it's meaning. Sure the south had slaves. So did the north. That's not what this flag is about though. The Confederate Jack is as much pure America as is our current flag. When people view it as something less, or more, they're denying the fact that it IS an American symbol, for better or worse. We shouldn't shun it, or deny it's American history. It's "US".

Nuc said:

Do you live in state where it is flown? If not then shut the fuck up. The Civil War was hardly decisive. Read a book every now and then. That small group that you refer to happen to be the majority of southerns. The small group are those that are trying to remove those flags. Most southerners regard that flag as the last symbol of a heritage that the North tried to burn to the ground. It is a symbol that reminds them to not forget who they are and to never let that die.

Don't turn this into a slavery debate. It simply isn't the issue.

Nuc said:

So Brett Farve is a racist? I guess that makes Reggie White an Uncle Tom. He spent alot of time brinking beer under that flag with Farve.

Hope you pronounced Kiln correctly, if not were you corrected?

onthefence said:
So Brett Farve is a racist? I guess that makes Reggie White an Uncle Tom. He spent alot of time brinking beer under that flag with Farve.

Hope you pronounced Kiln correctly, if not were you corrected?

Kill, rhymes with "pill". I don't know if Favre is a racist. Probably not.

All right guys, knock yourselves out with that flag. Thanks for showing me why you like it and reassuring me that you are not in favor of slavery.

GotZoom said:
You would rather "side" with African-Americans. You would rather join the "that flag represents racism" crowd than the crowd who understands that it is just a flag. The KKK could have used any flag in the world; unfortunately they chose that one.

I hate that expression "African-Americans". What do you call a guy who just moved here from Ghana, an "African African American"? I know that's not your fault actually you are just being PC. :kiss2:

Your point about the KKK has a parallel with the Nazis who took a venerable Buddhist symbol (swastika) and ruined it by associating themselves with it.

Forum List

Back