Piece of @$!#

lilcountriegal

Oct 24, 2003
Pennsylvania
To state the obvious, thats what my computer is.

I'll try to make this post short (forgive me if it turns out opposite).

Background:
I run Windows ME on a HP computer that I installed a RW drive on. Other than that, I dont know much more about it.

I ended up getting infected with 2-3 different types of spyware about a month ago that drove me absolutely INSANE. I ended up doing a complete restore to my computer. In doing so, I seem to not be able to work my Kodak digital camera anymore. I still have the picture software.... (previously when getting pics off hte camera, I go into the picture software, clicked to get a picture from file, and had an option to choose from my E:/ removable drive, which is where my memory card was ~ plugged into a USB port). That option is gone now. I've tried to re-install the entire program from the disk but it still doesnt work. The CD drive works, because the CD boots up to install when I put it in.. but the option for the E:/ is no longer there.

Is there anyway to tell if my USB ports are working?

Speak s-l-o-w-l-y please. The only thing I know about computers are how badly I want to smash them.

I'm just at a loss here... I have a $120 camera that I cant seem to get the pictures off. Figured you geniuses might be able to help :)

o k i will speak slowly

just kidding :D

Explain the way the camera connects to the computer.

I have a Sony digital camera that also connects in the same fashion. Technically speaking, you shouldn't have to install any software at all to get the pics off of your camera and on to the computer.

I have a cable that goes from my camera to my pc. The cable is always hanging off the back of my pc. I plug it into my camera and turn the camera on, when I do I hear a "boing" noise from my speakers letting me know a new device has been plugged in. I then go to my computer and my E: appears as a removable device. (this may all be different as I use WindowsXP)

Let's start with basics and see if your USB ports are installed properly:

1)right click on "my computer" and choose PROPERTIES
2)find "device manager"
3)scroll to the bottom of your devices
4)One of the last ones should be "universal serial bus controller"
5)expand this selection by clicking the "+"

Are they listed properly? Anything have a red X or exclamation point next to them?

Also, do you have any other devices attached to the USB ports? (printer, mouse, keyboard...)

Let's start with basics and see if your USB ports are installed properly:

Ok. I did that. I see 2 separate things... 1) Intel 82801AA Universal USB Host Controller and 2) USB Root Hub. Neither have red x's. They both have the same little gray icon that appears on the back of my computer drive. (like a little spike thingy)

Also, do you have any other devices attached to the USB ports? (printer, mouse, keyboard...)

I have two USB ports. One has a webcam (but the webcam isnt installed right now.. still plugged in tho). The other one has my digital camera thing, which leads me to:

Explain the way the camera connects to the computer.

Mine is almost like yours, but different (lol). The cord plugs into the USB port and stays there (I dont remove it). However, mine doesnt connect into my digital cam. It has a slot on the end of the cord which I put my memory card in (I think its technically named a card reader lol).

Mine also said removable device... I just had "drive" in there by accident... been so damn long since I've seen it lol.

Ok. I did that. I see 2 separate things... 1) Intel 82801AA Universal USB Host Controller and 2) USB Root Hub. Neither have red x's. They both have the same little gray icon that appears on the back of my computer drive. (like a little spike thingy)

Ok, that's all proper and the way it should be.

Since it's a removable device, you will only see the option for "E:" when it's properly detected and installed, when you unplug the device it goes away.

The card readers usually have an led (some sort of light) to let you know when it's plugged in properly, as they usually get their power from the USB port. Do you have any indicators to show when the reader is properly attached?

The card readers usually have an led (some sort of light) to let you know when it's plugged in properly, as they usually get their power from the USB port. Do you have any indicators to show when the reader is properly attached?

Yes... it has a light on it, and yes the light is on. The memory card is plugged into it right now (if that matters).

do you know the exact name of the card reader?

It has Kodak on the top (where the light is). If you flip it over, it says:
KOdak USB Picture Card Reader (Service Code 3901 Part No 5E9510, Serial # KTSAA 03427919, Model # CFS Bella USB).. oh & it says Made in Taiwan (go figure).

One last thing that I just thought of in case its important: When I did the restore to my computer, I didnt unplug the USB cords (from this card reader or my webcam) when it was restoring.

Is this the one you have?

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/service/faqs/faq1623.shtml

Do you have the manual still? If not, the install section of that page may be of assistance - almost all card readers operate in the same way.

Yes... it has a light on it, and yes the light is on. The memory card is plugged into it right now (if that matters).

Instead of the software, did you open my computer and see if the card reader drive is listed there? It sounds like the system has recognized it properly, just not the software.

One last thing that I just thought of in case its important: When I did the restore to my computer, I didnt unplug the USB cords (from this card reader or my webcam) when it was restoring.

That shouldn't matter.

If all else fails, follow these steps

1)unplug USB cable and reader from PC
2) remove kodak software
3)reboot
4)install kodak software
5)reboot
6)plug in card reader
7)insert memory
see if it's in my computer - or if it makes a noise when inserted.

Here's Kodak's support division for their card readers:

In the U.S., call toll free 1-800-235-6325, 9:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. (EST) Monday through Friday.

(I think we can fix it here, but they probably know their product best!)

Thanks Jim.

I've already tried to reinstall the card reader from the disk and it doesnt do anything. I'll follow the "unplug", "remove", 'reboot" suggestions probably tomorrow. I'll let you know if it works.

Thanks for the help so far!

Originally posted by Jackass
Did I hear webcam??? Naughty Naughty Naughty!!! :D

Can I get a username and a password?? LOL

Nice catch, Jackass!!

So how's about it gal, when we going live? :wank:

You guys are AWESOME! My idols even!

:hail: :bow2: :hail: :bow2:

Everything is working great. Thanks a bunch for walking me through that.

I just grabbed a quick picture off. My daughter on Halloween:

New Topics

Forum List

Back