Pissed

No, I'm not angry. I was just thinking about this word. Apart from Dr Grump, Roomy and me and anyone else with a UK/AUS/NZ background, I would reckon most readers would see "pissed"="angry".

Some non UK/AUS/NZers might know that "pissed"= drunk in UK/AUS/NZ.

So, I could be pissed+pissed posting here. Or I could just be pissed.

Or I could get pissed after reading a few posts.

Funny thing though, the synonym for "angry" how passed into Australian casual language. But we tend to say "pissed off" which is, I think, the usual full expression in American. Americans drop the "off" and still understand that it means "angry".

Okay, I'm going to piss off now :D
So if ya get "pissed," does that make you a "tosser" or a "wanker?"

An excellent question. If you get pissed and annoy everyone it makes you a wanker. If you annoy everyone without getting pissed it makes you a tosser. :)

Aaaaahh... now I know. Thanks diuretic.

At the last Harley dealer I worked at, we used to go around calling each other a wanker and a tosser with our best put on Irish accent... :lol:

In spite of that, I still say we don't speak 'English' in the USA, we speak 'American'...

Ax any yo posse, y'all... jus' ax 'em.

-Joe

Aaaahh... I'd say that sounds more like ebonics than American Joe... just sayin'... :eusa_eh:

I've seen enough people for whom "Instant angry asshole - just add alcohol" is a truism, that I can appreciate the co-connotations of 'pissed' :)booze:) and 'pissed' :)mad:)...

In spite of that, I still say we don't speak 'English' in the USA, we speak 'American'...

-Joe

You're right. You definitely don't speak English in America.

No, I'm not angry. I was just thinking about this word. Apart from Dr Grump, Roomy and me and anyone else with a UK/AUS/NZ background, I would reckon most readers would see "pissed"="angry".

Funny thing though, the synonym for "angry" how passed into Australian casual language. But we tend to say "pissed off" which is, I think, the usual full expression in American. Americans drop the "off" and still understand that it means "angry".

my favorite british colloquialism is bugger.

Now, bugger off mate!

smeghead! :D

my favorite british colloquialism is bugger.

Now, bugger off mate!

smeghead! :D

Uuugh!

You're taking the piss, mate.

Very gently :eusa_angel:

I've seen enough people for whom "Instant angry asshole - just add alcohol" is a truism, that I can appreciate the co-connotations of 'pissed' :)booze:) and 'pissed' :)mad:)...

-Joe

I love that "ax", I first heard it on a talk radio station in LA and the interviewer was putting questions to Jesse Jackson and he said, "I gotta ax you this question Rev..." I thought it was great!

Does anyone else see the irony in this thread?

I don't do irony, it's too subtle. :eusa_shhh:

A thread called "PISSED" written by someone named "Diuretic"...

I guess you have to be in the medical field to find it funny! :lol::lol::lol:

Ha! I didn't even get it myself! Just goes to show, in my own mind the nick has taken on a life of its own and isn't related to the small green bottle my eyes fell on a couple of years ago when I was asked to nominate a nickname....:redface:

I don't do irony, it's too subtle. :eusa_shhh:

Ha! I didn't even get it myself! Just goes to show, in my own mind the nick has taken on a life of its own and isn't related to the small green bottle my eyes fell on a couple of years ago when I was asked to nominate a nickname....:redface:

Makes sense...

So I supppose you could have just as easily been called "Laxative" or "Ipecac" or "Douche".

Makes sense...

So I supppose you could have just as easily been called "Laxative" or "Ipecac" or "Douche".

My regular joke is that I'm really glad my eyes didn't fall on a tube of Preparation-H but I'm sure others would consider Laxative, Ipecac (gag) and Douche to be entirely appropriate :lol:

Forum List

Back