Pit Bulls Have No Place In A Civilized Society!

The Clifton study of attacks from 1982 through 2006 produced similar results. According to Clifton study, pit bulls, Rottweilers, Presa Canarios and their mixes were responsible for 65% of the canine homicides that occurred during a period of 24 years in the USA. (Clifton, Dog attack deaths and maimings, U.S. & Canada, September 1982 to November 13, 2006; click here to read it.)

Other breeds were also responsible for homicides, but to a much lesser extent. A 1997 study of dog bite fatalities in the years 1979 through 1996 revealed that the following breeds had killed one or more persons: pit bulls, Rottweilers, German shepherds, huskies, Alaskan malamutes, Doberman pinschers, chows, Great Danes, St. Bernards and Akitas. (Dog Bite Related Fatalities," Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, May 30, 1997, Vol. 46, No. 21, pp. 463 et. seq.) Since 1975, fatal attacks have been attributed to dogs from at least 30 breeds.

The most horrifying example of the lack of breed predictability is the October 2000 death of a 6-week-old baby, which was killed by her family's Pomeranian dog. The average weight of a Pomeranian is about 4 pounds, and they are not thought of as a dangerous breed. Note, however, that they were bred to be watchdogs! The baby's uncle left the infant and the dog on a bed while the uncle prepared her bottle in the kitchen. Upon his return, the dog was mauling the baby, who died shortly afterwards. ("Baby Girl Killed by Family Dog," Los Angeles Times, Monday, October 9, 2000, Home Edition, Metro Section, Page B-5.)

DOG BITE LAW - Statistics about dog bites in the USA and elsewhere

we can google stats all day...that is all it is ...stats...how many people are killed a year by dogs?

google that stat and impress us with the huge ass number

o and my posts about the american and the pit...were for the poster who mentioned petey...who was an american...there are a lot of half and halfs called pits in the south...i am not sure what you are calling the 3rd breed...you can provide a link i am sure?

Well, I can but I'm not sure why I should since you posted this...

"i hate fuckers who dont know what they are talking about and this op is one of them"

"Pit bull” is NOT a breed. It's a generic term often used to describe all dogs with similar traits and characteristics known to the public as "pit bulls." When we use the term “pit bull” here, it should be understood to encompass American Pit Bull Terriers, American Staffordshire Terriers, and Staffordshire Bull Terriers.

Pit Bull Rescue Central

The Clifton study of attacks from 1982 through 2006 produced similar results. According to Clifton study, pit bulls, Rottweilers, Presa Canarios and their mixes were responsible for 65% of the canine homicides that occurred during a period of 24 years in the USA. (Clifton, Dog attack deaths and maimings, U.S. & Canada, September 1982 to November 13, 2006; click here to read it.)

Other breeds were also responsible for homicides, but to a much lesser extent. A 1997 study of dog bite fatalities in the years 1979 through 1996 revealed that the following breeds had killed one or more persons: pit bulls, Rottweilers, German shepherds, huskies, Alaskan malamutes, Doberman pinschers, chows, Great Danes, St. Bernards and Akitas. (Dog Bite Related Fatalities," Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, May 30, 1997, Vol. 46, No. 21, pp. 463 et. seq.) Since 1975, fatal attacks have been attributed to dogs from at least 30 breeds.

The most horrifying example of the lack of breed predictability is the October 2000 death of a 6-week-old baby, which was killed by her family's Pomeranian dog. The average weight of a Pomeranian is about 4 pounds, and they are not thought of as a dangerous breed. Note, however, that they were bred to be watchdogs! The baby's uncle left the infant and the dog on a bed while the uncle prepared her bottle in the kitchen. Upon his return, the dog was mauling the baby, who died shortly afterwards. ("Baby Girl Killed by Family Dog," Los Angeles Times, Monday, October 9, 2000, Home Edition, Metro Section, Page B-5.)

we can google stats all day...that is all it is ...stats...how many people are killed a year by dogs?

So what is an acceptable number of deaths from pit bulls?

I say one is too many.

africa.jpg

Ask this guy...he seems to have the right idea.

Hey, it's Hardy Har Har!

I say one is too many.

then you need to live in a belljar...life is full of threats....you cant avoid them...so you never said...after the pits..what next?

why do you avoid answering this....

alas i must go to work

dashie's are mean ass little things....we had them when i was a child...

I'll second that. I knocked on the door to see if my friend (she was the 'back up friend' kid) was home and that damn little meat tube came a flying towards me and chomped down on my ankle. The sister who answered the door didn't even bat an eye. I never did like that family.

I've known pits and rotts and dobies that think they're lap dogs. They were raised with love. It really is that simple. Any dog can be mean if they're abused or encouraged to be mean (and that, I think IS abuse). Any dog can be loving and gentle if raised by loving and gentle owners who take the time with them.

what a silly thread....

should there be no animals that might possibly, under certain circumstances, maybe sometimes get dangerous?

i, personally, wouldn't choose to have a pit bull, but that's my preference. I also think it's probably better not to have one if one has children.

and maybe if you have a pit bull, you have to take some extra precautions when around strangers.

but no place for pitbulls in a civilized society?

kinda excessive there, cheesecake.

and judge j was fine to appear before in family court... and she's a lot of fun to watch, but i'm gonna pass on making her opinion gospel.

Isn't there a state that has passed a law which makes it illegal to buy an pitbull?

I'm with you. I've seen more deadly horses than I have deadly dogs. Of course, I just assume all dogs are potentially lethal. That's why,while my kids are little, we have a terrier (and she's almost lethal).

My oldest boy has a pitbull, in my avatar. He's been around the kids since they were babies (and so was he) and my son has had him longer than he's had the baby. He's very careful with him, though. The dog has been thoroughly socialized, but some things get him. For example, he freaked out over a lady with an umbrella once. He'd never seen an umbrella. I've seen him freak out over sounds..like the refrigerator (he only has a little tiny pin sized Snoopy brain).

It's the owners.

I walk around Lake Merritt in Oakland several times a week. The walking path is very popular with dog owners - so I observe all kinds. Stereotypically, there are a lot of pit bulls in Oaklandtown. I admit they scare the bejeebus out of me - but most of the ones I see look very happy and their owners handle them well. I have only seen one that was aggressively straining at the leash, and his owner was a total thug in his attitude as people recoiled from the dog.

Bad owners make bad dogs.

Exactly....this has been argued ad nauseum in other threads. Banning a breed does not end irresponsible ownership or dangerous dogs.

There will always be people who want to walk around with their dicks (or dildos) straining at the end of a leash. Breed is irrelevant as long as it's the tough-dog-du jour.

I say one is too many.

If one is too many you are going to have to ban a hell of a lot of breeds from Pomeranians to Labs to German Shepherds to Pitbuls....what'll you have left?

Can't we just ban stupid people?

It's the owners.

I walk around Lake Merritt in Oakland several times a week. The walking path is very popular with dog owners - so I observe all kinds. Stereotypically, there are a lot of pit bulls in Oaklandtown. I admit they scare the bejeebus out of me - but most of the ones I see look very happy and their owners handle them well. I have only seen one that was aggressively straining at the leash, and his owner was a total thug in his attitude as people recoiled from the dog.

Exactly....this has been argued ad nauseum in other threads. Banning a breed does not end irresponsible ownership or dangerous dogs.

There will always be people who want to walk around with their dicks (or dildos) straining at the end of a leash. Breed is irrelevant as long as it's the tough-dog-du jour.

Hell, if they'd keep them on a leash, all would be well!
It's the ones that are running that are the problem.

And if you have a dangerous dog, either put it down or find a way to make sure it NEVER gets loose. Ever. And good luck with that.

It's the owners.

Hell, if they'd keep them on a leash, all would be well!
It's the ones that are running that are the problem.

And if you have a dangerous dog, either put it down or find a way to make sure it NEVER gets loose. Ever. And good luck with that.

I have one dog that might bite if she felt threatened - she is managed very carefully, she is very biddable and has excellent obedience. If she larger, stronger, an escape artist or more reactive I would have put her down. I think a lot of people don't realize what ANY dog can do and more so, what a dog pack can do.

It's hard to argue with the statistics that pit bulls make up the vast majority of dog attacks.

That said it doesn't make them evil. They are whom they are.

I tell what has no place in civilized society, Wookies. Sex crimes have increased by 94% since the fall of the Evil Empire. Dam straight I support the return of the Death Star!

And don't even get me started about Ewok begging. Don't give them anything, they only use it for drugs.

o as a person who has "dangerous dogs" i pay a lot of mother fucking attention to idiots like you...you start with the pits...then you go after the rotties...then you will come after my dobies...fuck you....i dont live in fear of life like you apparently do...and i sure dont expect others to limit their rights so i can be a damned pollyanna.....

you know what i would like to see outlawed...stupidity....stupidity is the cause of most things....stupidity in owning a dog you cant control...etc...
And he can stay the hell away from my Bull, Old English and Neopolitan Mastiffs too. They usually swallow their victims whole anyway.

o yea i am hiding behind a guard dog....lol..that is rich...considering....at this time he is in total confinement....but yea i am hiding behind him...what a loon..

Forum List

Back