Pink Floyd's The Wall

Semper Fi

VIP Member
Nov 25, 2003
Wisconsin
Does anyone have an analysis of this movie? I've seen it twice and I thought it was pretty wierd. But I do think it had a strong anti-war theme, thats about it that I got. The Wall part I didnt really get. Before I saw the movie I thought the wall was a wall that was built to prevent people (kids) from becoming what they want to be (from my listening of Another Brick in the Wall Part II). Everyone says the wall was built around Pink's feelings. Could be true, and the wall's construction could have been summoned by Pink's fathr's death in WWII. thus being anti-war.

Also, that could be the reason for the chanting of "we dont need no education" in another brick in the wall part 2. If they're just going to die, then they dont need to learn anything anyway...

So whats your input?

The Wall is a psychological construct behind which Pink (Roger Waters) would hide from the world he despised.

The overprotectiveness of his mother, his wife's infidelity, the totalitarianism of the English education system with it's assembly line mentality, and most of all the loss of his father and the war that took him, all serve as 'bricks' Pink uses as excuses to shut himself away from the world. His abuse of drugs and alcohol cemented the wall.

Roger has always been quite bitter about his father's death in Europe (Stuka dive bomber) and it has manifested itself in his anti-war lyrics. There are elements of it in Wish You Were Here, Dark Side of the Moon, Animals, The Final Cut, and most obviously The Wall.

Zhukov pretty much nailed it on the head. The begining pretty much shows you how his wall was built. The ending shows him venturing into the unknown world that he refused to join for so long.

I havent seen the movie in years but i listen to the album like once a month or so.

Forum List

Back