Pick a Movie and Rate It

I just rewatched Slumdog Millionaire. I'm still debating with myself over what rating to give it. 9/10 seems appropriate, but it's probably the best movie I've seen since Pan's Labyrinth, which I gave a 10/10 to.

Also, I decided not to go to the movies tonight. Gonna go tomorrow probably. I want to see Benjamin Button, because I want to decide which of these two films deserves Best Picture nod at the Golden Globes. Benjamin Button looks good, but I can't imagine it being this good. I'll have to see for myself.

One thing I will say...Bollywood can put out some amazing films.

Sounds like you're a movie buff. You should start a Best Picture poll.

Strollingbones, what didn't you like about it? I'm set to watch that one soon. I hope I'm not going to wasting 2 hours as well. BTW, Happy New Year.

i had hoped it would be good. what didnt i like..first the fact that it was subtitled...then it kinda went back and forth...i dont wanna spoil it for anyone...i rented it from one of the dollar box things..hell blow a dollar....you may like it..i didnt care for dark knight and everyone seems to love it...

i will admit i have never seen some of the major hits...cause i think they are to be avoided...titanic...gangs of new york...dr strangelove...etc

happy new year chic

Last edited:
i just seen Walk Hard The Dewey Cox Story.....kinda humorous,better than what i thought it would be,his character is supposed to be a parallel of Johnny Cash's life.....and John C. Reilly can sing pretty good....

Sounds like you're a movie buff.

To say the least. I love movies, I love movie award season. The best movies always come out around this time. Revolutionary Road is getting nominations and it's not even out yet. I can't wait to see it though. I hear Kate Winslet and Leonardo DiCaprio give amazing performances.

You should start a Best Picture poll.

Meh. I would, but even I can't make a fair assessment of Best Picture. I've only seen Slumdog Millionaire of the Best Picture - Drama category. I'll see Curious Case of Benjamin Button and Revolutionary Road. But Frost/Nixon and The Reader don't interest me at all.

I will say, though, that if In Bruges doesn't win Best Picture - Musical or Comedy, I'll be upset. Mamma Mia! was garbage (yes, I watch musicals). And Burn After Reading was good, but In Bruges was far better.

To say the least. I love movies, I love movie award season. The best movies always come out around this time. Revolutionary Road is getting nominations and it's not even out yet. I can't wait to see it though. I hear Kate Winslet and Leonardo DiCaprio give amazing performances.

Meh. I would, but even I can't make a fair assessment of Best Picture. I've only seen Slumdog Millionaire of the Best Picture - Drama category. I'll see Curious Case of Benjamin Button and Revolutionary Road. But Frost/Nixon and The Reader don't interest me at all.

I will say, though, that if In Bruges doesn't win Best Picture - Musical or Comedy, I'll be upset. Mamma Mia! was garbage (yes, I watch musicals). And Burn After Reading was good, but In Bruges was far better.

I went to see the new Bond over Thxgiving, but it was full so we got tix to see Zack and Miri instead, then ended up wandering into the wrong screen and seeing Changeling, which I had never heard of but thought was really good.

I went to see the new Bond over Thxgiving, but it was full so we got tix to see Zack and Miri instead, then ended up wandering into the wrong screen and seeing Changeling, which I had never heard of but thought was really good.

I meant to see that, but never got around to it. It didn't get great reviews, but I don't remember why. I think people are just tired of Angelina Jolie. That was like...her fourth movie of the year.

I did see Zack and Miri, and it was hilarious. One of my favorite comedies of 2008, but Role Models was slightly better.

I I think people are just tired of Angelina Jolie.

I must be in the minority but I never liked her. I know her personal life shouldn't affect her acting abilities but I can't enjoy a movie starring someone who I personally don't like. She is a homewrecker and can get a little bizarre (her behavior with Billy Bob Thornton and that time she french kissed her brother were 2 notable examples). I feel the same way about Tom Cruise and his nutty antics.

By the way, anyone wanting to know about movies cioming out in the future, you might enjoy the Hollywood Stock Exchange (hsx.com). You buy and sell stocks in movies and actors (it's free but I understand they now have an option to spend real cash) and they have information available on movies in the initial stages of development that won't be out for another 2 or 3 years.

I meant to see that, but never got around to it. It didn't get great reviews, but I don't remember why. I think people are just tired of Angelina Jolie. That was like...her fourth movie of the year.

I did see Zack and Miri, and it was hilarious. One of my favorite comedies of 2008, but Role Models was slightly better.

Kevin Smith is a comedy genius.

i just cant see spending 19 dollars for two to go to the movie..when i can wait for dvd's on the dollar box....

and what about "clockwork orange"

We just took the family to see Marley and Me. Rather disappointing. All the trailers make it look like the dog is the main plot of the movie but not really. I kind of thought it would be like Turner and Hooch, as far as the dog part of it goes but it wasn't. The couple gets married, his reporter boss tells him to get a dog so the wife won't be all 'baby minded' so they get Marley, who is an unruly puppy that turns into an unruly big lab dog. The dog's antics are off and on throughout the movie but the movie is more about the lives of these two people and Marley antics seem to be thrown in for some comic relief. My objection to it, um other than Owen Wilson, is that the movie was rated PG and sex talk ran throughout it. They were trying to have a baby and things like the husband saying to the wife 'so you're saying we'll go home and take our clothes off to get it on' and they're in an old Irish B&B w/gobs of religious pics around and she sits on one of the two twins beds and the bed squeeks then 3 min. later they are panning up to the religious pic above the bed as the bed is squeeking away; she takes her clothes off and jumps into the pool then he does the same (they only show her from the shoulders up but still . . .), and similar things throughout the movie. Also, language -- ass, asshole, shit, son of a bitch - again, for a PG movie that looks like it's all about this crazy dog -- it just seemed to me it should have been rated PG-13 is all. Kathleen Turner showed up as a dog trainer and I hardly recognized her! Holy cow!! She got big and just, wow. I looked her up; apparently she has suffered for years with RA and the side effects of the meds is weight gain. Quick shocking to see her like this vs. the hot tamale she was back in the day. I'd rate Marely and Me 3 1/2 out of 10. My 18 yr. old daughter liked it better than I did, my 15 yr old special needs son thought the dog stuff was funny and my nearly 12 yr. old daughter thought it was 'too much language'. My husband stayed awake for the whole movie, so maybe it was a 4 out of 10. lol

I wholeheartedly agree about Tom Cruise -- blech!!!!! I do NOT believe this guy can act and can't figure out why some think he can. He plays himself in every movie; his characters are always the same. I prefer the Johnny Depps and Heath Ledgers who can make me completely forget who they are and have me believe they are the charcters they are playing.

As for Angelina Jolie -- I find her looks disturbing and somehow mutant-like. Gianormoss head and face. Her acting -- saw her in Playing By Heart and she was just ok; haven't seen her in much else so maybe she is better than I realize but . . . . just can't seem to get beyond her looks. Probably just me though.

The Holy Grail - simply the absolute best. Even got bits of it on my ipod and it never, ever, ever fails to reduce me to tears of laughter. Even when the day is crap.

Last edited:
I must be in the minority but I never liked her.

Same. I enjoyed her role in Girl, Interrupted, but that's about it (but I think she robbed Chloey Sevigny of an Oscar). I've heard her performance in The Changeling is so over-the-top that it's annoying.

And, I think she's hideously ugly.

I feel the same way about Tom Cruise. His personal life affects my feelings about his performances. Not his religion so much as to the way he brainwashed Katie Holmes and alienated her from her friends and family. It's disturbing.

Last edited:
Same. I enjoyed her role in Girl, Interrupted, but that's about it (but I think she robbed Chloey Sevigny of an Oscar). I've heard her performance in The Changeling is so over-the-top that it's annoying.

I feel the same way about Tom Cruise. His personal life affects my feelings about his performances. Not his religion so much as to the way he brainwashed Katie Holmes and alienated her from her friends and family. It's disturbing.

I quite liked The Changeling.

Dayuumm I always thought Angelina Jolie was beautiful! :lol: I must be an alien! :eusa_eh:

By the way, anyone wanting to know about movies cioming out in the future, you might enjoy the Hollywood Stock Exchange (hsx.com). You buy and sell stocks in movies and actors (it's free but I understand they now have an option to spend real cash) and they have information available on movies in the initial stages of development that won't be out for another 2 or 3 years.

Well one of the biggest films being filmed right now that I know of is the new Tim Burton movie.

Alice in Wonderland with his usual cast.

What I'm interesting in seeing is Johnny Depp as The Mad Hatter.

I agree about Angelina. Her lips look cracked and her hair always looks like it needs conditioner and a brush. Mr and Mrs Smith was over rated . I kept waiting for it to end, but that movie went on and on and on...far too long.

Well one of the biggest films being filmed right now that I know of is the new Tim Burton movie.

The biggest film in production now is Avatar. James Cameron has practically innovated the way movies are being filmed. His methods were so creative that Francis Ford Coppola, Stephen Spielberg, Peter Jackson, and Spike Jonze came just to watch him film. When you have some of the most renowned directors in cinema history come just to watch you work, you know you're doing something right. I'm really interested to see how this movie turns out.

The biggest film in production now is Avatar. James Cameron has practically innovated the way movies are being filmed. His methods were so creative that Francis Ford Coppola, Stephen Spielberg, Peter Jackson, and Spike Jonze came just to watch him film. When you have some of the most renowned directors in cinema history come just to watch you work, you know you're doing something right. I'm really interested to see how this movie turns out.

And now I sit here wondering why I haven't heard about this. :lol:

So did you ever see Curious Case yet J?

Edit: Wow, it's already got a release date for Dec 18 of 2009.

I Now Pronounce Your Chuck And Larry. I give it a 10 out of 10. One of Adam Sandler's best movies along with Anger Management, Happy Gilmore an The Longest Yard. I think everyone should own it.

Forum List

Back