Phone calls that are unwanted....

there's a no call list; i suggest you avail yourself of it.

There are exemptions to the list such as political calls. My phone rang off the fucking hook during the last election cycle.

Imagine that the pols exempt themselves from the rules again.

How exactly would you make it illegal to receive calls that you don't want?

How would you word the law? What exactly would it outlaw?

Would a wrong number be a crime?

If you hit *69 it gives you the most recent number that called you. Don't know if it gives you the number if that number is restricted or not, worth a shot though.

For the caller ID list ... we were on it but over the past few years it seemed like we were starting to get more and more robo calls. So I just looked it up online and re-registered. Put both our landline and cell phone numbers on it. We still seem to get this one robo call about 'your credit card' (generic cc, nothing specific) like it's some emergency or something. I just hang up.
I think one has to pay for the star #69 service, and I havn't got that one as of yet.. Hmmmm register for the no call list on line eh ? I'll have to check that out also, but isn't it a failure in this nation that it's citizens had to go through all of this to begin with ? I mean where was our privacy protectors in all of this that has come about or upon us these days ? Now look what happened down in South Carolina wth that security breech, and so this stuff just goes on and on and on doesn't it ? Look what it is costing everybody also...It's rediculous..

Of course a wrong number wouldnot be a crime, and most times if not all of the time the caller answers with an I'm sorry, I must have dialed the wrong number, but anyone making calls to a number that is private like with these sales calls, robo calls and the unidentified RESTRICTED calls would be considered illegal, and once the number is revealed on the screen as a call back number, it can be turned over to the law enforcement for them to call it back or investigate it, but to have this RESTRICTED thing come up, well that should be highly illegal (imho), and it should be tracked or found ways to track it or stop the technology from allowing such a thing to go on to begin with.

Hmmm you know what or now that I think of it - I have a friend in law enforcement, and if I ain't mistaken he once showed me how he could type a code or something in before dialing a number, to where it would show up on the other persons phone as RESTRICTED, so I will ask him again how he did this and what is it used for....

Last edited:
"Restricted" means they paid their telephone company to block their number from appearing on caller id. Anyone can do it. My parents have it.

Alternatively, you can block caller id for a single call by dialing *67 before. It usually costs about 75 cents.

How would you expect to enforce a "no calls but the ones I want" law?
Oh it can be done, but first the people need to come together in order to force the issue, just like anything else when it is done or has to be done in America.

The only phone I have is a cell phone. If I get a sales call, I place that call (thus the number) on blocked and never hear from it again. I'm not sure how to pre-block an unknown number.
Yes me neither.. I guess I will call the cell phone company, and ask them if they have a way to do it for me..

Don't do that.
You will look like a total fool when you tell them you want them to predict which numbers to block. They are not prescient.
Well why can't I give them the numbers that I allow, and tell them to block everything else ?

Our Do Not Call register prevents telemarketers from calling, but it doesn't stop charities.

Forum List

Back