Piss Christ, 'Art', And Violence...

paulitician

Platinum Member
Oct 7, 2011
An interesting article from Emily Esfahani Smith.

“Piss Christ” has been resurrected.

Or, at least, the controversy surrounding it has been raised from the dead, now that it is back in New York at the Edward Tyler Nahem Gallery (through October 26) in an exhibit called “Body and Spirit” which celebrates the life and work of its creator, the artist Andres Serrano.

Over 20 years ago, in 1989, the hazy image of a crucified Christ, submerged in a jar of Serrano’s urine, created a public firestorm when conservative Sen. Alfonse D’Amato (R-NY) deplored it on the Senate floor as a “despicable display of vulgarity” — one that had, no less, been funded by taxpayers. Serrano was radical, but he wasn’t that radical: The so-called avant-garde artist received government support to the tune of $15,000 for the work.

Today, what’s astonishing about Piss Christ is not its vulgarity or shock-value; it is a completely mundane work of “art” which has aged as well as a cheap wine spritzer. The only merit it has is as an historical artifact of the culture wars.

No, what’s astonishing is that despite its third-rate stature, it continues, after all these years, to provoke its intended target to disturbing outbursts of anger and violence.

On Palm Sunday in 2011, for instance, a group of radical young Christians stormed a gallery in Avignon, France, which was displaying Piss Christ as part of an exhibit. They made their way past security, threatened a guard with a hammer, broke through the Plexiglas protecting the image, and slashed it with a sharp object. In 1997 at the National Gallery of Victoria in Australia, the work was also vandalized, and gallery officials received death threats for showing it. In 2007, a group of neo-Nazis attacked a Serrano show in Sweden (though Piss Christ was not on display there).

Are there parallels to the recent shocking events in the Middle East, where, on the eleventh anniversary of 9/11, Islamists stormed the American embassies in Cairo and Benghazi, burning American flags and killing U.S. diplomats? Yes and no. The Islamists, too, were protesting an offense to the faith: a bizarre 14-minute anti-Islam YouTube video, “The Innocence of Muslims.”

On the other hand, no one expects Christian groups to start murdering innocent people over the exhibit.

Still, the Muslim reaction to the video and Christian reaction to Piss Christ raise a puzzling question: Why were members of each faith moved to destroy the object (or stand-ins for the object) that offended them? Why did they overreact to these C-grade works?...

Read more: Piss Christ, art, and violence | The Daily Caller

Just a couple questions...

When will Obama be condemning this filth and it's creator?

When will Christians demand the imprisonment of its creator?

Not gonna happen. The Left has had a bizarre hatred for Christians for many years. And now they're beginning to openly express this same hatred for Jews as well. Yet at the same time, they're continuing their strange love affair with Muslims. I don't get em. But it is what it is i guess.

Not gonna happen. The Left has had a bizarre hatred for Christians for many years. And now they're beginning to openly express this same hatred for Jews as well. Yet at the same time, they're continuing their strange love affair with Muslims. I don't get em. But it is what it is i guess.

Why do Liberals love Muslims? if the Muslims took over the world, all the liberals would be beheaded right away before any of us.

Why do Liberals love Muslims? if the Muslims took over the world, all the liberals would be beheaded right away before any of us.

That's why i called it bizarre hatred and strange love affair. They're very confused people. Your assessment is 100% accurate.

Last edited:

That's why i called it bizarre hatred and strange love affair. They're very confused people. Your assessment is 100% accurate.

All the things that liberals support like gay marriage, tolerance etc are NOT practiced or taught in Islam, anywhere. I don't see how this relationship can work.

Why do conz think liberals love Muslims? I don't know a single liberal who does for the exact reason you mentioned. But then most of the liberal I know don't hate Christians either. However they are not fond of Extremist or Religionist of any religion.

Why do conz think liberals love Muslims? I don't know a single liberal who does for the exact reason you mentioned. But then most of the liberal I know don't hate Christians either. However they are not fond of Extremist or Religionist of any religion.

Well "love" may be going too far, but you can easily find liberals on this board defending Muslims, even after the execution of our Ambassador and sacking of our consulate in Benghazi.

They don't love Muslims for their religion..they love them because they attack and kill Christian Americans.

Liar.

Why does it come off that way at times?

I see many libs scream for the arrest of the 'hate mongering YouTube video producer", I have seen some on this board call for his death. I have seen them say he is a hate filled racist. I have even seen some say he was a murderer and blame the actions of others on him. But each time the 'Piss Christ" is brought up, its maker is not called a bigot, a racist, nor do I hear calls for his death. I always hear, that's different, or 'it's art". "It was not meant to inflame". I do not hear anyone condemning the government for financing such.

One either condemns all forms of supposed 'blasphemy" or none at all. Free speech does not just cover some, while others can shit all over whatever religion they please. Look at Youtube now, you will find ‘movies’ where the Bible is being burned and desecrated along with the Torah.

Where is the same outrage and calls for such ‘blasphemy’ to stop?

Well "love" may be going too far, but you can easily find liberals on this board defending Muslims, even after the execution of our Ambassador and sacking of our consulate in Benghazi.

Okay I'll defend their right to believe in whatever supernatural creature they want to, but I will not defend their treatment of women, or some of other tenents I've heard of. Not all Muslims are radical Islamics just like not all Jews are Zionist. Who is defending the Muslims who murdered our Ambassador?

Liar.

Let me retort in kind.

Am not.

CaféAuLait;6098462 said:

Why does it come off that way at times?

I see many libs scream for the arrest of the 'hate mongering YouTube video producer", I have seen some on this board call for his death. I have seen them say he is a hate filled racist. I have even seen some say he was a murderer and blame the actions of others on him. But each time the 'Piss Christ" is brought up, its maker is not called a bigot, a racist, nor do I hear calls for his death. I always hear, that's different, or 'it's art". "It was not meant to inflame". I do not hear anyone condemning the government for financing such.

One either condemns all forms of supposed 'blasphemy" or none at all. Free speech does not just cover some, while others can shit all over whatever religion they please. Look at Youtube now, you will find ‘movies’ where the Bible is being burned and desecrated along with the Torah.

Where is the same outrage and calls for such ‘blasphemy’ to stop?

Perhaps we have a different opinion on what a liberal is?

Forum List

Back