Philippine mayor among 10 killed in shootout as drug war enters new phase

PurpleOwl

Gold Member
Jul 26, 2016
161025-philippines-drug-war-cr_03_5c6d3edfb2132d1a011e4810a0ff0519.nbcnews-ux-1024-900.jpg

A small town mayor in the Philippines was executed by police, he was accused of drug trafficking despite having a strong anti-drug stance

A mayor on Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte's wanted list for alleged drugs links was killed along with nine of his guards in a shootout on Friday, police said, as a new phase of a bloody narcotics crackdown zeroed-in on high profile targets.

The 10 men succumbed to their wounds en route to hospital, police said, having opened fire on officers who tried to stop their two vehicles at a checkpoint in Duterte's troubled home province of Mindanao before dawn.

"It was a legitimate police operation," said Bernard Tayong of the North Cotabato police office, adding that no officers were hurt but a police vehicle was riddled with bullets.

"We have information the mayor and his men were transporting drugs so we tried to intercept them but they chose to shoot it out," he told reporters.

The killing of Samsudin Dimaukom, a powerful mayor, took place far from his predominantly Muslim town of Datu Saudi Ampatuan.

It came as police shift tactics in the controversial war on drugs by focusing on politicians, government officials, celebrities and high-ranking army and police suspected of involvement in the trade.

The new plan, called "Project Double Barrel Alpha", was reported exclusively by Reuters on Monday and aims to increase arrests and reduce the bloodshed in a campaign that has claimed more than 2,300 lives since Duterte took office on June 30.

Duterte won a May election on the promises of killing criminals and campaigned under the logo of a clenched fist.

Duterte returned from a visit to Japan late on Thursday and during a news conference waved a thick book he said contained names of officials suspected of drug links. The book contains about 3,000 names. "I do not want to make this public because it will just make the Filipino cry," he said.

Of those killed in the anti-drugs campaign, more than 1,600 died during police operations, a toll that has drawn international concern about extrajudicial killings.
Philippine mayor among 10 killed in shootout as drug war enters new phase

That's how you knock off those who oppose you. You just tar them with any label you like, and people will accept it.

Rodrigo Duterte was a Filipino photocopy of Trump during his campaign, which only solidified my beliefs on what kind of president Donald would be.

The phillipines have a long history of cutthroat "democracy."

In 2009, the mayor of Maguindanao ordered an armed hit squad to murder the 58 people filing for a certificate of candidacy for a challenger to the incumbent mayor. Among those slaughtered were the challengers entire family. None of the targets survived.

• Thanks
Reactions: xyz
The Philippines now have their own version of Hitler. Fucking sad.

The right thinks this shit is a'ok too.
A lot of them think he's cool because he hates America too. It's ironic.

Well if the mayor is guilty as charged then justice has been served. Drugs are a great burden on society, getting rid of the poison will only make things better.

On the other hand if this was a setup to get rid of a political opponent it would terrible. Unfortunately no one will ever really know I would think.

Well if the mayor is guilty as charged then justice has been served. Drugs are a great burden on society, getting rid of the poison will only make things better.

On the other hand if this was a setup to get rid of a political opponent it would terrible. Unfortunately no one will ever really know I would think.

Well he can't be "guilty as charged" as he wasn't charged with anything, was he?

Well he can't be "guilty as charged" as he wasn't charged with anything, was he?
That's right. But if he was guilty of this then justice is served, again. But like I said we'll never really truly know.

That's right. But if he was guilty of this then justice is served, again. But like I said we'll never really truly know.

Which means justice wasn't served, justice involves the truth coming out.

If he was trafficking drugs then justice is served. It's not a hard concept to understand. Will we know the truth? Probably not.

If he was trafficking drugs then justice is served. It's not a hard concept to understand. Will we know the truth? Probably not.

But JUSTICE is when the truth is found, then a person is sentenced. It's not justice if no one knows.

But JUSTICE is when the truth is found, then a person is sentenced. It's not justice if no one knows.
So if he was trafficking drugs and he was killed and no one truly finds the truth of this, justice was not served? I would say it was. Of course, like I keep saying we will never know.

What would you call it? Another innocent victim? Poor innocent drug dealer. It's time to take out the trash and drain the swamp.

So if he was trafficking drugs and he was killed and no one truly finds the truth of this, justice was not served? I would say it was. Of course, like I keep saying we will never know.

What would you call it? Another innocent victim? Poor innocent drug dealer. It's time to take out the trash and drain the swamp.

No, it's not. It might be considered good, but it's not justice, justice is when there is a legal process that then finds out what the truth is. Without it you don't have justice. Some call it "mob justice" but that also has negative connotations.

Forum List

Back