Physics question pertinent to global warming

How did the water molecule get sufficient energy to break through the boundary if energy can never be transferred 'uphill'?

The sun perhaps?.

Oceans heat or cool the atmosphere predominantly according to the temperature differental, which can be in either direction.

But the atmosphere never heats the ocean.

Do you believe that the atmosphere is never warmer than the ocean's surface? Or is it that you have some new thermodynamic interpretation that prevents heat transfer from gas to liquid? Better check out your wife's hair dryer.

Sure highlights your ignorance and antipathy towards mainstream science. And i's an excellent demonstration identifying you as someone on the low side of that Dunning-Krueger effect: despise what you do not understand.

How did the water molecule get sufficient energy to break through the boundary if energy can never be transferred 'uphill'?

The sun perhaps?.

Oceans heat or cool the atmosphere predominantly according to the temperature differental, which can be in either direction.

But the atmosphere never heats the ocean.

Why do you ignore my questions? Of course the Sun supplies energy to produce evaporation. So what? Are you claiming that a pan of water in a dark closet will not evaporate? Not only will evaporation still take place but because of it the skin of the water will be cooler than the air above it. You seem to lack the ability to work things through to a logical conclusion. The Sun is the origin of all energy on the planet except for radioactive processes and extraterrestrial objects.

Your view of the SB laws is faulty. One of the equations describes how every object radiates according to its temperature. The other describes the transfer between two objects. The second equation does not negate the first. All objects fully radiate at all times, the transfer of energy is the net difference between the two. You claim that the calculation is variable depending on whether the radiation is considered a particle or a wave. It doesn't, as has been amply proven over the last hundred years. Photons have the properties of both waves and particles therefore they are neither. The choice of describing them as one or the other is simply bookkeeping.

Poor hairball...you simply lack the self restraint required to let a conversation pass without jumping in to demonstrate how much you don't know...don't you.

You can keep pouting at me, but I'll go right back to pointing out your abject stupidity.

You say the parts of an LED that emit the light are blazing hot. Heat sinks mean jack here. The whole topic of them is a cowardly deflection on your part. But hey, if you insist, we can work with them. Your idiot theory fails just as hard even with that desperate evasion.

Either:

1. The heat sink cools the light-emitting molecules down so they're not blazing hot. That leaves you unable to explain why the LED can illuminate a piece of hot metal. Your theory fails.

or.

2. The heat sink doesn't cool the actual light-emitting molecules down, so they're still blazing hot. That leaves you unable to explain why those blazing hot LED bits don't emit a Planck's law radiation curve. Your theory fails.

Which of those two cases of humiliating failure do you admit to?

I am the OP. Mamooth, Toddsterpatriot and I are all in agreement on the laws of thermodynamics. The standout is SSDD. SSDD has some very odd and, as far as I know, completely uniquue interpretations of the laws of thermodynamics.

So... what's the question?

What cooled?

Hey.. Season catch-up here. This is an ongoing intervention to ATTEMPT to get SSDD to accept how the Greenhouse Theory actually works.

SSDD denies that any ElectroMag photon energy can flow from the cooler atmosphere to the warmer ground. In a sense -- he is correct in that the NET FLOW is always heat to the sky. But radiation thermo says that photons are firing in both directions. That's how radiative heat flow is resolved -- by multi-way flux algebra. And even cooler objects can act as radiative flow insulation. Like a greenhouse gas.

Trust me on this Cav --- It's a snooze. Unless you got some fine hostage negotiation skills to get my bud SSDD out of this jam without flash/bang grenades and drone strikes.. I've tried hookers and beer.. Nothing budges the guy..

Is the photon from the cooler atmosphere warmer than the ground it is flowing too? If it is not, then it simply can not be true.

Is the photon from the cooler atmosphere warmer than the ground it is flowing too? If it is not, then it simply can not be true.

Heat in the kinetic sense of molecules moving around is not a property of Electromagnetic radiation. A photon behaves like a microwave. It will CAUSE heat to flow if absorbed or carry heat FROM an object when it is emitted as InfraRed --- but it has no concept of hotter or colder.

ALL objects above Abs Zero emit IR photons. Solids, gases, liquids, or jello molds. The scuffle is about the heat "trapped" in the atmos by GHouse gases. Do they "WARM" the earth? No -- not actually, they impede the heat loss from surface by subtracting their lower IR photon flux from the larger amount of heat LEAVING the surface towards space.

What warms the surface is the new thermal equilibrium that it is reached by a thicker layer of GHGases impeding the SAME energy input from the sun -- producing the SAME conversion to surface thermal heat and then to skyward radiative IR losses...

Custer died a Lieutenant Colonel. He was an idiot.

Without digging out my slide rule, note book and a crap load of math, I am going to put this in terms you have half used.

I do not care what the medium is, cold will not ever travel to hot.

So if a microwave is your example...

If you place something into your little home microwave oven that is heated already beyond its ability to accelerate, it will not accelerate it any further. However, there will be a certain part of that atmosphere surrounding the item you placed in it that is slower...

That energy will transfer to that atmosphere.

Stop thinking about entropy and think about enthalpy.

It takes them both.

Nothing, absolute in the universe is purely entropic.

Without digging out my slide rule, note book and a crap load of math, I am going to put this in terms you have half used.

If you place something into your little home microwave oven that is heated already beyond its ability to accelerate, it will not accelerate it any further. However, there will be a certain part of that atmosphere surrounding the item you placed in it that is slower...

It takes them both.

Holster your weapons pardner. NOBODY is saying that ANY flows are from Cold to hot. Not a person. I admitted that the Earth is ALWAYS losing heat to the sky. Day or night. Less on cloudy nights than on clear nights. WHY? because water vapor is a GHGas and the IR down-dwelling radiation is LOWERING the loss the space. NOT reversing it -- just lowering it enough to keep the surface warmer longer.

It takes them both.

Holster your weapons pardner. NOBODY is saying that ANY flows are from Cold to hot. Not a person. I admitted that the Earth is ALWAYS losing heat to the sky. Day or night. Less on cloudy nights than on clear nights. WHY? because water vapor is a GHGas and the IR down-dwelling radiation is LOWERING the loss the space. NOT reversing it -- just lowering it enough to keep the surface warmer longer.

Well hell, that is not a new discovery...

Not even remotely...

Some fellow in like 56 wrote a paper on it....

Give me an hour or so and I will find it.

It takes them both.

Well hell, that is not a new discovery...

Not even remotely...

Some fellow in like 56 wrote a paper on it....

Give me an hour or so and I will find it.

You are now officially briefed on the topic.. I bid you adieu and wish you luck.. Have fun... :D

Forum List

Back