Piercing the Sky

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
The public debut of the Texas Department of Transportation’s $6 billion plan to re-route I-45 around downtown Houston has citizens, planners, and city leaders atwitter about whether to demolish or repurpose a section of freeway known as the Pierce Elevated.

Houston needs an urban icon, said Marcus Martinez, a designer at the Houston office of national architecture firm Page. Martinez believes the Pierce can be saved and reprogrammed into an elevated park development connecting Buffalo Bayou, downtown, and adjacent neighborhoods. He has been working pro bono on a proposal called the Pierce Skypark with Tami Merrick and John Cryer, also of Page.

The Pierce Skypark is an optimistic vision to turn a two-mile stretch of elevated freeway (roughly 3 times the size of New York’s High Line) into an amenity for citizens and visitors. Programming above and below the existing structure could range from parks and trails to public space, retail, housing, and office space.

Piercing the Sky - The Architect s Newspaper

and here is the website:
Pierce Sky Park

and here is an article in the Houston Chronicle:
What would it take to turn Pierce Elevated into Pierce Skypark - Houston Chronicle

And here is a competing idea called the Pierce Promenade:
Tear down the Pierce Elevated. Make it Pierce Promenade. - Houston Chronicle

I'm kind of swayed by the Skypark myself. What do you think?

622x350.jpg

I-45 would move sink and shift from Pierce Elevated in TxDOT plan - Houston Chronicle

Picture 13 Green space looks pretty good...............Not from Houston.....but kinda like that one.

If Houston's finances, including the oft overlooked long term liabilities, are as bad as most big cities they'd be prudent to adopt the least expensive plan when taxpayers' dollars are footing the bill.

Forum List

Back