Pie

Tommy Tainant

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2016
Y Cae Ras
images

This one is a steak and kidney pie. We also have a few variations on the "steak and " version and also chicken and mushroom, minced beef and onion, balti and of course cheese and onion for veggies.

In my opinion our pies are generally lack lustre unless you can find a decent bakery.

What pies do you have in the States ?

Looks like something Limey's would eat. Good God man!

When are you Limey's going to learn how to cook?

The first time I went to America I saw a news item.It was one of the Colonels places in NY making the worlds largest Chicken Pot Pie. It looked amazing so we went straight down to the Colonels to get one.

We thought we might get them over here some day but it never happened.

images

This one is a steak and kidney pie. We also have a few variations on the "steak and " version and also chicken and mushroom, minced beef and onion, balti and of course cheese and onion for veggies.

In my opinion our pies are generally lack lustre unless you can find a decent bakery.

We make savory pies in Louisiana that are yummy

Natchitoches Meat Pies Recipe

Crawfish Pie - Louisiana Cookin

Also, beef, shrimp and blue crab varieties.

images

They both look lush.
Can I ask a couple of questions ?

Firstly , is the sausage n the meat pie actually sausage or sausage meat ?

and

Secondly , what is a good crawfish substitute ? We dont have it round here. They do look a bit like prawns in the pic.

images

They both look lush.

and

Secondly , what is a good crawfish substitute ? We dont have it round here. They do look a bit like prawns in the pic.

The sausage is not in casing and is more crumbly than firm here. Do you have boudin there? It is that type of sausage but without the rice and casing. Italian sausage would be a reasonable, although not really authentic, substitute.

The seafood should be small and flavorful, not mild like lobster or king/snow crab. Small shrimp could be used but get the whole shrimp, not peeled or cleaned. You may have frozen crawfish tails there. I would check that first, as the orange fat in crawfish adds a buttery texture that is hard to replicate.

Dungeness crab is closest to blue crab. Using crab rather than small shrimp changes the texture, making it a little mushier. If you use crab, don't get lump white or claw meat. The stuff you work hardest for has all the flavor, although threadier / stringier. Prawns that I've eaten were too large and mild, but maybe there are smaller varieties.

images

They both look lush.

and

Not sure what the substitute for a water cockroach is.

I make a killer chicken pot pie. I have made it with regular pie pastry, but have decided the biscuit dough is more sublime.

2 cans of my home canned chicken, which is dark meat, with stock, plus a cup of water. If I don't have canned chicken, a couple of cups of diced cooked chicken and a can of broth.
1/2 c frozen peas
1/2 c diced carrots (or one c frozen peas & carrots I guess lol. I'm always using fresh or my own canned carrots)
1/2 c diced potato
chopped onion
salt pepper garlic

Bisquick & milk or I make a biscuit dough

put the chicken, veggies, seasonings in a casserole
drop biscuit dough on top
Bake at 350 on bottom rack so the top of the casserole is in the middle of the oven
Bake until slightly browned and casserole is bubbly.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back