Philippines: Another Front

Discussion in 'Middle East - General' started by freeandfun1, Jul 20, 2005.

1. freeandfun1

freeandfun1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Crisis in the Philippines: What does it mean for the U.S.?

The other war against terror ... at $8 a day

2. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Maybe it's just me, but my brain hurt after seeing 1 of 3:

2. Economic development and reform and trade expansion will be delayed as politicians focus on Manila politics. Under President Arroyo, inflation has risen, corruption is unchecked, and government spending has increased, which, combined with low tax revenues, has led to massive budget deficits. Foreign direct investment in 2004 leveled off at $680 million, well below the $3 to 4 billion average of other ASEAN countries. Amid accusations of electoral fraud, Arroyo took preliminary steps to ease the corporate tax burden and root out corruption, hoping to attract overseas investors. Nevertheless, the Philippines’ credit rating was recently downgraded from “stable” to “negative” by two major ratings agencies due to political uncertainty. Arroyo’s efforts have fallen short of expectations, and economic concerns will continue to be unaddressed due to the current political turmoil.

3. Chinese influence will continue to expand while Arroyo fights for her political life. China has developed and refined a policy of helping regimes in trouble by offering considerable political and economic support. This will become true for the Philippines, as China moves away from threatening rhetoric on territorial disputes in the South China Sea and employs a new approach. Beijing offered Manila $3 million for the establishment of a Chinese language-training program for the Philippine military, donated engineering equipment, and invited the Philippines to participate in naval exercises. Moreover, in the midst of stern U.S. criticism of the withdrawal of the Philippine medical team from Iraq, President Arroyo signed a confidential protocol with China on the exploitation of South China Sea resources. With her presidency in dire straits, Arroyo will gladly accept more largesse from Beijing.

3. freeandfun1

freeandfun1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Well, I just posted the first one since it is the one that deals with the WoT. I figured anybody that wanted to read it would click on the link... :cof:

The Philippine front is the "forgotten" front. Since Arroyo is facing so many problems, she is ignoring it.

I knew some guys from 5th Group that were down there for over a year, but they left because of the Philippine government not wanting them there.

4. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Some of my best students are Filopinos, without exception they've been taught to hate the government. They go back to visit, mostly at Christmas. Nicer kids or parents you are not going to meet.

5. freeandfun1

freeandfun1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Yes, I know a lot of Filipinos and they are nice folks. Every government they end up with ends up corrupt though. It is part of the culture.

6. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Yep, it's why they said they came here, even though they start at the bottom.