Pharmacists Can’t Say No to Contraception

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Mr. P, Nov 30, 2005.

1. Mr. P

Mr. P Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +618
    Have at it!

http://www.opednews.com/articles/opedne_gene_c___051130_pharmacists_can_92t_sa.htm

http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dsnews/305nd3.htm

2. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
  3. Bullypulpit

Bullypulpit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +379
    Yeah, if you could do that, drug-addled gasbag, Rush Limbaugh wouldn't be in a pickle over his illegal oxycontin purchases. Of course, if that's the route you want to go, be sure to legalize heroine, cocaine (both powder and rock), and let's not forget weed, crank, LSD, 'shrooms, ecstasy, roofies and any other designer drug that comes down the pike. That'll go over with the religious right like a turd in a punch-bowl.

If an MD legally prescribes a medication for a patient , a pharmacist is obligated to fulfill that prescription unless there is a valid, medically sound reason for doing so, such as drug/drug interactions, and then they should be calling the MD to find out why the med is being prescribed. Their moral qualms about birth-control or their beliefs about conception do not enter into the picture.

4. Trigg

Trigg Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +69

:clap:

5. Gem

Gem BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +782
    What a surprise...I disagree with Bully ( :p: ) But don't worry...I only disagree a little bit.

I think that a pharmacist has every right to refuse to fill prescriptions that go against his religious or personal views....

As long as he works in a privately-owned pharmacy that lets it be known that they are a religiously based/run pharmacy that will not fill certain prescriptions due to moral reasons.

If he works for a big name pharmacy like RITE AID or Wal-Mart - a store that claims from their headquarters to run pharmacies that fill prescriptions regardless of the religious beliefs of the pharmacists...then he better fill the friggin prescriptions without incident or he should be fired (AND, in my opinion, liable for medical expenses and/or pain and sufferring for the results of any pregnancy that results from a woman who went to that pharmacy for the morning after pill and didn't get it!).

6. Hobbit

Hobbit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +421
    I don't think they should have to fill perscriptions agains their religion just because they work at a chain, but I also think they should only be afforded that luxury if they notify their employers ahead of time. I have religious objections to working on Sunday morning, when I should be in church, but I let my employers know that I can't work before 1 pm before I start my first day at work, preferably on my application. If my employer asks me to work on Sunday, I refuse, but then again, I'm entitled to becuase they knew before asking that I couldn't work on Sundays. If a pharmacist refuses to fill certain perscription for religious reasons, it should be stated before employment. There will be few instances where a store can deny you employment because of that, since it would violate your first ammendment rights (with an exception if the store would have to leave you alone in the pharmacy with nobody else to fill the perscription). If you don't tell them, however, it's your own fault.

7. MissileMan

MissileMan Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +223
    I don't know what kind of fairy-tale world you live in, but in the world of reality, the employer dictates policy. If any employee doesn't like policy they have two choices...suck it up, or find a new job.

8. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    Ahhhhhhh Pharmacies are the govts way of protecting me from myself?

9. Mr. P

Mr. P Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +618
    Wrong, at least in Georgia where we live, Hobbit. An employer can hire AND fire at will, and your first amendment rights don't even come into play.

10. Hobbit

Hobbit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +421
    That will never stand in the Supreme Court if it can be proven that your rights were violated. Nobody is above the Constitution. That's like those schools that don't penalize fighting. It's all fine and dandy until somebody takes it up with a higher authority. I've seen the courts hold up cases where somebody was refused a job because of weight. The court ruled that the company had no grounds to refuse employement, and that doing so solely for weight reasons violated her constitutional rights.