Philly officials cite eatery for English-only sign

Stephanie

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2004
But store owner says he won't back down.
A sign telling customers they must order in English graces the counter Wednesday at Geno's Steaks in Philadelphia.

Updated: 1 hour, 9 minutes ago
PHILADELPHIA - An English-only ordering policy at one of the city’s most famous cheesesteak joints has drawn an official discrimination complaint, but the owner said Monday he won’t back down.

The city’s Commission on Human Relations alleges that the policy at Geno’s Steaks discourages customers of certain backgrounds from eating there, said Rachel Lawton, acting executive director.

Geno’s owner Joseph Vento posted two small signs at his shop in South Philadelphia proclaiming: “This is AMERICA: WHEN ORDERING ’PLEASE SPEAK ENGLISH.”’

Lawton said that violates the city’s Fair Practices Ordinance, which prohibits discrimination in employment, public accommodation and housing. “It’s discouraging patronage by non-English speaking customers because of their national origin or ancestry,” she said.

Vento, 66, whose grandparents struggled to learn English after arriving from Sicily in the 1920s, said Monday that he isn’t discriminating and has no intention of giving in.

“I would say they would have to handcuff me and take me out because I’m not taking it down,” Vento said.

He said no customer had ever been turned away because of the policy.

Vento said he posted the sign about six months ago because of concern over the debate on immigration reform and the increasing number of people in the area who can’t order in English. The historically Italian community has become more diverse as immigrants from Asia and Latin America have moved in.

Lawton said Vento could be ordered to take down the signs or face fines. The dispute could end up in court.

“Let them do what they want to,” Vento said. “When it comes, then we’ll deal with it.”

The Philadelphia Inquirer quoted Mary Catherine Roper, a spokeswoman for the American Civil Liberties Union, who said Geno’s “has a right to express its opinion, however offensive. ... But there are specific limitations on places of public accommodation, because they are supposed to be available to everyone.”

A city councilman quoted in the paper said the signs were “divisive and mean-spirited.”

I tried to bring the picture of the sign over, but couldn't for some reason... You can see it with the article....
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13272368

Stephanie said:
But store owner says he won't back down.
A sign telling customers they must order in English graces the counter Wednesday at Geno's Steaks in Philadelphia.

Updated: 1 hour, 9 minutes ago
PHILADELPHIA - An English-only ordering policy at one of the city’s most famous cheesesteak joints has drawn an official discrimination complaint, but the owner said Monday he won’t back down.

The city’s Commission on Human Relations alleges that the policy at Geno’s Steaks discourages customers of certain backgrounds from eating there, said Rachel Lawton, acting executive director.

Geno’s owner Joseph Vento posted two small signs at his shop in South Philadelphia proclaiming: “This is AMERICA: WHEN ORDERING ’PLEASE SPEAK ENGLISH.”’

Lawton said that violates the city’s Fair Practices Ordinance, which prohibits discrimination in employment, public accommodation and housing. “It’s discouraging patronage by non-English speaking customers because of their national origin or ancestry,” she said.

Vento, 66, whose grandparents struggled to learn English after arriving from Sicily in the 1920s, said Monday that he isn’t discriminating and has no intention of giving in.

“I would say they would have to handcuff me and take me out because I’m not taking it down,” Vento said.

Vento said he posted the sign about six months ago because of concern over the debate on immigration reform and the increasing number of people in the area who can’t order in English. The historically Italian community has become more diverse as immigrants from Asia and Latin America have moved in.

Lawton said Vento could be ordered to take down the signs or face fines. The dispute could end up in court.

“Let them do what they want to,” Vento said. “When it comes, then we’ll deal with it.”

The Philadelphia Inquirer quoted Mary Catherine Roper, a spokeswoman for the American Civil Liberties Union, who said Geno’s “has a right to express its opinion, however offensive. ... But there are specific limitations on places of public accommodation, because they are supposed to be available to everyone.”

A city councilman quoted in the paper said the signs were “divisive and mean-spirited.”

I tried to bring the picture of the sign over, but couldn't for some reason... You can see it with the article....
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13272368

What a crock of shit! What's this guy supposed to do, hire a handfull of full-time translators in case someone wants to order a Cheesesteak in Swahili?

I'm a Pat's fan myself...but this makes me think I should switch to Geno's.

Abbey Normal said:
Never underestimate the stubborness of a Philly Italian once he digs his heels in. ;)

Go Genos!

I always have step back and admire the backbone of Italian-Americans. We WASPs are usually the first to fold on racial matters. Not him!

Gem said:
I'm a Pat's fan myself...but this makes me think I should switch to Geno's.

Pats is the best but next time I'm in Philly Ill have to patronize Geno's. Maybe I'll find the room to eat two cheeze steaks:D

this dude is my hero...."right to refuse servcie"

btw if someone complains to the humans rights group do they have to fill out the form in english? what about when they get to court? will the trial be in spanish?

manu1959 said:
this dude is my hero...."right to refuse servcie"

btw if someone complains to the humans rights group do they have to fill out the form in english? what about when they get to court? will the trial be in spanish?

Mandarin.

This debate isn't really about english or spanish. Like most debates, it's about the most fundamental right of all: property rights. You should be able to do with your property as you please, so long as it doesn't violate others' property rights. If you want to serve only english speakers, that is your right. If you want to hire only short hispanic hindu french-speaking physically handicapped communist gay black women, and exclude whites, that is your right too, regardless of what civil rights laws say.

No way they are demonizing this guy. He is the champion of talk radio for the past month. Everyone loves Geno's here in philly and philly is one of the most liberal towns in America. This guy is saying what everyone else is thinking. No way they can possibly demonize this guy. They will try but they will fail.

GunnyL said:
True, but by the time the self-righteous, lefty "do-gooders" get done demonizing him, he'll be lucky if he has a business left.

You havent had his food have you?

One of my best friends growing up was a guy named Gill Scalissi. His family had come over from Italy a couple of generations ago, and they were proud AMERICANS. Yes the old man could speak english, but, he's dead and gone now. But I know for a fact, if he heard this crap, he'd have a lot to say about it. SPEAK FUCKIN' ENGLISH he'd say. Even though he was the Vice President of the Italian American Club in Madison, Wisconsin, he was proud to be an American.

I'm proud to be American. I live here. But if I was inclined to go to another country to live, I'd be of a mind to become a member of that country, including speaking their native tongue. Why is America all of a sudden a country that has to bend and yield to every stinking whimper of every stinking foreigner that comes here? It's the systematic gutting and deboning of America. It's taking away our heritage. It's denying us our own sovereignty. When will it end? When America falls?

Stephanie said:

So, he's had the sign up for six months and no one's come in trying to order in Svengali!! Sounds to me like this guy is just an attention whore. Smart way to drum up some business if you ask me.

I say, put up whatever sign you want... let the chips fall where they may. The city should keep out of it and let the forces of capitalism take over. Now if that means protests and boycotts don't come crying to me.

Does make one wonder if any of the immigrants down on at the produce dock are pissing on his lettuce before it gets shipped to him though. Think about it. It's possible. I wouldn't eat there if I were you.

GunnyL said:
True, but by the time the self-righteous, lefty "do-gooders" get done demonizing him, he'll be lucky if he has a business left.

So it goes with capitalism. You want good publicity, you don't do stupid stuff like put up a sign, which has no actual effect on your business, that might piss a bunch of people off. Duh.

Public relations are a part of business... my guess is that he's counting on an increase in business of those who hate immigrants to outweigh the damage done by the "do-gooders." My guess is that he may be on to something... a lot of haters out there. Free advertising. Guy's a genius if you ask me.

City should leave him alone. Let capitalism take care of it... my guess is the sign would be down in a year if the city let it go.

[sarcasm=on]
Right-o Asendorf, because EVERYTHING is a conspiracy and has HIDDEN MEANING! The guy OBVIOUSLY is motivated by GREED ALONE!

(sigh).

[/sarcasm]

jasendorf said:
Does make one wonder if any of the immigrants down on at the produce dock are pissing on his lettuce before it gets shipped to him though. Think about it. It's possible. I wouldn't eat there if I were you.
I had to pull this part out and ask if you feel that this would be appropriate behavior or not.

I would like to add that the only immigrants that would do that would be the illegal ones. The others are so happy to be in this great country, they learn the language in order to take advantage of all that it has to offer.

You wouldnt eat there because you dont like anyone sticking up for the US. Remember the US is a "Melding Pot" not isolated little pockets of this group or that group. The one thing that has always kept this country together is a common language. If someone doesnt want to learn the common language than dont cry foul when you cant get service. It is not up to the business owner to supply every ethnic group with a translator.

:salute: :salute: :salute: :salute:

• Thanks
Reactions: Joz
You did have a few moments of sanity with some of your posts here El Dorfo but then you had to ruin it with some of your other comments.

Easy way for the Non-English speakers to solve the problem. Don't go there.

You don't like the way a business operates, then don't patronize the business.

If enough people stop going, their profit goes down and they should change the way they operate.

Isn't American great!

Forum List

Back