Pioneer Pot States Have Collected More Than $200 Million In Marijuana Taxes

I've heard of people getting them illegally from other countries or even other states online, but I don't hear too much about people getting busted for dealing in illegal cigarettes.

Sell 'Em if You Got 'Em: Cigarette Taxes Help Make Smuggling Smokes Profitable

A trunk or a truck filled with cases of smokes can yield a five-to-seven-figure payday. It’s a temptation that many—including small-time criminals, cops, military personnel, convenience store owners, cigarette wholesalers, and organized crime—can’t pass up. A roundup of recent stories:

Yes, I've heard of it before, but not very often. Are blackmarket cigarette dealings really a HUGE problem today in America? I think not. They probably would be if they were made illegal though.

It's a problem because:

1) A loss of tax revenue
2) Government has to waste time enforcing it
3) Creates a general disrespect for the law.
4) The profits have begun to get to the point where violence is becoming part of the equation.

The fact remains that it is LESS of a problem when legalized. The lessens illegal demand for the product.

From a law enforcement point yes. We still need to see how legalization impacts things like driving while impaired, or increases in access to underage users. That type of data takes years to develop.

I don't expect any real difference at all. Underaged users were able to procure it before and those inclined to be stoned everyday were still stoned everyday.

Where I think the biggest difference will be Is with people like me who enjoy pot but didn't use it because of the legal risks associated with it.
When legalized, I will be happily mowing my lawn sporting a shit eating grin.

Yes, I've heard of it before, but not very often. Are blackmarket cigarette dealings really a HUGE problem today in America? I think not. They probably would be if they were made illegal though.

It's a problem because:

1) A loss of tax revenue
4) The profits have begun to get to the point where violence is becoming part of the equation.

The fact remains that it is LESS of a problem when legalized. The lessens illegal demand for the product.

From a law enforcement point yes. We still need to see how legalization impacts things like driving while impaired, or increases in access to underage users. That type of data takes years to develop.

I don't expect any real difference at all. Underaged users were able to procure it before and those inclined to be stoned everyday were still stoned everyday.

Where I think the biggest difference will be Is with people like me who enjoy pot but didn't use it because of the legal risks associated with it.

In most states all the risk was on the seller, in NYC getting caught with less than an 1/8th is a violation, not even a misdemeanor.

It's a problem because:

1) A loss of tax revenue

In most states all the risk was on the seller, in NYC getting caught with less than an 1/8th is a violation, not even a misdemeanor.

A misdemeanor is a risk for a family man.
I typically don't expose my family to stupid shit like losing my job for getting caught up in a drug sting. I think that holds true for most responsible people.

I will however imbibe discreetly on my own time once that risk is removed.

It's a problem because:

1) A loss of tax revenue

I typically don't expose my family to stupid shit like losing my job for getting caught up in a drug sting. I think that holds true for most responsible people.

True, there is a risk when it is "illegal" like in NY, and I do understand your caution. I've been a here and there toker since 19 years old, and have not ever had an issue. in NYC they worry about harder drugs, unless you are an idiot and you smoke it in public.

True, there is a risk when it is "illegal" like in NY, and I do understand your caution. I've been a here and there toker since 19 years old, and have not ever had an issue. in NYC they worry about harder drugs, unless you are an idiot and you smoke it in public.

It all depends on who you know. When I have friends who smoke I smoke as I trust the source. I won't go calling someone I don't know though. It's different in the burbs. I lived in LA for several years and acquired it easily and smoked frequently because it was everywhere and everyone smoked to some degree.
It's on the ballot for my state in November and the polling looks good so hopefully it will never be a problem for me.

So liberals have vamp sucked $200 million dollars out of the pockets of the poor and middle class, while addling their brains with drugs, and they celebrate this? WTF libs.
You'd rather it go into the pockets of narco-terrorists?

How about letting the poor and middle class keep their money. Libs have a nasty habit of sinking their vamp fangs into the poor and middle class while claiming to be their friends. Damn with friends like liberals who needs enemies.

So liberals have vamp sucked $200 million dollars out of the pockets of the poor and middle class, while addling their brains with drugs, and they celebrate this? WTF libs.
How about letting the poor and middle class keep their money. Libs have a nasty habit of sinking their vamp fangs into the poor and middle class while claiming to be their friends. Damn with friends like liberals who needs enemies.
Red states have sales taxes, too. It's not just for liberals, so... :cool-45:

Red states have sales taxes, too. It's not just for liberals, so... :cool-45:

We are talking about liberals who claim to be BFF of the poor and middle class yet who vamp onto them sucking them dry with taxes and fees.

Forum List

Back