PIRATES DECLARE THEY INTEND TO RETALIATE! Oh my...

Aug 18, 2008
Comcast.net: US captain freed; Somali pirates vow to retaliate

NAIROBI, Kenya — Three flawless shots. Three pirates killed. Bracing themselves on a rolling warship in choppy seas, U.S. Navy snipers took down a trio of Somali pirates with single shots, freeing the American sea captain being held at gunpoint, a Navy commander said Monday.

Angry pirates vowed retaliation for the deaths, raising fears for the safety of some 230 foreign sailors still held hostage in more than a dozen ships anchored off the coast of lawless Somalia.

"From now on, if we capture foreign ships and their respective countries try to attack us, we will kill them (the hostages)," Jamac Habeb, a 30-year-old pirate, told The Associated Press from one of Somalia's piracy hubs, Eyl. "(U.S. forces have) become our No. 1 enemy."

Well we're in for it now... :eusa_eh:

LOL... Oh who's kiddin' who, I can't EVEN keep a straight face on this one...

The "We just make it easier for them to recruit Pirates..." and the "This is why they HATE US!" crowd can now begin to rally around this one...

Enjoy...

Discuss and spew... which ever is called for by your respective natures...

Last edited:
well, it actually started out like something i might actually agree with...

which is that the pirates sound like idiots and that it's the same lack of reality that says terrorist acts are retaliation for another country having the nerve to stop bombs from being lobbed at it.

and then you went all psycho on us.

bummer.

Im sure our navy is bored anyway. While their pirates cast small arms fire at our deestroyers we can drop small bombs capsize the boats with the waves generated and practice sniping since Obama is cuting the sniper school bidget. Yup sounds like a win win.

Good! We've got to keep the Navy occupied with this kind of target practice. I mean, the Air Force, Marines and Army were involved in Iraq and Afghanistan.. what did the Navy do? Nothing. 'Bout time we give the biggest, strongest and most bad-ass Navy in the world something to do before they decide to go blow up China or something.

NAIROBI, Kenya — Three flawless shots. Three pirates killed. Bracing themselves on a rolling warship in choppy seas, U.S. Navy snipers took down a trio of Somali pirates with single shots, freeing the American sea captain being held at gunpoint, a Navy commander said Monday.

Angry pirates vowed retaliation for the deaths, raising fears for the safety of some 230 foreign sailors still held hostage in more than a dozen ships anchored off the coast of lawless Somalia.

"From now on, if we capture foreign ships and their respective countries try to attack us, we will kill them (the hostages)," Jamac Habeb, a 30-year-old pirate, told The Associated Press from one of Somalia's piracy hubs, Eyl. "(U.S. forces have) become our No. 1 enemy."

The "We just make it easier for them to recruit Pirates..." and the "This is why they HATE US!" crowd can now begin to rally around this one...

Enjoy...

I don't think anyone's going to compare actions taken in a hostage situation with pirates to the sorry clusterfuck in the Middle East.
Besides, this operation was a success...they actually took out the bad guys and didn't instead invade Spain or some other such stupid shit.

Although there's one valid comparison...like Iraq under Saddam, in spite of all the posturing and sabre-rattling, the pirates aren't any real threat to our nation.

They will likely be a threat to U.S. ships in that part of the world, though...I think our ship's crews should be armed and trained to repel attacks. The next crew these characters get their hands on will likely be slaughtered in retaliation...we should make sure our sailors have the capability to defend themselves.

This is not a seaborne operation folks. If we intend to fix it and not just stem the bleeding, it will require a land operation. You know that line in the Marine Hymm that goes "...to the shores of Tripoli... That was from the Barbary wars against the pirates. We'll have to go to Somalia and cut out the pirate's heart.

If we don't have the balls for that operation, we can entertain ourselves by permenantly stationing 3 or 4 Iwo Jima class assault carriers with attack helos and Harriers to patrol the area and shoot up the bad guys.

Let's see what kind of political will Obama has.....the world will be watching.

Enjoy...

I don't think anyone's going to compare actions taken in a hostage situation with pirates to the sorry clusterfuck in the Middle East.
Besides, this operation was a success...they actually took out the bad guys and didn't instead invade Spain or some other such stupid shit.

Although there's one valid comparison...like Iraq under Saddam, in spite of all the posturing and sabre-rattling, the pirates aren't any real threat to our nation.

They will likely be a threat to U.S. ships in that part of the world, though...I think our ship's crews should be armed and trained to repel attacks. The next crew these characters get their hands on will likely be slaughtered in retaliation...we should make sure our sailors have the capability to defend themselves.

You know many countries do not allow weapons on civilian ships right? Are you suggesting we should just not have trade with those countries or we violate their laws?

This is not a seaborne operation folks. If we intend to fix it and not just stem the bleeding, it will require a land operation. You know that line in the Marine Hymm that goes "...to the shores of Tripoli... That was from the Barbary wars against the pirates. We'll have to go to Somalia and cut out the pirate's heart.

Yep. You're right. Look no further than Lord Palmerston, British Foreign Secretary in 1841 and one of the greatest advocates of gunboat diplomacy, for the right sort of advice.

Speaking in defence of a British naval officer who attacked the shore base of slavers, he said; "Taking a wasps' nest... is more effective than catching the wasps one by one,"

Denman had attacked and destroyed slave quarters on the West African coast and had been sued by the Spanish owners for damages.

In other news...

A group of bank robbers vow to fight back against the police that killed one of their team members.

"From now on, if we are robbing a bank and the city cops try to stop us, we will kill them (the hostages)," Bob Smith, a 30-year-old bank robber, told The Associated Press. "(The city cops have) become our No. 1 enemy."

What these pirate don't seem to realize is that there are consequences to breaking the law.

Be serious, Pubes, this isn't gonna get the pirates more recruits. I think STARVATION and a NON-STATE has that pretty much covered.

Though I do agree with Teq_Esq, in the case of Somalia, it's gonna remain like this unless the whole international community gets serious about dealing with the problem, and I'm talking troops, nation-building, a mini-marshall plan, the whole thing to get the place cleaned up and going. Wouldn't be cheap, but if we all put in a bit we can diffuse the losses, and who knows, how much is it gonna cost to keep having skirmishes every summer for the next 200 years? I say we deal with it now.

Station a helo carrier out in the middle of the place at one end, and one at the other......

Outfit both helo carriers with Predator drones for patrolling, and Reaper drones equipped with Hellfire missiles and gatling guns for shooting.

I figure after the first group of pirates that gets turned into kindling and fish food will be sufficient warning for the others.

I thought I heard an admiral say precisely that he expected violence to increase over this incident.

However, I don't think they had a choice but to kill the pirates. Considering that they shot them at sea at distance not once but three times is pretty amazing.

New Topics

Forum List

Back