Pit bull left for dead recovering

APBTs in History

Pit bulls were once a sign of dignity and strength to the United States and for the people therein. The never-quit attitude that they held was a statement towards the United States. They were once posted in advertisements, on magazines, and in movies.

Today, people fear the breed. They fear the myths surrounding the breed. They fear the bad reputation surrounding the breed.

They were once, highly dignified and loved.

Famous Pit Bulls

Popsicle is the number one US customs dog. She was found in a freezer during a drug raid by Buffalo police in 1997. They found Popsicle as a 5 month old puppy, who quickly became a favorite. He graduated his training at the Canine Enforcement Training Center in Front Royal, Virginia, and went to work with his handler, J.J., in Texas.

RCA is a certified hearing dog in Alaska
Tahoe, Cheyenne, and Dakota are all search and rescue dogs in Sacramento, California. The three pit bulls worked none stop at the World Trade Center and Pentagon after 9/11.

Bud was the first dog to travel cross country in 1903.

Sergeant Stubby died on March 16, 1926, as a hero, yet today, many people do not know who he is. Sergeant Stubby is the most decorated dog in military history, and the only dog to have been promoted during battle. He fought for 18 months in the trenches for France during WW1 for 17 battles. Stubby warned his fellow soldiers of gas attacks, located wounded soldiers in No Man's Land, and listened for oncoming artillery rounds. He was also responsible for the capture of a German spy at Argonne. After his time in the war, Stubby met Woodrow Wilson, Calvin Coolidge, and Warren G. Harding. He was, also, made a life member of the American Legion, the Red Cross, and the YMCA.

Jack Brutus was another famous military dog. Although, he did not get nearly the publicity as Stubby, Jack Brutus was the the official mascot of Company K, First Connecticut Volunteer Infantry. He was much larger than Stubby and was never smuggled anywhere with his troops (as Stubby had been). Jack Brutus died in 1898 of spinal troubles and constipation. He was much larger than the famous Sergeant Stubby but was definitely a pit bull type dog.

Famous American Pit Bull Terriers

Famous Pit Bull Owners

Helen Keller and her pit bull- Sir Thomas

98150_f260.jpg

Click on the Bold Names to view the owners picture with their bully.

Helen Keller (Pit Bull Named - Stubby)
Anthony Robbins
Molly Price (Actress)
General George Patton
Jan Michael Vincent
Fred Astaire
Stephany Kramer
President Woodrow Wilson
Pink (the singer)
Ashley Olsen
Jan Michael Vincent
Alicia Silverstone
Humphrey Bogart
Ananda Lewis
Linda Blair
John Steinbeck
Fatty Arbuckle
Malcolm - Jamal Warner
Mary Tyler Moore
Steve & Terri Irwin (Pit Bull Named - Sui)
Mo Vaughn (NY Mets)
James Ellroy (Author)
Amy Jo Johnson (Actress)
Jack Johnson (Hawaiian singer)
Sinbad
Barbra Eden
Rosie Perez
Kelli Williams (Actress from The Practice)
AJ Mclean
Rachel Ray (from Food Network) (Pit Bull Named - Isaboo)
Orlando Bloom
James Caan
Shaquille “Shaq” O’Neal
Judd Nelson
Barbara Eden,
Veronica Mars
Walter Scott (Author)
Ken Howard (Father in Crossing Jordon - his Pit Shadow saved his life)
Usher (Singer)
Michael J. Fox
Thomas Edison
Mel Brooks & Anne Brancroft
Julian schnabel
Jessica Alba
John Stuart
Jesse James and (Pit Bull Named - Cisco)
Stephan Jenkins (Singer)
Madonna
Jack Dempsey
Brad Pitt
Theodore Roosevelt
Bernadette Peters
Stephan Jenkins
Tamika Dixon (Athlete)
Singer Rick Springfield
Actor Vin Diesel
Barbra Ede
Cassandra Creech
Sir Walter Scott (Poet)
Shannon Elizabeth
Earl Holliman
David Spade
Robert Ferguson (Green Bay Packer)
John Stewart (from the Daily Show)
Bill Berloni (Broadway show dog trainer who has said that the Pit is the breed of choice for training),
Roy Jones Jr.
Serena Williams
Justin Miller
Cozy Coleman
Veron Haynes
Hugh Douglas
Kamal
Jermaine Dupri
Richard "Rip" Hamilton
50 Cent
Young Buck
Lloyd Banks
Jordan Babineaux
Jonathan Babineaux
Maurice White
Andrew Vachss
Ira Glass
Rosie Perez
Kelli Williams
Judd Nelson
Thomas Edison
Mel Brooks and Anne Bancroft
Julian Schnabel
Stephan Jenkins
Jon Stewart
Tamika Dixon

Well known sports figures who own Pit Bulls include:

Tennis Star Serena Williams (Pit bulls Name - Bambi)
Professional Basketball Players Desmond Mason (Pit Bulls Named - Zane & Capone)
Rashard Lewis (Pit Bull Named - Cookie, Angel & Ginger)
Amare Stoudemire (Pit Bull Names - JT, Ace & Deuce)
Alton Ford (Pit Bull Names - Mischif, Rosy, Spicey, Diable +3 pups with names unknown)
Tamika Dixon and Mo Vaughn

MOVIES

Garfield (2004 Universal Pictures)
Jimmy Kimmel (voice of Spanky the Pit Bull from the Bronx)

Torque (2004 Warner Home Video)
Biker Cary Ford (Martin Henderson) is in possession of several motorcycles belonging to a ruthless drug dealer. Now he's putting the squeeze on Ford in an attempt to retrieve the bikes, which have something a little more valuable than gas in their tanks.Dojo is a pit bull who growls at the moon but is probably more gentle than any of the two- legged counterparts in the movie.

Cheaper by the Dozen (2003 Fox Home Entertainment)
Blue Water's Blitz was the American Pit Bull star of Cheaper by the Dozen. Problems start right away when Nora and Hank come and the kids make it their personal mission to annoy Hank in any way that they can. Take this one scene where they soak his underwear in meat so that Blitz would chase after him.

Snatch (2001 Columbia Tri-Star)
An unnamed Pikey pit bull whose loyalty brings luck stars in Snatch. What do two boxing promoters, an Irish gypsy who speaks gibberish, a mean British kingpin, a Russian mercenary, a Jewish jeweler from New York, three bumbling crooks, a sharpshooter with steel teeth, and a pit bull have in common? They all want a pretty damned expensive diamond.

Babe: Pig In The City (1999 Universal Studios)
The plight of these creatures puts a dark cloud over the sunny concept of the original Babe, making this film the most frightening G rated movie I can recall. The animals in the hotel represent disturbingly real criminals we see in society -- and movies. An orangutang is played to be a drug lord, while a pit-bull has an Italian mafia accent. But when a neighbor complains about the flea-bitten establishment, animal control people come in and capture the gang in a long and heart wrenching scene that will probably upset many young viewers. "Even more imaginative than the original" (The Washington Post), this sequel takes the three musketeers Babe, Ferdy and Mrs. Hoggett on a crusade into the midst of a large city where despite incredible obstacles, they're able to turn enemies into friends, raise enough money to save the farm and combine the two worlds into one. Once again, it's Babe's kind and steady heart that achieves miracles.

2 Days in the Valley (1996 HBO Studios)
A cold-hearted killer, a crook who cooks, a drop-dead blonde and a couple of cops are looking for sex, looking for money, looking to stay alive. But all of them are looking to get out of the valley and they've got just two days to do it.

Homeward Bound (1993 Disney Studios)This thrilling and thoroughly captivating theatrical hit from Disney has become an instant favorite with audiences of all ages. You'll lose your heart to Chance, a fun-loving American Pit Bull pup; Sassy, a hilarious Himalayan cat who lives up to her name; and Shadow, a wise old golden retriever -- all of whom express themselves with very familiar human voices! The adventure begins when the loving owners of these irresistible pets are forced to leave them in the temporary care of a friend who lives hundreds of miles away. But after several days, the worried animals begin to think their family must be in trouble, so they decide to head for home. On their incredible journey across the ruggedly beautiful Sierras, they encounter unexpected surprises from man, beast, and nature alike. It's an unforgettable story of love, courage, and devotion that will delight and inspire generations to come!

Homeward Bound II - Lost in San Francisco (1996 Disney Studios)This movie follows the unwritten law of sequels: bring back the same characters and put them in similar jeopardy with slightly tweaked circumstances. Instead of a cross-country journey, this time the pet trio must get from the San Francisco airport across the Golden Gate Bridge to their suburban home. Michael J. Fox and Sally Field return as the voices of Chance the American Pit Bull and Sassy the cat, with Ralph Waite replacing the late Don Ameche as the elderly golden retriever. Their journey features dogfights, house fires, an epic battle with a pair of petnappers, and a love affair for Chance with a stray from the other side of the bridge (Carla Gugino). Sinbad voices another dog who guides them through the mean streets of the city by the bay, and Robert Hays stars as the father, but, frankly, that hardly matters. What does is the animals' banter, and they're funny. (Ages 3 and up) --Kimberly Heinrichs

The Little Rascals (1994 Universal Studios)
Kids may enjoy the slapstick of this modern reworking of the old Our Gang comedies, but parents who grew up watching them on TV (or grandparents who saw them at theaters) will wonder why anyone would want to be involved in this remake. Directed by Penelope Spheeris, the film takes look-alike kids and casts them as Spanky, Alfalfa, Buckwheat, and the rest. These are kids doing shtick while recycling such old bits as the He-Man Woman Haters Club, the kids' go-cart race, and Spanky and Alfalfa dressing as girls.

HEROS & ROLE MODELS

For the general public Pit Bulls are the least known of doggie heros. We all know about famous German Shepherds and Collies but did you know that pit bulls have accomplished some amazing feats as well?

The tough, strong and courageous character of the breed brings new meaning to the term American Hero. Pit bulls have been saving lives and serving humans bravely ever since the U.S. first considered them our All American Dog.Some contemporary examples:

Weela
Weela - Ken-L Ration's Dog Hero of the Year (1993)One day while outside watching one of the kids in her family, suddenly body slammed 11 yr old Gary that sent him flying. Lori (mom) saw the whole thing and was surprised since Weela had always played so well with the kids. Surprised , that was until she saw the big rattle snake sink it's fangs into Weela's face! Then she understood Weela had been saving Gary's life!A few years later, Weela saved the lives of 30 people, 29 Dogs, 13 horses and 1 cat. Heavy rains caused a damn to break on the Tijuana River. Weela would pull 30 to 50lbs of food across the river to feed stranded animals when it was needed during their month of being stranded on the island.

Bandog Dread
Bandog holds more canine working titles than ANY other breed. The owner's name is Diane Jessup and you can reference her book, "The Working Pit Bull." It tells you all of Dread's accomplishments. Pit Bulls are truly capable of many tasks.

Popsicle
The Number 1 United States Customs Dog is an American Pit Bull Terrier named Popsicle. How did he get that name? He was found during a drug bust in a freezer where he had been left to die after being used as a bait dog for dog fighters. In 1999, Popsicle helped the feds seize 3,075 pounds of cocaine from a pineapple-laden truck at the Mexican border-the biggest drug bust ever at the Hidalgo, Texas, port of entry.Visit Pit Bulls on the Web for the whole story. (Originally from People Weekly Magazine Edition April 26, 1999 The "Animal" chronicle, Page 117)

Stubby
In 1917 a Pit Bull by the name of Sgt. Stubby became a war hero for saving several soldiers lives and even capturing a German Spy while in the trenches of France with the 26th Yankee Division.

Bud
The first dog to travel across America in a car was a Pit Bull ( Bud ) and did so with the first persons (Horatio Jackson and his assistant and "bicycle" mechanic Sewall Crocker) to cross America in a car (A Winton named the Vermont). Horatio later donated Bud's goggles to the Smithsonian Institute in Washington D.C. During the trip Bud would assist in watching for large bumps in the road and often received as much if not more attention by the press than did Jackson. After the trip was completed Bud bravely guarded the Jackson home until his death of old age.

Norton
Saved his human moms life after, she had gone into anaphylactic shock from a spider bite. Norton who they rescued from a fight ring, went to the master bedroom and kept pushing her husband until he awoke and followed Norton to his wife. Norton was inducted into the Purina Animal Hall of Fame in 1999 for his heroic act. Visit the 1999 Purina Hall of Fame and Pit Bulls Positive Press for the whole story.

Buddy
An American Pit Bull Terrier (referred to by owners as their 56lb Chihuahua) who saved 2 retired sisters from a house fire.Visit Pit Bulls Positive Press for the whole story.

http://www.trupitbull.com/FamousPeople.html

Last edited:
Of course everybody knows, all these people are dog fighters and drug dealers... before they were all swallowed whole by their beloved American Pit Bull Terriers. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Because they hope that it will prove unnecessary, that the quarantine will find she is free of problems, and that some caring soul from the area will adopt her.

And then in 6 months, that caring soul's 2 year old will have his face torn off when he grabs the dog's tail...then the dog will be euthanized.

I had a roommate once who adopted a female pit bull puppy, named "Bernice." She was the cutest, sweetest little thing, just like all puppies are. BUT, even before she could waddle without falling down, she had jaws of steel and could leap across the couch and clamp onto a piece of pizza before you knew what was coming. I guess when they grow up, that's what makes them valuable as fighters because they sure aren't mean dogs until they're programmed to be.

That one wasn't mean.

The thing about pitbull is they don't have to be trying particularly hard in order to do a lot of damage. And they have relatively short fuses.

Anyone who lets a pitbull puppy take pizza from people is programming it to be dangerous.

My son taught his to let him take HIS food away from him. He spent hours on the floor with him, with his face on the dog's level, rolling around with him, just so he wouldn't feel threatened by people on his level. He didn't even feed him human food until he was grown. Snoop never associated human food with anything he ate, so there was never an issue of him chomping anyone while they were eating.

I didn't intend for this to be a discussion about the relative merits of the breed, but since many of you have brought it up I'll throw my 2 cents in.

Pit Bulls are ticking time bombs. Period. The statistics prove this over and over again.

The mere fact that some pits grow old and die without ever being set off is in no way proof of the contrary.

Beagles can't control their noses... because of their breeding.

Retreivers naturally love to fetch and swim... because of their breeding.

Pit Pulls are naturally aggressive... because of their breeding.

The only reason to own one is if you're into dog fighting or you're a drug dealer who needs to protect your merchandise.
Oh come now! How many pit bulls have you been around in your life?

Now are you going to tell me that Bull Terriers, Mastiffs and Rottweilers are all dangerous dogs too because of past breeding?

How about known traits for rage disorder in Chihuahuas, Cocker Spaniels and Poodles? Never hear about those neurotic coprophagous little gits now, do we?

It comes down to knowing the breed, knowing how to handle them and acting accordingly. This is true for ANY pet. Those who do not act appropriately with any animal can set it off.

Pick up a cat by it's tail and see how long you last till blood's running down your arm from 400 puncture wounds. That's what happens when you're inappropriate around a cat. Who's fault was it? Yours for being an idiot and picking a cat up by the tail. A dog is much more tolerant to BS than a cat and I'd trust the pit to not snap a kid in two as instantly as a cat goes off on it.

Another thing I've seen with Pits is an incredible 'mothering' instinct with children. Once the dog is used to the child, they become very protective of them and affectionate towards them to the point of you almost want to pay it for babysitting. BUT, the key is knowing the dog's and your child's temperment. As the owner, it is your responsibility to make sure the animal is not put in a situation to go off, as well as teach your children how to behave and protect those who approach the dog.

Most owners don't know how to or realize it's their job to do that, and that results in a lot of the incidents we now hear about today.

You must act appropriately with the animal.

Last edited:
I don't get why they didn't just euthanize her. They're going to end up euthanizing her in about 6 months anyway.

Because they hope that it will prove unnecessary, that the quarantine will find she is free of problems, and that some caring soul from the area will adopt her.

They usually don't adopt out pit bulls that were involved in dog fighting, especially when used as a bait dog. They spent most of their life being attacked, with no way to fight back, being used as an ego booster for another dog. In some cities they will run them through certain tests to see if they can be adopted but quite a bit of the time the dog will be ruled too unsafe for adoption. Most cities just put them to sleep, not wanting the liabilty.

manie you are such a douchebagg, asshat etc blah blah fill in the blanks...cause i really cant call you enough mal right now....each time i see this thread it just pisses me off....you continue to make blanket judgements about dog breeds...you are one of those..dangerous dogs fuckers that drive me to distraction....o kill the dog kill the dog.....you are such a dumb fuck....did i mention names i am calling you?
I'd rather see the breed phased out. Why breed a dog that has such a propensity toward violence?
I'd rather see anything 'toy', hairless or with a long curly coat bred out. Ugly nasty snappy little things. Any dog under 50lbs is rodentia.

I don't get why they didn't just euthanize her. They're going to end up euthanizing her in about 6 months anyway.

They usually don't adopt out pit bulls that were involved in dog fighting, especially when used as a bait dog. They spent most of their life being attacked, with no way to fight back, being used as an ego booster for another dog. In some cities they will run them through certain tests to see if they can be adopted but quite a bit of the time the dog will be ruled too unsafe for adoption. Most cities just put them to sleep, not wanting the liabilty.

They should put the owners to sleep too. Personally, because I don't have children and would be happy to take the risk of being biten, I'd take one.

Amen ~~

I exlained to St. Peter
I'd rather stay here,
Outside the pearly gate.

I won't be a nuisance,
I won't even bark,
I'll be very patient and wait.

I'll be here, chewing on
A celestial bone,
No matter how long you may be.

I'd miss you so much
If I went in alone ~~

It wouldn't be Heaven for me.​

They should put the owners to sleep too. Personally, because I don't have children and would be happy to take the risk of being biten, I'd take one.
If I didn't have a child I would rescue one, I think they get a bad rep.
My ex boyfriend and I had one who was the biggest baby in the world, any dog could beat her up because she wouldn't fight back. Of course the ex got her. :(

My son has a red nosed pit, and he's a big baby, too. He fainted and had to be carried when we went hiking in the heat, he's a wuss about snow and cold toes.

He sneaks up on the bed if he can and takes all the covers, and pushes everyone to the corners. If he's at my house, I let the kids use my room and I sleep on the couch, and I'll wake up with him squeezed somewhere on the couch.

He's lovely with kids, a wonderful dog.

But he's still twitchy, and he's never had any trauma in his life. I've seen him race around his own house all bristled up because the refrigerator turned on, and you can't really do anything with him in that state.

Remember, they're pit bull TERRIERS. A.k.a., pit bull terrorists. Terriers are the nuttiest dogs on the planet and they're hardwired to kill. We just forget it because most of them are so small.

Pitbull Attacks: Deadly Pit Bull Attacks and why they happen

Last edited:
A lot will depend on her temprement but if its good she could very well be adopted by a caring person out there. If not then euthanazia will probably happen.

Dog fighting is a vicious sport. I live down here in Florida and believe me its rampant down here. I've seen dogs that have been used for fighting both alive and dead and its not a good way for any animal to die. They will never cathch the "owners" and the" sport" will go on.

I'm glad they are going to give this dog a chance. I friend of mine found an escaped pit bull bait dog running around wounded in traffic. She kept her and 9 years later the dog is still the best pet she could ever ask for. Great with kids, especially my friend's 3 year old.

They will eventually put an end to dog fighting or at least successfully cut down on it. People who engage in that kind of animal torture are the scum of the earth.

Agreed. Anyone who does this sort of thing get's ZERO sympathy from me.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back