Pirates Collect $150M Over Past Year at Expense of Global Economy

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by CrimsonWhite, Nov 21, 2008.

1. CrimsonWhite

CrimsonWhite *****istrator Emeritus Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,757
    Unbelievable.

2. Epsilon Delta

Epsilon Delta Jedi Master

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +364
    I saw the news on the day they captured that huge tanker. It's absolutely unbelievable! You hear about the Somali pirates but I always imagined they went for small catch. Guess not. This could just get worse.

3. NOBama

NOBama Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +173
    It truely is unbelievable. These people have become so wealthy that they now have big enough ships to take them anywhere in international waters. They can get within several miles of their target and send 2 or 3 speed boats in to capture it. They've taken piracy to a whole new level.

If a fella had a mind to, now would be a great time to start a floating security company to protect the shipping lanes. It probably wouldn't be too hard to sell that idea either.

4. J. Law

J. Law BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Are not pirates considered as hostis humanis generis or the enemy of all nations? As such, can our country not arrest and prosecute them? I believe we can... the law of nations considers piracy as a crime against all nations and anybody can act to stop them. Else, new breed of terror will be amongst us.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  5. NOBama

NOBama Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +173

Legal-dictionary (yes, I had to look that one up!) takes the definition a step further:

Pirata est hostis humani generis. A pirate is an enemy of the human race. 3 Co. Inst. 113.

The biggest problem would be catching them, I would think. These people are willing to blow-up multi billion dollar ships if their demands are not meant, so they claim. This has to be a nightmare for shipping and insurance companies.

As far as deterrence, I know the Coast Guard patrols some shipping lanes but, they are too few and don't have the equipment to deal with high speed bat boats. I remember when I was in the CG we could hardly keep up with Russian trawlers when we caught them lurking within the 200 mile limit. Of course, they weren't really trawlers, they were trawlers being used for covert ops.

I question that 150M$ figure. It seems too low, for a variety of reasons.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. DavidS

DavidS Anti-Tea Party Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +767
    I think the biggest pirate is sitting at the desk of the Treasury Secretary right now. $150 million vs. $700 billion. Why isn't Paulson being arrested again?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    You're the one with the inside scoop on all the High financial types--you tell us ? and Why isn't Greenspan in jail with him ?

8. DavidS

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +767
    Greenspan wasn't the one who threatened marhsall law if they didn't pass the bill. Greenspan wasn't the one who, once he got the $700 billion, gave half of it to his friends in the banking industry. Greenspan didn't see this coming. None of us saw it coming... it's like 9/11. Why didn't Clinton or Bush see it coming? It's not their fault that they didn't see it coming. What did they do once they knew there was a problem?

Greenspan hasn't been in the chair for years. He's an innocent bystander. Paulson on the other hand...

9. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    Oh garbage, David---don't tell me Greenspan didn't see this crap coming---others have been predicting it for YEARS. People have been screaming to put a stop to these insane financial practices.

10. DavidS

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +767
    Then why didn't the Republicans do it? They had control of Congress since 1994, save losing control of the Senate for a term, but they very well could have created legislation in the House. Why didn't Bush do anything? Why didn't Paul O'Neil or John Snow do anything to stop it?