Phobias

apeirophobia-----anyone else ?

Is that the one about infinity?? Like thinking about the universe never ending?? Stop freaking me out.:eek:

Thats the one !

it goes on and on and on and on and on and on---

2230871370_43a9d8a55a.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MythBusters_(2004_season)

Peeing on the Third Rail

Myth statement
Urinating on an electric fence can cause electrocution. (Spinoff of Peeing on the Third Rail)

Status
Busted/Plausible

Notes
Upon retesting the myth on an electric fence it was found to be Plausible, but the rail was still Busted. Distance was the factor, as the urine stream breaks up less at the close range needed for urinating on the fence than urinating on the third rail, thus ensuring a direct line of current between one's body and the electrical source.

I think I have seen the Mythbusters episode.

Yes, I agree that the issue would be whether or not the stream was continual, but I think the guy in the 1000 ways to die episode was drunk and might distance from the fence matter? Standing too far away and the stream would obviously break, but too close and... zap!?

Immie

And the power of the fence would make a difference. I had a hot wire around the fence in my backyard to keep my great dane/bull mastiff mix from digging out. I'd bump it occasionally while mowing and it will get your attention, but it won't electrocute you. Now a security fence at some sort of military or correctional installation, who knows.

Actually, it's not about electrocution. It's about having a current sufficiently strong to interupt the heart rhythm. And that varies for each person.

My mom (an ICU nurse) used to tell us all the time that the voltage didn't matter, some people were just susceptible to having their heart beat interrupted, and once it's interrupted you're standing right there for arrest.

She said especially kids were vulnerable. So we never joked around with electric fences even though we had them around us the whole time we were growing up. Likewise, some horses who get zapped by a fence sometimes drop dead.

I saw our horseshoer pushed up against an electric fence behind the turn-back at an arena. Some cow was mashing him and he was SCREAMING. He couldn't help it, he said later. He had no memory of it. It lasted a good 20-30 seconds. Seemed like much longer, lol.

I think I have seen the Mythbusters episode.

Yes, I agree that the issue would be whether or not the stream was continual, but I think the guy in the 1000 ways to die episode was drunk and might distance from the fence matter? Standing too far away and the stream would obviously break, but too close and... zap!?

Immie

And the power of the fence would make a difference. I had a hot wire around the fence in my backyard to keep my great dane/bull mastiff mix from digging out. I'd bump it occasionally while mowing and it will get your attention, but it won't electrocute you. Now a security fence at some sort of military or correctional installation, who knows.

Actually, it's not about electrocution. It's about having a current sufficiently strong to interupt the heart rhythm. And that varies for each person.

My mom (an ICU nurse) used to tell us all the time that the voltage didn't matter, some people were just susceptible to having their heart beat interrupted, and once it's interrupted you're standing right there for arrest.

She said especially kids were vulnerable. So we never joked around with electric fences even though we had them around us the whole time we were growing up. Likewise, some horses who get zapped by a fence sometimes drop dead.

I saw our horseshoer pushed up against an electric fence behind the turn-back at an arena. Some cow was mashing him and he was SCREAMING. He couldn't help it, he said later. He had no memory of it. It lasted a good 20-30 seconds. Seemed like much longer, lol.

Perhaps he had a cow phobia and just didn't want ot admit it. ;)

Spiders - roaches - mice. I am one that can jump on a chair or table in a quarter of a second.

I an scared to death of those three. Not tiny spiders. The bigger ones.

Forum List

Back