Pick a Movie and Rate It

And now I sit here wondering why I haven't heard about this. :lol:

So did you ever see Curious Case yet J?

Edit: Wow, it's already got a release date for Dec 18 of 2009.

Sigh...I THINK I'm going to see Benjamin Button tomorrow. Really this time. :)

And yeah, Avatar is insane. It will be the best looking film ever made (as far as resolution and clarity goes, anyway). He's using a new camera system that basically allows him to film every scene from dozens of different angles. He can then edit the film without having to reshoot the scene. By tracing the movements of the characters, he can map their bodies like a video game creator would map a computer model, and he can actually move the characters limbs and facial expressions. It's really, really insane the amount of detail he's putting into it.

I finally saw The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. I loved it. It reminded me a lot of Forrest Gump, and I found a lot of parallels in the characters (Benjamin/Forrest, Daisy/Jenny, Queenie/Mrs. Gump, Captain Mike & the gentleman who took Benjamin to the brothel/Lt. Dan). In fact, I almost wanted to call it uncreative because of those parallels, but I still really enjoyed the movie. I gave it an 8/10 (same score I gave Forrest Gump, heh).

I finally saw The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. I loved it. It reminded me a lot of Forrest Gump, and I found a lot of parallels in the characters (Benjamin/Forrest, Daisy/Jenny, Queenie/Mrs. Gump, Captain Mike & the gentleman who took Benjamin to the brothel/Lt. Dan). In fact, I almost wanted to call it uncreative because of those parallels, but I still really enjoyed the movie. I gave it an 8/10 (same score I gave Forrest Gump, heh).

:lol: Perhaps because it's written by the same screenwriter?

There are a lot of parallels but Forrest Gump was more of a pop culture/history run through. This was a real story.

:lol: Perhaps because it's written by the same screenwriter?

Mmmm...that was sort of my point. It's unoriginal because we've seen it before from the same person. If Eric Roth wins another Oscar for this, I'll be pretty upset. Hell, a nomination really isn't even deserved.

Oh, and I definitely think Slumdog Millionaire deserves Best Picture between the two. Just saying...

Not sure about that.

It probably won't though but it should; The Dark Knight as best picture of the year.

Not sure about that.

It probably won't though but it should; The Dark Knight as best picture of the year.

I don't even see The Dark Knight being nominated. Are you kidding me? It is not the type of film to win Oscars.

Right now, frontrunners for Best Picture are Slumdog Millionaire, Milk, and The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. I think people are going to find Slumdog Millionaire to be the more original film. It will be a shocker win (sort of like Crash beating Brokeback Mountain), at least that's how I see it going down.

I don't even see The Dark Knight being nominated. Are you kidding me? It is not the type of film to win Oscars.

Right now, frontrunners for Best Picture are Slumdog Millionaire, Milk, and The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. I think people are going to find Slumdog Millionaire to be the more original film. It will be a shocker win (sort of like Crash beating Brokeback Mountain), at least that's how I see it going down.

Which is why it won't. I don't like how a film must be depressing or along the lines of that to win a best picture oscar. It's not always reflective of what really is the best picture of the year.

I do believe people will find SM the more original film. Whether it wins the oscar will be determined on whether they felt the message of the film and the mood was right.

The last upbeat film to win a oscar might be considered Chicago but that really isn't upbeat. I would have to go back to 1988 with Rain Man. But even then I have :doubt:

Which is why it won't. I don't like how a film must be depressing or along the lines of that to win a best picture oscar. It's not always reflective of what really is the best picture of the year.

It doesn't have to be depressing, it just has to tell a good story, which The Dark Knight fails at.

It just so happens that sad movies often tell the best stories.

Also, I don't see Return of the King as being depressing. It has a happy ending. :)

It doesn't have to be depressing, it just has to tell a good story, which The Dark Knight fails at.

It just so happens that sad movies often tell the best stories.

Also, I don't see Return of the King as being depressing. It has a happy ending. :)

Pfft, Lord of the Rings sucked. :lol:

Sorry but the movies did anyway. The books I always thought were fine though.

The Dark Knight does tell a good story though. I mean you can say alot about the movie but you can't say it doesn't tell a good story.

Pfft, Lord of the Rings sucked. :lol:

You suck.

The amount of time and detail put into those films is worthy of the Oscar alone.

Sorry but the movies did anyway. The books I always thought were fine though.

Normally, I'd agree. I always love books better than movies. But I can honestly say I enjoy the movies better than the books. I find Tolkien's writing style to be drearily long-winded. If he spent less time describing the shape of a tree's branches and more time writing action sequences, I might feel different. What makes the movies so great is that Jackson read the books in great detail and brought the scenes Tolkien had described to life in a way I never thought possible. I can't wait to see what Guillermo del Toro does with The Hobbit.

The Dark Knight does tell a good story though. I mean you can say alot about the movie but you can't say it doesn't tell a good story.

Quite the opposite. I give it accolades on many levels. Wonderful performances by Gary Oldman, Aaron Eckhart, and Heath Ledger. I loved the direction and the action sequences. The mood of the film is perfect for a crime drama. It is a cinematic masterpiece. I still find the story to be completely lackluster. All in all, nothing really happens. I could sum up the film in a few short sentences and not leave out any major events. I couldn't do the same with a film like The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. And, somehow, the two movies are nearly the same length.

You suck.

The amount of time and detail put into those films is worthy of the Oscar alone.

Normally, I'd agree. I always love books better than movies. But I can honestly say I enjoy the movies better than the books. I find Tolkien's writing style to be drearily long-winded. If he spent less time describing the shape of a tree's branches and more time writing action sequences, I might feel different. What makes the movies so great is that Jackson read the books in great detail and brought the scenes Tolkien had described to life in a way I never thought possible. I can't wait to see what Guillermo del Toro does with The Hobbit.

Quite the opposite. I give it accolades on many levels. Wonderful performances by Gary Oldman, Aaron Eckhart, and Heath Ledger. I loved the direction and the action sequences. The mood of the film is perfect for a crime drama. It is a cinematic masterpiece. I still find the story to be completely lackluster. All in all, nothing really happens. I could sum up the film in a few short sentences and not leave out any major events. I couldn't do the same with a film like The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. And, somehow, the two movies are nearly the same length.

To what I bolded: All they did in the movie was walk, walk, and walk. :lol:

[youtube]AxAEo3CWeq8[/youtube]

Don't get me wrong, Peter Jackson put a great amount of detail and time into the movie but it just didn't reflect well when put on the movie screen.

And to what you said about The Dark Knight:

That's true for all superhero movies. Except The Dark Knight went far beyond any superhero movie ever made.

The only thing I didn't like about the movie was the way they changed Two-Face's origin by adding the Joker into his origin.

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button basis was a story though, we both have to admit it's not like The Dark Knight where a great deal of time is spent on action scenes.

To what I bolded: All they did in the movie was walk, walk, and walk. :lol:

All they do in The Dark Knight is talk, talk, and talk. :p

Seriously, the battle scenes in the Lord of the Rings trilogy are still monumental. The battle for Helm's Deep is still one of my favorite movie sequences ever. Simply amazing.

That's true for all superhero movies. Except The Dark Knight went far beyond any superhero movie ever made.

Exactly, which is why I love it so much. To me, it plays more like a crime drama (Heat, for example) than a superhero movie.

The only thing I didn't like about the movie was the way they changed Two-Face's origin by adding the Joker into his origin.

Meh, I didn't mind that. I hated the character of Rachel and felt she was completely unnecessary in both of the last two films. I would rather see Ras Al-Ghul's daughter show up than have another Rachel type. And for fuck's sake, if they cast Angelina Jolie as Selina Kyle (if they even do a third movie and include Catwoman), I won't bother watching it.

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button basis was a story though, we both have to admit it's not like The Dark Knight where a great deal of time is spent on action scenes.

Precisely why The Dark Knight won't be nominated for Best Picture. The action scenes are the story, and there's not much story to them. It's entertaining to watch, but what's to talk about?

All they do in The Dark Knight is talk, talk, and talk. :p

Seriously, the battle scenes in the Lord of the Rings trilogy are still monumental. The battle for Helm's Deep is still one of my favorite movie sequences ever. Simply amazing.

Exactly, which is why I love it so much. To me, it plays more like a crime drama (Heat, for example) than a superhero movie.

Meh, I didn't mind that. I hated the character of Rachel and felt she was completely unnecessary in both of the last two films. I would rather see Ras Al-Ghul's daughter show up than have another Rachel type. And for fuck's sake, if they cast Angelina Jolie as Selina Kyle (if they even do a third movie and include Catwoman), I won't bother watching it.

Precisely why The Dark Knight won't be nominated for Best Picture. The action scenes are the story, and there's not much story to them. It's entertaining to watch, but what's to talk about?

Dark Knight is plenty of action, not just talk. :tongue:

The battle scenes in LOTR were great, don't get me wrong. But if I wanted to watch great battle scenes then I'd just watch 300. ;)

The Dark Knight did remind me of movies like Heat too though. Nolan Verse is a true Batman film; dark, gritty, and realistic.

With the Two-Face, it was a small thing as a fan but it didn't take anything out of the movie for me. I rather would of seen Talia then Rachel myself too. She proved to be just like what alot women are in the comics; woman in refrigerator.

And if you're not familiar with the term: Women in Refrigerators - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They are going to do a third movie at this point. Whether Nolan will be back is up to debate. If they can do Catwoman right, I wouldn't mind it. I'll be honest, I wasn't sure about Heath Ledger as Joker until I saw the first pictures. If Angelina Jolie is Catwoman then I'd just trust Nolan into knowing what he's doing.

The story is one someone can talk about. The action scenes are part of the story but not the whole story.

I, myself, have long ago thought of a script for Batman III.

It's like Heat but would remind someone of Silence of the Lambs too.

Hugo Weaving as The Riddler.

And I had Edward Norton in mind for Mr. Zsasz.

Dark Knight is plenty of action, not just talk. :tongue:

And LOTR is plenty of action, not just walk.

The battle scenes in LOTR were great, don't get me wrong. But if I wanted to watch great battle scenes then I'd just watch 300. ;)

Are you intentionally trying to anger me? :evil:

The Dark Knight did remind me of movies like Heat too though. Nolan Verse is a true Batman film; dark, gritty, and realistic.

Agreed. The TV series, cartoons, and original movies were campfests. It was like watching Batman: The Gay Pride Version.

They are going to do a third movie at this point. Whether Nolan will be back is up to debate.

No Nolan = no Bale = bad movie.

If they can do Catwoman right, I wouldn't mind it. I'll be honest, I wasn't sure about Heath Ledger as Joker until I saw the first pictures. If Angelina Jolie is Catwoman then I'd just trust Nolan into knowing what he's doing.

Actually, Ledger's audition was nothing like this performance. After he was given the part, he spent months perfecting his performance. What Nolan cast was not what Nolan got. Also, the choice of Katie Holmes as Rachel, and then Maggie Gyllenhaal, speaks against Nolan's casting abilities.

The story is one someone can talk about. The action scenes are part of the story but not the whole story.

What major part of the story takes place without an action sequence?

Hugo Weaving as The Riddler.

Triple yuck. The only person I could see playing The Riddler is Michael C. Hall from Dexter. Absolutely perfect.

And I had Edward Norton in mind for Mr. Zsasz.

Not bad. I'd rather see Phillip Seymour Hoffman as The Penguin. It would be genius. The Penguin's character is totally out of place in Nolan's universe, but I think Hoffman could create something that fits.

And LOTR is plenty of action, not just walk.

Are you intentionally trying to anger me? :evil:

Agreed. The TV series, cartoons, and original movies were campfests. It was like watching Batman: The Gay Pride Version.

No Nolan = no Bale = bad movie.

Actually, Ledger's audition was nothing like this performance. After he was given the part, he spent months perfecting his performance. What Nolan cast was not what Nolan got. Also, the choice of Katie Holmes as Rachel, and then Maggie Gyllenhaal, speaks against Nolan's casting abilities.

What major part of the story takes place without an action sequence?

Triple yuck. The only person I could see playing The Riddler is Michael C. Hall from Dexter. Absolutely perfect.

Not bad. I'd rather see Phillip Seymour Hoffman as The Penguin. It would be genius. The Penguin's character is totally out of place in Nolan's universe, but I think Hoffman could create something that fits.

1.) Maybe I am trying to get you angry. :lol: Just kidding.

2.) [youtube]r94AJzJZZaU[/youtube]

Though in the show's defense; the original comic book did have Batman and Dick Grayson sleeping in the same bed together at one point. :lol:

3.) I never did mind Tim Burton's Batman but felt it was just Gothic Batman and Jack acting like himself.

4.) That's true, the role ended up killing him too as he got depressed because of it and couldn't sleep. I do want to see that diary he made. I'm also not sure if Nolan made the call for Katie or Maggie.

5.) The one when Harvey decides to become Two-Face? I could think of a few more tomorrow when I'm not half asleep.

6.) That would be a good choice maybe but a bit too hollywood. I know I'd not want to see Johnny Depp in the role; that's for damn well sure. Hugo Weaving, second choice might be Daniel Day Lewis.

7.) That's who I had down for The Penguin in my cast list for any villain that got chosen for the next movie. :lol: He's a popular choice for the Penguin and the current incarnation of the Penguin in the comic books isn't out of place. Gangster born with some kind of birth defect? It would reflect the current situation after The Dark Knight too.

I'm not saying you have this in your mind, but too many people I know think the Penguin is the one they saw in the Tim Burton movie.

8.) Angelina Jolie would be on my list for potential Catwoman but I would think Kate Beckinsale would fit the role best.

Last edited:
8.) Angelina Jolie would be on my list for potential Catwoman but I would think Kate Beckinsale would fit the role best.

I love you. Kate Beckinsale is my absolute first choice for the role. We've already seen her in tight leather anyway. Anyone who saw it the first two times knows they want to see it again, anyway. ;)

However, I'm not sure Kate can play the mentally ill side of Selina Kyle (could be wrong). If Angelina channeled her performance from Girl, Interrupted, I may let it slide if she were cast as Selina. I'm just tired of seeing that fugly bitch in everything.

I love you. Kate Beckinsale is my absolute first choice for the role. We've already seen her in tight leather anyway. Anyone who saw it the first two times knows they want to see it again, anyway. ;)

However, I'm not sure Kate can play the mentally ill side of Selina Kyle (could be wrong). If Angelina channeled her performance from Girl, Interrupted, I may let it slide if she were cast as Selina. I'm just tired of seeing that fugly bitch in everything.

:lol:

That's another Burton creation, Selina Kyle isn't mentally ill.

Kate Beckinsale in Underworld just yelled Catwoman to me. Angelina Jolie would fit Catwoman for certain aspects and other aspects no.

And I know how you feel, I don't like when I see an actor/actress in everything. :lol:

That's another Burton creation, Selina Kyle isn't mentally ill.

Depends on which comic you're reading. In the original comics, Selina Kyle is absolutely dreadfully boring. She fakes amnesia just to get out of a life of crime, and other than that, she just follows Batman around because she likes his penis.

Frank Miller wrote a good Selina Kyle, and it's the one I want to see on screen. Former prostitute turned catburglar. I guess mentally ill was the wrong term. But clearly, she has a dark past. Also, the Selina Kyle that followed Frank's recreation fits well in the current story, as it was alluded to a couple of times that Selina may be an illegitimate child of Falcone's.

Forum List

Back