Pink Floyd- new album

JoeB131

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2011
Chicago, Chicago, that Toddling Town
Pink Floyd Roll Out Plans For The Endless River Rolling Stone

After months of rumors, Pink Floyd have finally announced the details of their new album The Endless River, which hits shelves on November 10th. It's the group’s first new release since 1994’s The Division Bell. According to a press release, The Endless River is a “four-sided instrumental album,” though one track, “Louder Than Words,” has lyrics by David Gilmour’s wife Polly Samson. It was produced by Gilmour, Phil Manzanera, Youth and Andy Jackson...

The project began with Gilmour and Floyd drummer Nick Mason sorting through music they recorded with keyboardist Rick Wright (who died in 2008) during the Division Bell sessions. "We listened to over 20 hours of the three of us playing together and selected the music we wanted to work on for the new album," Gilmour said in a statement. "Over the last year we've added new parts, re-recorded others and generally harnessed studio technology to make a 21st century Pink Floyd album. With Rick gone, and with him the chance of ever doing it again, it feels right that these revisited and reworked tracks should be made available as part of our repertoire."

I admit mixed feelings about this. What they are doing is taking stuff they really didn't think was good enough to get on an album 20 years ago and they are releasing it now?

Pink Floyd Roll Out Plans For The Endless River Rolling Stone

After months of rumors, Pink Floyd have finally announced the details of their new album The Endless River, which hits shelves on November 10th. It's the group’s first new release since 1994’s The Division Bell. According to a press release, The Endless River is a “four-sided instrumental album,” though one track, “Louder Than Words,” has lyrics by David Gilmour’s wife Polly Samson. It was produced by Gilmour, Phil Manzanera, Youth and Andy Jackson...

The project began with Gilmour and Floyd drummer Nick Mason sorting through music they recorded with keyboardist Rick Wright (who died in 2008) during the Division Bell sessions. "We listened to over 20 hours of the three of us playing together and selected the music we wanted to work on for the new album," Gilmour said in a statement. "Over the last year we've added new parts, re-recorded others and generally harnessed studio technology to make a 21st century Pink Floyd album. With Rick gone, and with him the chance of ever doing it again, it feels right that these revisited and reworked tracks should be made available as part of our repertoire."

I admit mixed feelings about this. What they are doing is taking stuff they really didn't think was good enough to get on an album 20 years ago and they are releasing it now?

Well, it does say the tracks were reworked and that they've added on, so maybe they are better now? Personally, I prefer old school Pink Floyd.

Here's what really bugs me. What led to the breakup of Pink Floyd back in the 1980's was that Gilmour complained that what eventually became The Final Cut (A truly underrated album) was stuff that wasn't good enough to get on The Wall. "The same damned songs. No one thought they were any good then, they aren't good now."

Now here he is, taking a bunch of recordings that were clearly not good enough to get on Momentary Lapse of Reason or The Division Bell - two TRULY mediocre albums, and shucks, we are going to release them now because what, Roger is getting too much attention on his Wall tour? .

But I'll probably buy it anyway.

Well, I did buy it. Muzak even an Elevator wouldn't love.

It's pretty much all instrumentals, only the last song out of 18 tracks has lyrics. Nothing really stands out to me after the first listen.

Well, I did buy it. Muzak even an Elevator wouldn't love.

It's pretty much all instrumentals, only the last song out of 18 tracks has lyrics. Nothing really stands out to me after the first listen.

I haven't heard anything about it, which is interesting. They haven't really done much to advertise it. I do like instrumentals though.

That explains what I was thinking when I heard some tracks from the new album. I thought it sound entirely like stuff they had already done ... More of a "retread". I have also heard the new U2 album ... And their stuff sounded like U2, but also sounded fresh with a lot of changes.

Forum List

Back