Pitbulls...

I hope you remember that when your face is chewed off by your sweet loving puppy.

I laugh that you say "when" and not "if". Tell us, oh great and wise seer, how did you come by such insights?

Fuck you. You can have all the pit bulls you want, and if they get near me, I will shoot them dead. No BS.

Good enough. My daughter's dog does not run loose. When I walk him he is on a leash. If you happen to be on the sidewalk or in the park where we are, it would be best if you contain your irrational fear and not pull a weapon on the dog. Trust me when I tell you that he is not the one you should fear if you attack us.

No you don't...because nobody has a Pit with innocent intentions....they like it that their dog makes others uptight....they like it that their Pit is their security blanket, and they know if the fucker messes somebody up they can claim "Killer was only defending us"...Uh huh. Cowards every one of them....what kind of man would leave their family at the mercy of a dog who might go haywire on them out of the clear blue? I got rid of my German Shepherds when I started a family....while they were growing up, I continuously picked them up over my head to remind them who was Alapha Dog and who wasn't. Still, they were very aggressive to strangers as much as I tried to dissuade them from acting like that. I couldn't trust them so they went to a farm to live....but only on the condition they never be put on a chain....put a German Shepherd on a chain for two weeks and you have a problem dog in two weeks. Bottom line? Don't get involved in a breed big enough to kill you and yours unless you can spend an hour a day with him to notice if his behavior is changing....you can have a real tragedy on your hands in a matter of seconds with these breeds.

So you know everyone who owns a pit? This is just bullshit based on hysteria.

Are there plenty of owners who fit your statement? Sure. Is it every pit owner? No even close. My daughter's pit is a sweet, loving dog. My lab/basset hound mix is the alpha when they play. Her dog is a 75lb wannabe lap dog.

Also, I am not sure why you think lifting a dog over your head shows him you are the alpha, but it is a strange idea. Every dog I have owned gets the same treatment to show who is in charge. I roll them on their back, put my face on their neck and growl. I do it when they are puppies and every few years as they grow up. I have never owned a dog that would not do what I told it to do. The most difficult dog (as far as listening) I have owned was a Walker Coonhound. She, like all my dogs, was a rescue. Hunting hounds tend to be way more independent.

Yeah, I know every single Pitbull owner...you idiot. As a man becomes an adult, he forms opinions based on experience...in my experience your wonderful loving Pits are capable of MAYHEM for no reason....no other dog (with few exceptions) have that kind of short-circuit potential. Why lift the Shepherds over my head? From being on a LRRP team in Vietnam and having months of experience with K-9 handlers.....don't shit on what you don't know, fool....it'll bite your ass every single time.

I don't shit on what I don't know. 5 years of working with one of the best canine training facilities in the US taught me plenty.

But don't get pissy when your bullshit is called out. There are millions of pit bulls in the US and the overwhelming majority never cause any "mayhem". Using sensationalistic press releases as evidence of an entire breed shows your "knowledge".

Pit bull chews off owner's arm, hand - Connecticut Post

A number of recent deadly attacks in that link...

What gives?...
:)

peace...

~Exactly. What is wrong with people. I cannot understand why anyone would want to have such a dog and why people defend them. I've read quite a few threads in other forums discussing this, and some people go on endlessly defending these aniamls, despite the constant reports of their vicious, usually deadly attacks. The people even try to say that such dogs as labradors and golden retrievers are just as dangerous, though they have always been known to be docile and gentle, totally unlike pitbulls. I think only sick, paranoid people own dogs that are bred to be attack dogs, guard dogs and the like. What does a normal, average family need an attack dog for?

Last edited:
So what do you do if you're about to set upon by a dog intent on fucking you up? Depends on the circumstances, surroundings, and dog of course. Nobody should have to take the bites waiting for the owner (if they're present) to stop it. You have every right to do grievous harm to a dog intent on doing grievous harm to you regardless of the circustances. It's best to keep your self-interest in mind when you're most vulnerable...like out for a run or riding a bicycle. I always carry a knife I can open with one hand...should I need it, I will and have used it. Most dogs are stupid....wag your cap at them and when they clamp down on it, you attack....you only have one shot because the cap ain't the taste they're after. Most dogs have a collar on....grab em by the collar and lift them off the ground....now the fucker is at your mercy....you can take it to water and drown it, throw it over a fence, or punch the shit out it with it's paws dangling in the air.....I'll run my blade through one of it's eyes and scramble it's brains....if the owner is watching, more the better. My friends tend to put Rover away when Kurtz comes around. :)

You sound like an untamed pit bull.

I notice the kid in the pic has the footprint of the American chicken on his shirt....

So what do you do if you're about to set upon by a dog intent on fucking you up? Depends on the circumstances, surroundings, and dog of course. Nobody should have to take the bites waiting for the owner (if they're present) to stop it. You have every right to do grievous harm to a dog intent on doing grievous harm to you regardless of the circustances. It's best to keep your self-interest in mind when you're most vulnerable...like out for a run or riding a bicycle. I always carry a knife I can open with one hand...should I need it, I will and have used it. Most dogs are stupid....wag your cap at them and when they clamp down on it, you attack....you only have one shot because the cap ain't the taste they're after. Most dogs have a collar on....grab em by the collar and lift them off the ground....now the fucker is at your mercy....you can take it to water and drown it, throw it over a fence, or punch the shit out it with it's paws dangling in the air.....I'll run my blade through one of it's eyes and scramble it's brains....if the owner is watching, more the better. My friends tend to put Rover away when Kurtz comes around. :)

You sound like an untamed pit bull.

His flair for dramatics aside he's not wrong.

I came quickly around a corner once and met face to face with a german shepherd out for a jog with it's owner. The dog lunged at me and I kicked it as hard as I could right under the jaw and sent it yelping ass over tea kettle. I understand that it viewed me as a threat to it's owner and acted on instinct, but then again so did I. That didn't stop the owner from reading me the riot act. I told her I was sorry but I'd do it every time.

Why does everyone keep bringing up kids? The woman in the OP story is 56 years old.

And if she was stupid enough to own a pit bull then IMO there are plenty of other 'victims' I don't know in the news that are far more worthy of my sympathies.

Because that is an aspect of having a dog and living in area that has kids. Kids are my focus on this issue as well as others.

So you know everyone who owns a pit? This is just bullshit based on hysteria.

Are there plenty of owners who fit your statement? Sure. Is it every pit owner? No even close. My daughter's pit is a sweet, loving dog. My lab/basset hound mix is the alpha when they play. Her dog is a 75lb wannabe lap dog.

Also, I am not sure why you think lifting a dog over your head shows him you are the alpha, but it is a strange idea. Every dog I have owned gets the same treatment to show who is in charge. I roll them on their back, put my face on their neck and growl. I do it when they are puppies and every few years as they grow up. I have never owned a dog that would not do what I told it to do. The most difficult dog (as far as listening) I have owned was a Walker Coonhound. She, like all my dogs, was a rescue. Hunting hounds tend to be way more independent.

Yeah, I know every single Pitbull owner...you idiot. As a man becomes an adult, he forms opinions based on experience...in my experience your wonderful loving Pits are capable of MAYHEM for no reason....no other dog (with few exceptions) have that kind of short-circuit potential. Why lift the Shepherds over my head? From being on a LRRP team in Vietnam and having months of experience with K-9 handlers.....don't shit on what you don't know, fool....it'll bite your ass every single time.

I don't shit on what I don't know. 5 years of working with one of the best canine training facilities in the US taught me plenty.

But don't get pissy when your bullshit is called out. There are millions of pit bulls in the US and the overwhelming majority never cause any "mayhem". Using sensationalistic press releases as evidence of an entire breed shows your "knowledge".

"pissy"? Listen Alice....you have no idea what a LRRP dog is trained to do, loves doing, and is quite adept at doing. You're a civilian...you think this is all one big AKA discussion about "tendencies"....fuck that. You got manhood problems....that's for sure, and no dog can solve that for you....I suggest you stick with cats...more your speed, Alice. :lol:

One of the best places to go foro n a dog that is attacking you is their feet. Granted, this assumes you will be bitten, but when you are being attacked a few bites are going to happen.

Stay on your feet. Keep facing the dog. Make noise and try to look as big as possible. Any weapon is a plus.

No one knows why a dog would go haywire and start attacking. It could be something as common as something they ate. Particularly today when the use of illicit drugs is common, a dog could get into a stash, or someone might give the dog something as a joke. Sometimes the dog just goes off on its own. If you have ever been at a shelter where dogs that have attacked people are, you would not believe they could do it. They are as peaceful and calm as they always were.

Some dogs are just unpredictable. Pit bulls, Chows and Shar Peis are among the most likely do be unpredictable. For outright viciousness, it is the Chihuahua. They bite first. I would never allow a child to be around a Chihuahua.

Not always true. I have had Chis for years including when my son was born. I have found them to be loyal and protective. If this were the pic thread I would share, a lot of love and gentle caring from these dogs to my boy. These were rescues to boot! Depends on how a person raises and treats the dogs and how I taught my son to respect and treat them as well.

All breeds have different attributes and characteristics. Chihuahuas tend to be far more high strung than many breeds. That is a characteristic that you have to take into account when you own them. Pits have a very high pain tolerance and very, very strong jaw muscles. THIS means if the do attack, the results tend to me more horrific. That tends to make the news.

I like what you said about it depending on how a person raises the dogs and treats the dogs.

I have been bitten by a dog only once. It was a golden retriever.

They are high strung and rescues need more care and attention then non-rescues . All these factors must be weighed when considering a pet. There is no one set formula when deciding.

"pissy"? Listen Alice....you have no idea what a LRRP dog is trained to do, loves doing, and is quite adapt at doing. You're a civilian...you think this is all one big AKA discussion about "tendencies"....fuck that. You got manhood problems....that's for sure, and no dog can solve that for you....I suggest you stick with cats...more your speed, Alice. :lol:

You assume a lot, don't you Sally? It is not about proving my manhood. If you need to prove it you ain't got it. And I know full well what a LRRP dog is trained to do. I also know what all canines respond to, and that is just what I stated.

I'll stick with my dogs. But I will also always be in control of them and I will have them as pets not as protection. I am better protection for my home than a dog ever could be.

What percentage of pit bulls attack humans?

It's not just about the likelihood of an attack, it's also about how much damage is inflicted when they do.

Case in point: The story in the OP.

I think it's about the likelihood of an attack.

You can say the same with anything that causes great damage, like a gun for instance. The amount of harm it can cause shouldn't be the sole reason when deciding if it is or is not ok to have around.

I could change my mind about pit bulls though, if anyone knows that percentage.

I'm of the school at any dogs are cool with me, except around my daughter or young children. That's where the level of trust ends.

They are high strung and rescues need more care and attention then non-rescues . All these factors must be weighed when considering a pet. There is no one set formula when deciding.

Agreed.

But every variation of the formula for me says Pit bull = non-starter.

Agreed.

But every variation of the formula for me says Pit bull = non-starter.

While I do not agree with condemning the entire breed for the actions of the few, I do (As I stated near the beginning of this thread) think a pit requires more from the owner.

What percentage of pit bulls attack humans?

It's not just about the likelihood of an attack, it's also about how much damage is inflicted when they do.

You can say the same with anything that causes great damage, like a gun for instance. The amount of harm it can cause shouldn't be the sole reason when deciding if it is or is not ok to have around.

I'm of the school at any dogs are cool with me, except around my daughter or young children. That's where the level of trust ends.

This is about dogs, not guns. And to dismiss the amount of damage inflicted when a dog snaps is foolish. <<- Massive understatement

If this woman owned a collie that snapped, she'd still have both arms.

If you are attacked by a normally sweet and gentle dog, you are in the fight of your life and you will probably lose.

There is no difference between a sweet and gentle dog who, for some reason, just goes off and that helpful and caring father who shoots up an office building.

I always carry a knife too, that I can open with one hand. I have a Boker Kalishnakov automatic. One button.

One thing to keep in mind about dog attacks is, they aren't like what you think they are like. A dog in attack mode is incredibly fast, like lightening. A dog attack is measured in seconds. As far as grabbing the collar of a pit bull and pulling them off, it won't work, not with pit bulls. They have incredibly strong neck muscles and won't even notice. Since they don't let go, a tractor pulling the dog off you, will probably drag you along for the ride. You might imagine that you could lift a pit bull with one hand and leave its paws dangling in the air, but your imagination is as far as that will go. You best chance is the knife, if you can get to it.

In this case, the dog was already observed to be acting aggressively. Normally sweet and gentle dogs do not act aggressively without any cause. If I were there, I'd be looking at the son to see if he left any of his personal drugs lying around.

Last edited:

This is about dogs, not guns. And to dismiss the amount of damage inflicted when a dog snaps is foolish. <<- Massive understatement

It's foolish to dismiss the dogs as being great pets based on anecdotes. That's why numbers matter.

Linked from the OP -

Nick Santino Commits Suicide After Euthanizing Dog

Last week, soap opera actor Nick Santino euthanized his beloved five-year-old Pit Bull, Rocco — a decision that he said was forced on him by his New York condo board, which has a policy that bans residents from owning the breed.

Just hours later, Santino took his own life, writing that he had “betrayed his best friend,” reported the NY Post. “Rocco trusted me, and I failed him. He didn’t deserve this.”

A board member told the newspaper that Santino’s death had “nothing to do with the pet policy.” Apparently, the dog had been grandfathered in and wasn't subject to the policy, but Santino claimed that he'd been harassed about the dog by members of the board.
Punishing a Much Maligned Breed

Santino’s actions of euthanizing a healthy dog and then committing suicide may be hard for many people to understand, but bans of so-called "dangerous breeds" often leave owners of healthy and nonaggressive Pit Bull–type dogs in heartbreaking situations.

What this suggests is that Santino was someone with issues of his own. First, just because the condo board doesn't allow pets, it doesn't mean he has to kill it. He could have found a good home for it. Committing suicide because he euthanized a dog that didn't even need to be euthanized? Really an unstable guy. Dangerous breeds should be kept away from the general public. Average people do not need those kinds of dogs: Rottweiler’s, pit bulls, Dobermans...they are meant for something other than being a family pet and living among people in town and city conditions, in areas where there are vulnerable people and children.

It's foolish to dismiss the dogs as being great pets based on anecdotes. That's why numbers matter.

Fine. But you still need to find a way to quantify the damage, otherwise your analysis is woefully incomplete.

Fine. But you still need to find a way to quantify the damage, otherwise your analysis is woefully incomplete.

We can call it death.

And it's still worth it if the number of attacking pit bulls versus the number of domesticated pit bulls warrants it. It still wouldn't be irrational to own one, depending on those numbers which I wish were around somewhere.

Like - I like roller coasters. There's a teeny percent chance I could die every time I ride one. But the risk vs. reward based on the numbers is simple math. The odds are juuuUUUuuUUUst about zero.

It could be the same with owning a pit bull.

New Topics

Forum List

Back