Phoenix man accused in neighbor's shooting death

Modbert

Daydream Believer
Sep 2, 2008

The identity of a Phoenix man accused of shooting his neighbor on Thursday afternoon, apparently stemming from a running dispute, was released by authorities Friday along with more details about the incident.

Gary Kelley, 50, was arrested after police suspect he shot and killed his 44-year-old neighbor, Juan Varela, on the sidewalk near their houses in 6400 block of South Montezuma Street at about 1 p.m., according to the Phoenix Police Department.

Varela's brother, Antonio, 45, was also involved in the incident.

Antonio told police that he came home Thursday afternoon to find Kelley walking toward his brother, who was watering a tree in the front yard, according to a police report.

Police said Kelley repeated a racial slur toward Varela several times before saying, "Hurry up and go back to Mexico, or you're going to die!"

Maria Lopez, Varela's niece, said he was a second-generation American who was born in Phoenix. He had a wife and a 13-year-old daughter.

Varela was said to have attempted to kick Kelley, but missed. Kelley allegedly pulled out a revolver and shot Varela once in the neck area, police said.

Kelley, holding a beer, left his house when police arrived. Police said he appeared intoxicated.

Kelley was not complying with officers' commands, police said, so he was pepper sprayed and taken into custody.

Varela was taken to a local hospital where he died.

Tragic to say the least.

The identity of a Phoenix man accused of shooting his neighbor on Thursday afternoon, apparently stemming from a running dispute, was released by authorities Friday along with more details about the incident.

Gary Kelley, 50, was arrested after police suspect he shot and killed his 44-year-old neighbor, Juan Varela, on the sidewalk near their houses in 6400 block of South Montezuma Street at about 1 p.m., according to the Phoenix Police Department.

Varela's brother, Antonio, 45, was also involved in the incident.

Antonio told police that he came home Thursday afternoon to find Kelley walking toward his brother, who was watering a tree in the front yard, according to a police report.

Police said Kelley repeated a racial slur toward Varela several times before saying, "Hurry up and go back to Mexico, or you're going to die!"

Maria Lopez, Varela's niece, said he was a second-generation American who was born in Phoenix. He had a wife and a 13-year-old daughter.

Varela was said to have attempted to kick Kelley, but missed. Kelley allegedly pulled out a revolver and shot Varela once in the neck area, police said.

Kelley, holding a beer, left his house when police arrived. Police said he appeared intoxicated.

Kelley was not complying with officers' commands, police said, so he was pepper sprayed and taken into custody.

Varela was taken to a local hospital where he died.

Tragic to say the least.

Shit happens every fuckin day. If we all put local news BS on here we would be flooded with this bullshit. What are you pointing out?

Shit happens every fuckin day. If we all put local news BS on here we would be flooded with this bullshit. What are you pointing out?

I think it's always important to note why hate and racism are dangerous things.

No more dangerous than a jealous husband or an angry worker.

Whatever.

People talk like that to eachother all the fuckin time while being friends with others of the very race they talked shit about. When two people hate eachother they say anything to piss the other off.

Arizona is loaded with both Latinos and Whites. They get along no matter what you wanna believe. You will see when you get more life experiences I promise.

I work with a Puerto Rican guy and we both laugh and talk shit when he has a can of spray paint in his hand or a knife. Loosen the fuck up.

Whatever.

People talk like that to eachother all the fuckin time while being friends with others of the very race they talked shit about. When two people hate eachother they say anything to piss the other off.

Arizona is loaded with both Latinos and Whites. They get along no matter what you wanna believe. You will see when you get more life experiences I promise.

I work with a Puerto Rican guy and we both laugh and talk shit when he has a can of spray paint in his hand or a knife. Loosen the fuck up.

I think you seem to have mistaken this thread for something it's not. I don't think Latinos and Whites can't get along, in fact they have and I hope they continue to.

I bet all the money I've ever made if a Mexican killed a whte man in Pheonix MODMORON would'nt have said a fucking word about it. Not one word..:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I bet all the money I've ever made if a Mexican killed a whte man in Pheonix MODMORON would'nt have said a fucking word about it. Not one word..:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Well if there was a news article, I would certainly post it.

link us to the stories where white men have been murdered in Pheonix and where you posted it or prove such a story has never been printed MODMORON.

So wait, you want me to try and prove a negative? :eusa_eh: :lol:

so you were lying through your weasel teeth when you said you would post the story if it was printed?? I rest my case..

I would post the story if I found it, yes. I don't go around every single news site looking for stories, I post stories I come across on a website that has a bunch of links.

The simple fact of the matter is that illegal aliens murdering American citizens gets very little press...while the racially charged media, looking for the next white guy to brand a racist, only singles out the murder of ethnic immigrants or ethnic citizens by drunk white guys to popularize....in their attempt to brand all white people as gun toting drunken redneck racist homophobes. It fits in with the left's agenda perfectly...which is to legalize 12 million illegal aliens ahead of immigrants who complied with the law, so they have those 12 million registered as Democrats for the 2012 election. It would seem the democrats resist the requirement for showing proof of citizenship for anything because it would actually show how large the illegal alien problem is in our country and deplete their voter rolls by at least 20%.

He wouldn't think shit of it. That's why I called him on this BS.

Back up just a bit and think about what you're saying. Next time before you judge me, try not to jump to conclusions as to what I may or may not think or do. I think that's fair enough since I don't do that to you. :thup:

Whatever.

I think you seem to have mistaken this thread for something it's not. I don't think Latinos and Whites can't get along, in fact they have and I hope they continue to.

Then what is it about?

Forum List

Back