Photo Exhibition of the Korean War - "On the Line

bluesky79

Apr 21, 2008
10 Photographers who represent Republic of Korea released the photos of major battlefields of the Korean War, images of post-war generation and deep wound that the war left to public.

Regarding the title of this exhibition, <On the Line>, Line means the agony, beauty, human and nature, desire and forbid, and the border between the Korean peninsula and the rest of the world.

Exhibition schedule: 2010. 9.7~ 9.24: London, U.K, Korean Culture Centre
2010. 10.22~ 11.19: Washington D.C, USA,KORUS HOUSE

"60 Years" has a cultural importance in Korean culture
Korean culture has known to celebrate 60th birthday of a person's life by calling it hwe-gahp, even though the increase in life expectancy has somewhat depreciated its significance.
This year marks the 60th anniversay of the Korea War and as such, I believe we can attach two important meanings to year 2010.

First is the meaning of "self-reflection and self-examination"
We have suffered a great loss when a torpedo hit the Cheonan on the 26th of March. The Cheonan incident has reminded all Koreans that even though 60 years have passed since the Korea War, the war is still ongoing and that it is an immediate threat to all of us.
In addition, the Cheonan incident has revealed our insensitivity to national security even when we are on the border with one of the most belligerent nations of the world.
Therefore I pray that this photo exhibition will be a time of self-reflection, through which we all can revitalize our sense of national security.

Furthermore, it is the meaning of remembrance and commemoration.
Marking the 60th anniversary of the breakout of the Korean War, this year's ceremony will likely be a large event, which is expected to be joined by war veterans in Korea and 16 nations around the world. Moreover, this will be a great chance to show our people's sincere gratitude for the veterans who fought in Korean War and make you proud of us that Korea has now turn into a country with higher global status and "aid donor country" from "aid recipient country" in the past.

Particularly, it stands at the very same intent I mentioned above that this exhibition will be staged in overseas as well as soon as it is closed here in South Korea. I also believe it bears lots of meanings that the photo collections will be printed through this exhibition and are going to be distributed to public libraries in the 16 nations for the purpose of providing the fruitful opportunity of learning to the citizens and students of those countries.

Lastly, I would like to pay my tribute for the ten photographers, their passion of showing the each individual's brand and world of the art and wish to give appreciation on behalf of the Korean people to war veterans and people of those 16 nations.

Republic of Korea
Minster of National Defense Kim Tae Young​

I've been to Korea 8 or 9 times and have been stationed there once. I gotta tell ya' it's the coldest place I've ever been. I only had to put up with the cold for a week or two in a tent but the guys who fought there had to do it for a year or more. I can't imagine being in the middle of a war in that country, especially in the winter. It's just fuckin' miserable and I wasn't even being shot at.

Every Korean War vet I meet I shake his hand and make it a point to explain to the family and friends he might be with the conditions he had to put up with. I've got immense respect for all the Korean War vets.

To the “outside” world intellectuals who don’t read Korean,

This is a remarkable story of people – the governed(although they are in theory supposed to be the actual governor in democracy), not their government - making difference in the world (history).

1. Compare and contrast.
“More enlightened” American people, Congress and media; Bush; WMD; War (and huge suffering),
(whitehouser.c__/war/CIA-confirms-Bush-WMD-lie )
and,
“Supposedly less so enlightened” Korean people; Korean President Lee; Cheonan; prevention of War (so far).
(I am including among ‘the Korean people’ the Korean-Americans.)

2. Also remarkable is that the “inside” Korean people braved the government prosecution.
Caveat: Under the current South Korean regime, South Korean citizens can be sued for defamation by their own government officials, and defamation in South Korea is a crime (as well as a civil offense) prosecuted by the government’s own centrally controlled national prosecutors who selectively choose or choose not whom to prosecute.
Recently, Shin Sang-cheol, “an expert placed on the JIG [Joint Investigation Group] by” the National Assembly, got (criminally) sued for defamation by a government official for expressing disagreement over the current South Korean regime’s version of the Cheonan Incident. (zimbio.c__/Mizuho+Fukushima/articles/BvIMjqn_oLw/South+Korean+Investigation+Team+Member+Mr )

(South Korean people’s firsthand knowledge about the pro-government polls is that they are ridiculously overinflated.
A proof: war-fear-mongering South Korean President Lee Myung-bak got unexpectedly humiliated on the June 2 election by the “Supposedly less so enlightened” Korean people,
when “survey conducted by the major daily [pro-government]Dong-A Ilbo and the Korea Research Center from May 24 to 26[7-days-before] forecast[ed] that Oh would beat Han by 20.8 percent.”
Actual election result: 0.6 percent(=”47.4 percent”-”46.8 percent.”)
Source: joongangdaily.joins.c__/article/view.asp?aid=2921960 )

3. A list of early English publications on Questions on the Cheonan Incident and the Power of South Korean Netizens can be found at korea.true.ws (by LetsTry Reason) and newer writings at letstryreason.wordpress.c__ .

Also, look at: “the U.S, South Korea, the U.K, Canada and Australia, but not Sweden [NOT Sweden], contributed to the second-statement findings [claiming that North Korea might be guilty]” – “Five reasons why the the JIG’s 5-page statement cannot be considered scientific and objective, nor … ‘international’”
japanfocus.org/-JOHN-MCGLYNN/3372 ;
“Russian Probe Sees No North Korea Hand In Cheonan Sinking! Russia Says Sea Mine Sunk Cheonan”
socioecohistory.wordpress.c__/2010/07/28/russian-probe-sees-no-north-korea-hand-in-cheonan-sinking/ ;
willyloman.wordpress.c__/2010/06/30/pcc-772-cheonan-south-korean-government-admits-the-deception-and-then-lies-about-it/ ;
nature.c__/news/2010/080710/full/news.2010.343.html ;
latimes.c__/news/nationworld/world/la-fg-korea-torpedo-20100724,0,4196801,full.story

4. Compare and contrast.
9/11; Al-Qaeda; brags We did it(, was not wrong, not sorry about it and we will do it again).
Cheonan; North Korea; brags We didn’t do it (therefore, presumably, was wrong, sorry about it and we will not do it). (Why the difference?)
Crime and punishment. If we are taking consequentialist moral philosophy, and if the utilitarian utility of punishment is to prevent future crime, then punishment serves little or no purpose (maybe to others but not)to North Korea who says ‘We didn’t do it,’ because either (a) the North didn’t do it, therefore the punishment will be outrageous injustice,
or (b) the North did do it, but ‘We didn’t do it’ basically implies ‘We will not do it.’
(This particular ‘it’ hardly gives the North any payoff.)
*If you don’t get scared of us, how can We become the terrorist, and if you don’t know We did it, how can you get scared of us?

5. Representative democracy is not pure democracy. (Pure)Direct democracy of a nation-size is now (or becoming) possible, through recent developments in computer science and technology, making secure private Internet-voting, democratic online discussions, cheap instantaneous micro referendum and freedom of choice to vote directly on an issue or use an agent possible.
The science (computer science) should finally make the people, the governed, the actual de facto governor in democracy.

6. I take this honor of hereby formally asking the folks in Norway to consider awarding a Nobel Peace Prize to the “Supposedly less so enlightened” Korean people including myself,
who in early days, among various activities, proposed the “outside” world contact initiative for the Cheonan peace, providing email addresses of all the foreign embassies in Korea, U.N., Hillary, Obama, and the foreign media.

Conspiracy theory?

That's begging the question, petitio principii. Is it "conspiracy theory"? Is it outlandishly false? Have you proven that?

Is it "held by a person judged to be a crank or a group confined to the lunatic fringe," such as(?) the aforementioned physicist and professor in the American universities, and the millions and millions of South Korean and Korean-American citizens?

Were Bob Woodward and Carl Bernstein of the Washington Post conspiracy theorists too?

Maybe a false analogy.
Rather, it may be
"it certainly has echoes of conspiracy theories like those surrounding the 1972 Watergate Break-in of President Richard M. Nixon."

The comparison to the Warren Commission seems absurd.
Maybe a false analogy, once again.

The South Korean JIG(Joint Investigation Group) was no Warren Commission.
The JIG's chairman was not the Chief Justice
of South Korea.
The JIG's members were not at all filled with the South Korean National Assembly Members and legal counsels like the Warren Commission was.

Update:
09/08 news

"Only three out of 10 South Koreans trust the findings of an international inquiry into the sinking of the Navy corvette Cheonan that blamed a North Korean torpedo attack."

Source:
english.chosun.c__/site/data/html_dir/2010/09/08/2010090800979.html

Forum List

Back