Pitsbulls! The dog breed most misunderstood.

I am a proud owner of a Pit Bul(Bruiser), Rottweiler(Diamond), and Sheltie(Willow). All three are loving dogs. I admit my pit bul, when it comes to strangers, he gets a little excited. He has never bit anyone or another animal. I feel that isn't so much a bad thing. He is the biggest sweetheart and most sensitive dog I have ever owned or met in my 30 years of life. He stays with my mother and she has a yellow lab(Sunni), and the yellow lab makes sure the pit knows whose boss. She also has a cat(Max) and they are best friends. The pit is always there to cheer you up. To us(me, Mother, Father, Brother, and Sister) he is the biggest baby and most loyal dog we ever owned. When I was a kid we had a black lab and that dog bite me on my face as I was just sitting there petting her. People are intimidated by Pit Bul. Being the only people living in the same house as him is my mother and younger sister, as my father past few years ago, and my brother and I, got our own places with our girlfriends, I can sleep a little easier at night knowing that Bruiser is there with my mother and younger sister.
My mother doesn't live in the safest of neighborhoods. About a week ago 3 people(an elderly woman, middle aged woman, and a 9 year old girl) got stabbed right out front of her house. So when the neighbors see me walking my pit bul and ask "is he nice?" "Does he bite?" I respond, " No hes not nice and he might bite." He is very muscular and looks very intimidating. My yellow lab would let anyone just walk in the house and he will greet him. So I make sure my mothers neighbors know she has a big pit bul in that house in hopes no one thinks of breaking in.
Brief history & facts about the Pit Bul Breed.
Pit Bulls were created by breeding bulldogs and terriers together to produce a dog that combined the gameness and agility of the terrier with the strength of a bulldog. They were originally used in blood sports such as bull-baiting and bear-baiting, which was eventually banned. Unfortunately Pit bulls are still a popular choice for criminal to use in illegal underground dog fighting.( Romans hosted a series of events where humans would fight till the death shedding massive amounts of blood.)
Pit Bulls became catch dogs for semi-wild cattle and hogs, to hunt, drive livestock, and as family companions. The American Veterinary Medical Association(AVMA) conducted a controlled study reviewing dog bites. The studies do not show Pit Bulls to be proportionately dangerous. Pit Bull type dogs are more frequently identified in cases involving dog bites and attacks, but reviews suggest this mat relate to the popularity of the breed.
Other studies show that the dog breeds most likely to bite is the Dachshund, Chihuahua, and Jack Russel Terrier. Also the family favorite Labrador is responsible for the highest number of canine attacks and personal injury claims, according to the research by pet insurers, Animal Friends.
I was surprised to find that Labradors are responsible for the highest number of canine attacks. If you see, Labradors are one of the breeds that are most commonly used to breed with Pit Bulls. Provided with this information, can it be the cross breed between Pit Bulls and Labradors that give Pit Bulls their bad rep? Do pure breed Pit Bulls bite more people than a Pit Bull/Labrador mix?
I understand a lot of people probably think Pit Bulls are the only dogs used in underground dog fighting, which is not true. And I believe the way a dog is raised has a lot to do with influencing the risk of that dog biting someone. Pit Bulls are misunderstood because of the lack of understanding humans have, and the lack of research and knowledge.
One more thing! Pit Bulls having a lock jaw and wont let go because they don't want to is false. Its a myth, Pit Bulls do not have locking jaws, there is no physiological "locking mechanism" in the jaw muscle andbone structure.

Dear ThatDude30 Regardless of breed of dog, if families and residents of a neighborhood do not feel their children and community are safe around a particular dog,
why not allow districts to enact ordinances that all residents sign in agreement:
whether that policy is to require insurance, or screening of pets, or even special
training of dogs such as pitbulls to make sure they are safely domesticated
and not some hidden mix or breed that could carry fighting tendencies.

There is a nonprofit that trains and matches pitbulls as service dogs for
vets recovering from PTSD and other lifechanging conditions. The founder
is well experienced in screening and training pitbulls, where he selects
the ones who will be successful service dogs. thus any dangerous
or mistrained or ill bred dogs that can't be trained safely and effectively
get screened out. why can't this screening and training be required
for any dogs, if that is what a local neighborhood votes on as their standard ordinance?

wouldn't that be a good service to provide or require proper
screening and training by professional experts if dogs are
to be allowed to live and be around children and other community members.
this can be for all dogs, not just pitbulls, and solve
the problems with poorly bred or poorly trained dogs
which could potentially bite or attack other pets or people.

Pitbulls are great dogs.

The worst thing about them is drool and coffee-table items.

Oh, and finding the right exercise for them.

Last one I had was an Olympic-level garbage-can raider/connoiseur.

His 2 little friends from different houses would come over to get him to go make the rounds.

I'd follow his path on a bike with a shovel in hand to clean up the mess.

I am a proud owner of a Pit Bul(Bruiser), Rottweiler(Diamond), and Sheltie(Willow). All three are loving dogs. I admit my pit bul, when it comes to strangers, he gets a little excited. He has never bit anyone or another animal. I feel that isn't so much a bad thing. He is the biggest sweetheart and most sensitive dog I have ever owned or met in my 30 years of life. He stays with my mother and she has a yellow lab(Sunni), and the yellow lab makes sure the pit knows whose boss. She also has a cat(Max) and they are best friends. The pit is always there to cheer you up. To us(me, Mother, Father, Brother, and Sister) he is the biggest baby and most loyal dog we ever owned. When I was a kid we had a black lab and that dog bite me on my face as I was just sitting there petting her. People are intimidated by Pit Bul. Being the only people living in the same house as him is my mother and younger sister, as my father past few years ago, and my brother and I, got our own places with our girlfriends, I can sleep a little easier at night knowing that Bruiser is there with my mother and younger sister.
My mother doesn't live in the safest of neighborhoods. About a week ago 3 people(an elderly woman, middle aged woman, and a 9 year old girl) got stabbed right out front of her house. So when the neighbors see me walking my pit bul and ask "is he nice?" "Does he bite?" I respond, " No hes not nice and he might bite." He is very muscular and looks very intimidating. My yellow lab would let anyone just walk in the house and he will greet him. So I make sure my mothers neighbors know she has a big pit bul in that house in hopes no one thinks of breaking in.
Pit Bulls were created by breeding bulldogs and terriers together to produce a dog that combined the gameness and agility of the terrier with the strength of a bulldog. They were originally used in blood sports such as bull-baiting and bear-baiting, which was eventually banned. Unfortunately Pit bulls are still a popular choice for criminal to use in illegal underground dog fighting.( Romans hosted a series of events where humans would fight till the death shedding massive amounts of blood.)
Pit Bulls became catch dogs for semi-wild cattle and hogs, to hunt, drive livestock, and as family companions. The American Veterinary Medical Association(AVMA) conducted a controlled study reviewing dog bites. The studies do not show Pit Bulls to be proportionately dangerous. Pit Bull type dogs are more frequently identified in cases involving dog bites and attacks, but reviews suggest this mat relate to the popularity of the breed.
Other studies show that the dog breeds most likely to bite is the Dachshund, Chihuahua, and Jack Russel Terrier. Also the family favorite Labrador is responsible for the highest number of canine attacks and personal injury claims, according to the research by pet insurers, Animal Friends.
I was surprised to find that Labradors are responsible for the highest number of canine attacks. If you see, Labradors are one of the breeds that are most commonly used to breed with Pit Bulls. Provided with this information, can it be the cross breed between Pit Bulls and Labradors that give Pit Bulls their bad rep? Do pure breed Pit Bulls bite more people than a Pit Bull/Labrador mix?
I understand a lot of people probably think Pit Bulls are the only dogs used in underground dog fighting, which is not true. And I believe the way a dog is raised has a lot to do with influencing the risk of that dog biting someone. Pit Bulls are misunderstood because of the lack of understanding humans have, and the lack of research and knowledge.
One more thing! Pit Bulls having a lock jaw and wont let go because they don't want to is false. Its a myth, Pit Bulls do not have locking jaws, there is no physiological "locking mechanism" in the jaw muscle andbone structure.

Dear ThatDude30 Regardless of breed of dog, if families and residents of a neighborhood do not feel their children and community are safe around a particular dog,
why not allow districts to enact ordinances that all residents sign in agreement:
whether that policy is to require insurance, or screening of pets, or even special

for any dogs, if that is what a local neighborhood votes on as their standard ordinance?

I absolutely agree with you. Also did you know that recently, I forget where, a police force some where has the first pit bull police dog?
I think that is a great idea. Pits are scary and a suspect might think twice before running? I could be wrong, a lot of times they try to get away from a germen shepherd, but to me the pit is scarier.
I think there should be programs that incorporate Pits in the services that require a dog. Police dog, therapy dog, guide dog, rescue dog, medical alert dog, visual assistance dog, psychiatric dog, etc, etc. Instead of fearing them and judging them get them involved in positive things in the community.

I absolutely agree with you. Also did you know that recently, I forget where, a police force some where has the first pit bull police dog?
I think that is a great idea. Pits are scary and a suspect might think twice before running? I could be wrong, a lot of times they try to get away from a germen shepherd, but to me the pit is scarier.
I think there should be programs that incorporate Pits in the services that require a dog. Police dog, therapy dog, guide dog, rescue dog, medical alert dog, visual assistance dog, psychiatric dog, etc, etc. Instead of fearing them and judging them get them involved in positive things in the community.

That's a really dumb idea if it's a catch dog.

With a Shepherd or Doberman, if you grab it by the neck, they can still bite you. If you grab a pitbull by the neck, you've got it.

Pitbulls are the black people of the dog world.
How did you come up with that?

Sounded like when your girlfriend says “ hay man, lets hit that ATM in Q st, and you may say na that’s the black side of town. We KNOW what god on over there” and so on. In this case a guy May Day “ man I can’t go to your house. You have a pit bull and we all know they love the way people taste”. That type thing.

IMG_20171029_213900.jpg

Pitbulls are the black people of the dog world.
How did you come up with that?

Because when you look up statistics of fatal attacks by dog breed, pit bulls are off the chart. Just like violent crime statistics for blacks.

Except for one thing...when you look up those stats which are kept by the cdc they have a big fat disclaimer that says the numbers are taken from the media and as such are likely inaccurate...and incomplete. The media "identifies" pits as the culprit based on their own agenda or opinion...and they don't consistently report all attacks.

That's not to say pits can't be dangerous. They are powerful terriers with a strong prey drive. Unrestrained and un supervised they are like all dogs...carnivores that like to tear things apart.

With a Shepherd or Doberman, if you grab it by the neck, they can still bite you. If you grab a pitbull by the neck, you've got it.
The only dog that has ever bitten me when I broke up a fight....my 12 lb parson russell.

Last edited:

The onlyg that has ever bitten me when I broke up a fight....my 12 lb parson russell.

I've been bit by a chihuaha and one of my dogs, a black pit bull. He dropped me, it was like a bolt of lightning up my spine and I fell to the ground, still holding the dog I pulled off of him in the air.

I raised 2 dogs together, 1 was Shepherd-ish, and the other was a wide, black, goofy pitbull.

So, I used to put down a pan of buttered popcorn for them, they loved it. However, short, fat black could hoover it down like a vacuum cleaner, while the other could only take small bites at a time. One night as they were getting grown, it erupted into a big bloody dogfight that quickly moved to the bathroom. Shepherd-ish dog was kicking the crap out of fat boy, so I went to break them up, choked him off, as I was going to move him to a bedroom, goofy boy bites my leg.

He knew he got the wrong leg right when he did it.

For years later, if I wanted to guilt trip him, I'd point to that scar, he knew what it was.

After that, I had to keep 2 doors between them until I could give the other dog away.

The onlyg that has ever bitten me when I broke up a fight....my 12 lb parson russell.

I've been bit by a chihuaha and one of my dogs, a black pit bull. He dropped me, it was like a bolt of lightning up my spine and I fell to the ground, still holding the dog I pulled off of him in the air.

I raised 2 dogs together, 1 was Shepherd-ish, and the other was a wide, black, goofy pitbull.

So, I used to put down a pan of buttered popcorn for them, they loved it. However, short, fat black could hoover it down like a vacuum cleaner, while the other could only take small bites at a time. One night as they were getting grown, it erupted into a big bloody dogfight that quickly moved to the bathroom. Shepherd-ish dog was kicking the crap out of fat boy, so I went to break them up, choked him off, as I was going to move him to a bedroom, goofy boy bites my leg.

He knew he got the wrong leg right when he did it.

For years later, if I wanted to guilt trip him, I'd point to that scar, he knew what it was.

After that, I had to keep 2 doors between them until I could give the other dog away.

Doggie sally port. Been there.

As a teen, I worked part-time as a goffer at a company called K-9 Inc. They trained dogs for all sorts of purposes. They would not accept pit bulls for any sort of attack or guard training. Too unpredictable and difficult or impossible to control when in an attack.

I was raised by a German Shepherd which served three years in the Army and received an Honorable Discharge right after WW-II. I've had and trained dogs ever since. My last was a mutt we (wife and I) trained as a Search and Rescue dog and then she went further to become certified Cadaver Dog. Our German Shepherd became a certified Search and Rescue dog.

I have no clue why anyone would intentionally buy or get a pit bull when there are so many other dogs without the questions and problems. From my perspective, men who are insecure get a pit bull to look macho, manly or some such nonsense.

Snoop is the only dog I've ever had that will stop fighting on command.

They aren't unpredictable. They do have a strong prey drive...and they are less likely to hamstring running kids than shepherds.

If you don't like pits..don't get one. And I have seen a lot of stupidity in K9 training groups. There is nothing special about their insight into dogs. K9s are often some of the most pathetic, neurotic and pitiful animals you'll ever see.

Forum List

Back