Pink Floyd: Most overrated band ever?

Q: What did the stoner Floyd fan say when he ran out of drugs?

A: To date, nobody can say. But if it ever happens, we'll let you know....if we remember the question, that is.

:lol:

I still think the term Republican Stoner doesn't make sense.

That list was made by some Internet nerd, anyone can blog and make one.

He's an idiot. Sure, maybe a few on there are overrated, but really. :doubt:

I'd like to see his list of best bands.

Music is subjective, and I listen to a lot of musicians and bands that 90% of America have never heard of, because they aren't "radio" bands.

ditto

I really liked Pink Floyd when I was in high school and for a little while after I graduated. Then it just kind of slowly lost it's appeal to me.

You're welcome to disagree, but IMO Floyd is way overrated. It's pretty rare these days for me to not click away when a Floyd song comes on the radio.

Problem is mani, you just weren't there. Floyd is more than the music. They are part of the coming of age in the 70s generation. In context with the height of their popularity during the 70s, they are one of the best. Their albums -- and I DO mean albums -- were all good thru The Wall. After that, time and culture had passed them by and only the older, hangers-on clamored for their music.

I suppose you think it was great that Culture Club, Michael Jackson, and Duran Duran ran them off the charts? :eusa_whistle:

Quite possibly. Don't get me wrong, Dark Side of the Moon is certainly one of the greatest albums of all time. And The Wall is also a classic. But beyond those, it's mostly just piles upon steaming piles of pretentious crap.

What did the stoner Floyd fan say when he ran out of drugs?

Wow, this music sucks!

When they were popular I was working in an isolated outback town. We couldn't get domestic radio and in those days there was no tv and the newspaper only came in a couple of days a week.

When I returned to civilisation I heard Pink Floyd and I thought - oooookay but so what?

To this day, having missed out on the original hype, they seem to me to be a tiny bit pretentious. But then I still have my Vanilla Fudge vinyls so what would I know? :D

:lol: I really do think Bruce Springsteen's music is good though.

Born in the USA (which Ronald Reagan famously used as his campaign music, though he really didn't know what the song meant. :lol:)

Born to Run, Dancing in the Dark, Glory Days, Jungleland, The River, Streets of Philadelphia, and of course Thunder Road.

That's what I just have on my computer anyway, more on my ipod. :lol:

Born to Run, Jungleland (the "Exxon sign"??) and Thunder Road - great.

Problem is mani, you just weren't there. Floyd is more than the music. They are part of the coming of age in the 70s generation. In context with the height of their popularity during the 70s, they are one of the best. Their albums -- and I DO mean albums -- were all good thru The Wall. After that, time and culture had passed them by and only the older, hangers-on clamored for their music.

I suppose you think it was great that Culture Club, Michael Jackson, and Duran Duran ran them off the charts? :eusa_whistle:

Good point - the era of crap - liner notes by one band thanked their bloody hairstylists!

Don't lie ... you know you have all the Tears for Fears cassettes.:eusa_whistle:

Bugger.

I have two Tears for Fears tracks, I really like that little chord thing or whatever they call it in the middle riff in "Everybody Wants to Rule the World".

There goes the last shred of rock cred I ever had, assuming I had any.

Now I'm going to play The Clash really loud.

Call it compensatory behaviour...:eek:

Forum List

Back