Pit bull left for dead recovering

manifold

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2008
your dreams
A severely wounded and hypothermic bait dog believed to be used to test other dogs’ fighting instincts was found abandoned and shivering near a busy Hyde Park road Monday night, according to the Animal Rescue League of Boston.

The dog, a female pit bull around 3 years old, was found by an animal control officer, curled in a ball with open wounds in a wooded area next to Smithfield Road near Turtle Park Parkway around 10:30 p.m.

A passerby who called 911 to report the dog, which rescuers named Turtle, returned to the scene to help an animal control officer search for the animal, said Lieutenant Alan Borgal, director of the Center for Animal Protection.

Borgal said that when he arrived on scene, he knew the dog was used as a bait dog because of the type of wounds and the severity of her scars.

The dog also had makeshift sutures where its owner had tried to sew old wounds, and its ears had been cropped for fighting, Borgal said.

“I’ve been working in this business for 35 years, and I’m just shocked that this dog was dumped to die,’’ he said.

Members of the Animal Rescue League brought the dog to Tufts Veterinary Hospital in Walpole, where her wounds were cleaned and she was treated with antibiotics and fluids, Animal Rescue League spokeswoman Jennifer Wooliscroft said. The dog had a high fever and was covered in fleas, she said.

“I don’t think she would have survived even a few more hours if she hadn’t been found,’’ said Wooliscroft.

Wounded female pit bull recovering - The Boston Globe

I don't get why they didn't just euthanize her. They're going to end up euthanizing her in about 6 months anyway.

I don't get why they didn't just euthanize her. They're going to end up euthanizing her in about 6 months anyway.

Because they hope that it will prove unnecessary, that the quarantine will find she is free of problems, and that some caring soul from the area will adopt her.

A severely wounded and hypothermic bait dog believed to be used to test other dogs’ fighting instincts was found abandoned and shivering near a busy Hyde Park road Monday night, according to the Animal Rescue League of Boston.

The dog, a female pit bull around 3 years old, was found by an animal control officer, curled in a ball with open wounds in a wooded area next to Smithfield Road near Turtle Park Parkway around 10:30 p.m.

A passerby who called 911 to report the dog, which rescuers named Turtle, returned to the scene to help an animal control officer search for the animal, said Lieutenant Alan Borgal, director of the Center for Animal Protection.

Borgal said that when he arrived on scene, he knew the dog was used as a bait dog because of the type of wounds and the severity of her scars.

The dog also had makeshift sutures where its owner had tried to sew old wounds, and its ears had been cropped for fighting, Borgal said.

“I’ve been working in this business for 35 years, and I’m just shocked that this dog was dumped to die,’’ he said.

Members of the Animal Rescue League brought the dog to Tufts Veterinary Hospital in Walpole, where her wounds were cleaned and she was treated with antibiotics and fluids, Animal Rescue League spokeswoman Jennifer Wooliscroft said. The dog had a high fever and was covered in fleas, she said.

“I don’t think she would have survived even a few more hours if she hadn’t been found,’’ said Wooliscroft.

because it wouldn't make the papers, and the ensuing donations would not be forthcoming, IMO.

i don't really care, but i can't think of any other reason to keep it alive.

Because they hope that it will prove unnecessary, that the quarantine will find she is free of problems, and that some caring soul from the area will adopt her.

And then in 6 months, that caring soul's 2 year old will have his face torn off when he grabs the dog's tail...then the dog will be euthanized.

Mayby not my friend. There is always a caring someone out there who will adopt. I myself have 4 dogs. One is a rescue dog, my BC Jake, I have two adopted from our local shelter, Murph and Zip and my German Shepher Andy who I purchased as a pup. It will all depend on her and her temprement. She could very well end up in a good home. More power to her.

A lot will depend on her temprement but if its good she could very well be adopted by a caring person out there. If not then euthanazia will probably happen.

Dog fighting is a vicious sport. I live down here in Florida and believe me its rampant down here. I've seen dogs that have been used for fighting both alive and dead and its not a good way for any animal to die. They will never cathch the "owners" and the" sport" will go on.

A lot will depend on her temprement but if its good she could very well be adopted by a caring person out there. If not then euthanazia will probably happen.

Dog fighting is a vicious sport. I live down here in Florida and believe me its rampant down here. I've seen dogs that have been used for fighting both alive and dead and its not a good way for any animal to die. They will never cathch the "owners" and the" sport" will go on.

I'm glad they are going to give this dog a chance. I friend of mine found an escaped pit bull bait dog running around wounded in traffic. She kept her and 9 years later the dog is still the best pet she could ever ask for. Great with kids, especially my friend's 3 year old.

They will eventually put an end to dog fighting or at least successfully cut down on it. People who engage in that kind of animal torture are the scum of the earth.

Methinks I must have hit a raw nerve in the other thread. I've come to notice that whenever I piss you off about something up pops an anti pit bull thread authored by you. :eusa_whistle:

because it wouldn't make the papers, and the ensuing donations would not be forthcoming, IMO.

What causes you to be so cynical as to think that the ARL only rescues abused and lost animals because there is supposedly money to made off it?

And then in 6 months, that caring soul's 2 year old will have his face torn off when he grabs the dog's tail...then the dog will be euthanized.
What ignorance!
You may be a doctor but you would have failed veterinary school.

What causes you to be so cynical as to think that the ARL only rescues abused and lost animals because there is supposedly money to made off it?

what causes you to jump to the conclusion that that's what i think?

that's clearly not what i said.

That's what it sounds like to me. Maybe you can rephrase it.

okay. i think that their main reason to keep that particular dog alive was to draw attention and money to the plight of all animals. i also think it's a good idea.

Methinks I must have hit a raw nerve in the other thread. I've come to notice that whenever I piss you off about something up pops an anti pit bull thread authored by you. :eusa_whistle:

Sensitive much?

There is nothing anti-pit bull about this thread. :cuckoo:

okay. i think that their main reason to keep that particular dog alive was to draw attention and money to the plight of all animals. i also think it's a good idea.
From what I understand they keep all animals alive that stand a chance for recovery and adoption. Thanks to spay/neuter programs, in MA very few dogs are put down due to lack of homes available nowadays . The shelters now bring them up from shelters down south and in PR because there is more demand here than supply.

If the Animal Rescue League contacted the Globe to let them know about this story to get more donations all the more power to them. I guess I did misread your post. I'm glad they rescued the dog too.

If anyone is inspired to send them a donation here is a link:
Animal Rescue League of Boston: Ways to Give to the Animal Rescue League of Boston

What ignorance!
You may be a doctor but you would have failed veterinary school.

Possibly.

However, I would have some significant concerns that this dog would ever be a safe animal to be around small humans. You cannot convince me that it would not have PTSD.

Sensitive much?

There is nothing anti-pit bull about this thread. :cuckoo:

So go ahead, make a donation. ;)

Forum List

Back