Philly Mayor : 'You've damaged your own race'

A Juvenile Court judge gave voice to a city's frustration Thursday as he berated three young people for their roles in last month's Center City youth mob attacks.

"Your actions, behavior, and attitude are appalling and disgusting for civilized society," Judge Kevin Dougherty said during a hearing for two teenagers and an 11-year-old who ran riot with a large group on July 29 around 15th and Walnut Streets. Four people were bloodied and beaten.

Dougherty ordered the oldest of the youths, a 17-year-old described as the ringleader, to a state juvenile detention facility, where he could be held until he turns 21.

He sent the other teenager, 16, to a residential school for delinquents, and placed the 11-year-old in his maternal grandmother's care pending a behavioral evaluation this month. For now, he will be fitted with a GPS monitoring anklet and forbidden from leaving the house without his grandmother.

The judge then called up the 17-year-old, the alleged ringleader who threw the first punch of the night at Schenkel and later laughed in a police officer's face as a man lay bleeding in the street.

"How come you're not smiling here?" he asked. "Tell me what was so funny smiling at a cop."

"He is scared," the teen's lawyer said.

"I wonder if it is similar to the fear of the human beings who saw a pack of people running down the street at them," Dougherty said.

The judge said he saw no remorse from the teen. "I'm putting you away," he said.

A judge berates three who took part in last month's Center City youth mob attacks | Philadelphia Inquirer | 08/19/2011

:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

A Juvenile Court judge gave voice to a city's frustration Thursday as he berated three young people for their roles in last month's Center City youth mob attacks.

"Your actions, behavior, and attitude are appalling and disgusting for civilized society," Judge Kevin Dougherty said during a hearing for two teenagers and an 11-year-old who ran riot with a large group on July 29 around 15th and Walnut Streets. Four people were bloodied and beaten.

Dougherty ordered the oldest of the youths, a 17-year-old described as the ringleader, to a state juvenile detention facility, where he could be held until he turns 21.

He sent the other teenager, 16, to a residential school for delinquents, and placed the 11-year-old in his maternal grandmother's care pending a behavioral evaluation this month. For now, he will be fitted with a GPS monitoring anklet and forbidden from leaving the house without his grandmother.

The judge then called up the 17-year-old, the alleged ringleader who threw the first punch of the night at Schenkel and later laughed in a police officer's face as a man lay bleeding in the street.

"How come you're not smiling here?" he asked. "Tell me what was so funny smiling at a cop."

"He is scared," the teen's lawyer said.

"I wonder if it is similar to the fear of the human beings who saw a pack of people running down the street at them," Dougherty said.

The judge said he saw no remorse from the teen. "I'm putting you away," he said.

A judge berates three who took part in last month's Center City youth mob attacks | Philadelphia Inquirer | 08/19/2011

:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

You do the crime, you do the time.

Could you imagine teaching in a Phila. high school? This is how these teens treat people they don't even know. I shudder to think of what they do to people who may tell them"no".

Could you imagine teaching in a Phila. high school? This is how these teens treat people they don't even know. I shudder to think of what they do to people who may tell them"no".

They need to hire US Marine Corp drill instructors to teach in those schools.

Blacks were forced to become Americans, look how unhappy blacks are in America.

They should be back in there natural environment, where they can run around and act wild.

Forum List

Back