Pink Locker Room? How Demeaning!!

speederdoc

Jan 13, 2005
Houston
Opponents seeing red over Iowa's pink locker room
Associated Press

IOWA CITY, Iowa -- The pink visitors' locker room at the University of Iowa's stadium is making some people see red.

Several professors and students joined the call Tuesday for the athletic department to do away with the pink showers, carpeting and lockers, a decades-long Hawkeye football tradition.

Critics say the use of pink demeans women, perpetuates offensive stereotypes about women and homosexuality, and puts the university in the uncomfortable position of tacitly supporting those messages.

''I want the locker room gone,'' law school professor Jill Gaulding told a university committee studying the athletic department's compliance with NCAA standards, including gender equity.

For decades, visiting football teams playing at Kinnick Stadium have dressed and showered in the pink locker room. The tradition was started by former Iowa coach Hayden Fry, a psychology major who said pink had a calming and passive effect on people.

As part of the stadium's two-year, $88 million makeover, athletic officials took the former coach's interior decorating ideas to another level, splashing pink across the brick walls, shower floors and installing pink metal lockers, carpeting, sinks, showers and urinals.
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2174828

Another load of PC to stack on the pile.

• Thanks
Reactions: dmp
I'm sorry Speeder I'm a dum dum I just posted about this too....

Nevertheless, this is some really stupid, pathetic crap. This is what our colleges are focusing on instead of competing with the Chinese, Indians and Europeans in the new world market. Utter crap.

what color would the law professor like......btw is blue for a new baby boy and pink for a new baby girl wrong now....

I guess they'll have to go with light green, that's a soothing color also. Just not RED!!!! That'll just get the other team fired up! :whip:

You know, I'm all for doing away with certain types of hate speech and that type of thing to make minorities feel more welcome in society, but this is ridiculous. Pink locker rooms is what home field advantage is all about man!

Hagbard Celine said:
You know, I'm all for doing away with certain types of hate speech and that type of thing to make minorities feel more welcome in society, but this is ridiculous. Pink locker rooms is what home field advantage is all about man!

I'm not. Because where do you draw the line? One day regualr speech could be considered hate speech by some crazy politician. It all depends who is in office. Right now the PC crowd is Liberals and Democrats. What if Conservatives start dictating what hate speech should be?

What if a crazy conservative decided that anyone who bad mouth's conservatives and uses it in a derragatory fashion will be arrested and sentenced to up to 2 years in prison? Does that sit well with you for saying something that was just on your mind?

Right now if someone speaks their mind to the wrong people, they can be jailed for it. Sound unconstitutional to you? It should. Since when did it say in the constitution that everyone has the right to not have their feelings hurt? I do remember the part where it says speech is protected. All Speech. Even the "i hate America and all it stands for" kind of speech is protected. So i hope you stop and really think about these PC laws that are being enacted before one day someone enacts a law that prohibits whatever you happen to be saying on your mind.

Forum List

Back