Phone bill went up? Heres why.

Mr. P

VIP Member
Aug 5, 2004
South of the Mason Dixon
Mine did, so I was going to change..I found out I can only go to the local bell system, no one will (can) take ya as a new customer...THIS SUX!

Be warned...If you do change phone service right now to your local BELL you can't change back, or anywhere else for that matter.
•
Mass Market Local Circuit Switching. Incumbent LECs have no obligation to provide
competitive LECs with unbundled access to mass market local circuit switching.
http://www.fcc.gov/headlines.html
Back to the days of NO competition I guess.

Mr. P said:
Mine did, so I was going to change..I found out I can only go to the local bell system, no one will (can) take ya as a new customer...THIS SUX!

Be warned...If you do change phone service right now to your local BELL you can't change back, or anywhere else for that matter.
•
Mass Market Local Circuit Switching. Incumbent LECs have no obligation to provide
competitive LECs with unbundled access to mass market local circuit switching.
http://www.fcc.gov/headlines.html
Back to the days of NO competition I guess.

That's why you look for VOIP or a true LEC. Before when you "changed" service the vast majority of the time all you were getting was the same service but billed by another company. Nowadays there are a few companies that have their own networks, either with VOIP technology, or with Cable Companies who will still take your number and bill you normally because they are not reselling the service with government enforced lower pricing.

Joz said:
How good is the cable phone service?

As good as any other service. If you can get high speed internet from the cable company you too can get phone service if they choose to offer it. Comcast does and some others as well.

Mr. P said:
I thought you were the phone guy...just couldn't remember..
Now, who are those companys?
I bet they are few an far between..

Who is your cable company? Most of the big ones offer phone service.

no1tovote4 said:
As good as any other service. If you can get high speed internet from the cable company you too can get phone service if they choose to offer it. Comcast does and some others as well.
I have high speed for my computer, I don't have cable for the TV. I could only afford one. They are now offering phone service, but I'm scared to change.

I went to make a rare long distance call once & was told that someone here had changed services & the call wouldn't go thru! Went back to what I origionally had. Use to have At&T for long distance but now I have Cincy Bell for that & regular service.

But my $27 a month phone bill ends up being about $35 because of all the little charges like, FCC reimbursement. Truthfully, I really don't care if FCC gets reimbursed.

Joz said:
I have high speed for my computer, I don't have cable for the TV. I could only afford one. They are now offering phone service, but I'm scared to change.

I went to make a rare long distance call once & was told that someone here had changed services & the call wouldn't go thru! Went back to what I origionally had. Use to have At&T for long distance but now I have Cincy Bell for that & regular service.

But my $27 a month phone bill ends up being about $35 because of all the little charges like, FCC reimbursement. Truthfully, I really don't care if FCC gets reimbursed.

That's pretty standard stuff. However if you move service to the Cable Co. and inform them which type of LD you want you will have no issues.

Forum List

Back