Photos of everything retro and vintage

84e6874f968876cac27a40ed9bfb2a3d.jpg

I've posted these in another thread, having forgotten completely about this thread.

I initially thought that this dated to some time in the 1970s, but apparently, this model was made form 1972 until 2001, and the one that I have appears, based on my tentative interpretation of information given to me by a Milwaukee representative, to have been manufactured in May of 1989. So, not quite the antique that I thought it was, but still old enough to qualify as “vintage”.

View attachment 402875

View attachment 402876

View attachment 402877

View attachment 402878
Got one of those!! It's a real beast.

No 35mm/135?

Just doing a quick bit of Googling, to see of there was ever a time when the 620, 120, and 127 formats existed, and 135 did not.

Very short. 135 was introduced in 1934, and fairly quickly grew to become by far the most popular film format. 120 and 127 had been around for a long time, by then, but 620 came out in 1932, just a couple years ahead of 135.

135, of course, fairly quickly caught on, and became by far the most popular film format ever; boosted in 1939 by the Argus C3, which itself became one of the most popular cameras ever made.

So really, there's only a very narrow window in time when this vending machine would have made sense—after the 620 format came out in 1932, but not very far past the point where 135 came out in 1934, and quickly became more popular than any of the formats offered by this machine.

No 35mm/135?

Just doing a quick bit of Googling, to see of there was ever a time when the 620, 120, and 127 formats existed, and 135 did not.

Very short. 135 was introduced in 1934, and fairly quickly grew to become by far the most popular film format. 120 and 127 had been around for a long time, by then, but 620 came out in 1932, just a couple years ahead of 135.

135, of course, fairly quickly caught on, and became by far the most popular film format ever; boosted in 1939 by the Argus C3, which itself became one of the most popular cameras ever made.

So really, there's only a very narrow window in time when this vending machine would have made sense—after the 620 format came out in 1932, but not very far past the point where 135 came out in 1934, and quickly became more popular than any of the formats offered by this machine.
You know alot about it. Does that mean this is fake or just old and rare? I know whatever you say is correct because you are an avid Photographer.

Anyway, I watched a documentary about a nanny who was a secret photographer. She had thousands of undevelope film and someone got it from buying an unpaid storage or something like that it's been years seen I watched it. But she had amazing photos. What a great find! Did you do film developing in school? I remember in school they used to have that.

Vivian Maier Photographer | Official website of Vivian Maier | Vivian Maier Portfolios, Prints, Exhibitions, Books and documentary film

Link to photo of vending machine.

You know alot [sic] about it. Does that mean this is fake or just old and rare? I know whatever you say is correct because you are an avid Photographer.

Probably not fake. Certainly very old, and from a very narrow period in time, after 1932, when the 620 film format came out, but not likely very much past 1934, when the 135 format came out, and quickly became more popular than all three of the formats offered by that machine combined.

Anyway, I watched a documentary about a nanny who was a secret photographer. She had thousands of undevelope [sic] film and someone got it from buying an unpaid storage or something like that it's been years seen I watched it. But she had amazing photos. What a great find! Did you do film developing in school? I remember in school they used to have that.

Reminds me a bit of the story of Miroslav Tichý (1926-2011). Just some scruffy, eccentric, somewhat creepy guy in Czechoslovakia that tended to hang out in places where attractive women were abundant, fiddling with odd devices constructed of carboard and wood and rubber bands and other bits of debris.

I guess it wasn't until fairly late in his life that anyone other than himself became aware that his devices were functional cameras, with which he was actually taking pictures. Late in life, he had several exhibitions of his works.

I've not been able to find anything about what he was doing for film, printing paper, or chemicals, but his cameras and darkroom equipment were all crudely homemade.

Forum List

Back