Philippines: Another Front

freeandfun1

VIP Member
Feb 14, 2004
Crisis in the Philippines: What does it mean for the U.S.?

Manila’s descent into political chaos presents the United States with three major concerns:

1. The war on terrorism will continue to take a back seat to the political mess in Manila. The southern Philippines is a hotbed of Islamic terrorism where two Muslim insurgencies, the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) and Abu Sayyaf Group (ASG), are based. Philippine military operations in the southern Philippines have been dwindling, despite persistent claims that the ASG, MILF, and Jemaah Islamiyah—all with al Qaeda connections—are training and operating there. President Arroyo’s commitment to the war on terrorism came into question when she withdrew a 60-man military medical team from Iraq after a Philippine citizen was kidnapped. Since 9/11, Arroyo’s support for the war on terror has waned, and there has been little substance to her rhetoric. Now faced with probably the gravest peril of her political life, it is unlikely that the war on terrorism will be given a renewed priority in her agenda.
The other war against terror ... at $8 a day

London gets our sympathy and Afghanistan our SAS, but Australia's battered and bombed northern neighbour has been left to fight the war on terror with a bunch of ill-equipped, underpaid, malaria-wracked young men. Matt Thompson spent May eating raw goat and singing karaoke with the Philippine military in the country's south where they battle al Qaeda-linked terrorist groups.

The Philippines is South-East Asia's frontline in the war on terror - a hot zone where the Bali bombers of Jemmah Islamiyah and other al-Qaeda-linked groups train in jungles and mountains controlled by Islamic rebels.

freeandfun1 said:

Maybe it's just me, but my brain hurt after seeing 1 of 3:

2. Economic development and reform and trade expansion will be delayed as politicians focus on Manila politics. Under President Arroyo, inflation has risen, corruption is unchecked, and government spending has increased, which, combined with low tax revenues, has led to massive budget deficits. Foreign direct investment in 2004 leveled off at $680 million, well below the $3 to 4 billion average of other ASEAN countries. Amid accusations of electoral fraud, Arroyo took preliminary steps to ease the corporate tax burden and root out corruption, hoping to attract overseas investors. Nevertheless, the Philippines’ credit rating was recently downgraded from “stable” to “negative” by two major ratings agencies due to political uncertainty. Arroyo’s efforts have fallen short of expectations, and economic concerns will continue to be unaddressed due to the current political turmoil.

3. Chinese influence will continue to expand while Arroyo fights for her political life. China has developed and refined a policy of helping regimes in trouble by offering considerable political and economic support. This will become true for the Philippines, as China moves away from threatening rhetoric on territorial disputes in the South China Sea and employs a new approach. Beijing offered Manila $3 million for the establishment of a Chinese language-training program for the Philippine military, donated engineering equipment, and invited the Philippines to participate in naval exercises. Moreover, in the midst of stern U.S. criticism of the withdrawal of the Philippine medical team from Iraq, President Arroyo signed a confidential protocol with China on the exploitation of South China Sea resources. With her presidency in dire straits, Arroyo will gladly accept more largesse from Beijing.

Well, I just posted the first one since it is the one that deals with the WoT. I figured anybody that wanted to read it would click on the link... :cof:

The Philippine front is the "forgotten" front. Since Arroyo is facing so many problems, she is ignoring it.

I knew some guys from 5th Group that were down there for over a year, but they left because of the Philippine government not wanting them there.

freeandfun1 said:
Well, I just posted the first one since it is the one that deals with the WoT. I figured anybody that wanted to read it would click on the link... :cof:

The Philippine front is the "forgotten" front. Since Arroyo is facing so many problems, she is ignoring it.

I knew some guys from 5th Group that were down there for over a year, but they left because of the Philippine government not wanting them there.

Some of my best students are Filopinos, without exception they've been taught to hate the government. They go back to visit, mostly at Christmas. Nicer kids or parents you are not going to meet.

Kathianne said:
Some of my best students are Filipinos, without exception they've been taught to hate the government. They go back to visit, mostly at Christmas. Nicer kids or parents you are not going to meet.
Yes, I know a lot of Filipinos and they are nice folks. Every government they end up with ends up corrupt though. It is part of the culture.

freeandfun1 said:
Yes, I know a lot of Filipinos and they are nice folks. Every government they end up with ends up corrupt though. It is part of the culture.

Yep, it's why they said they came here, even though they start at the bottom.

Forum List

Back