pharmacist have 1st Amendment right to refuse to dispense Plan B

Quantum Windbag

Gold Member
May 9, 2010
Doesn't look good for the Obama administration in its attempts to restrict religious liberty to only applying in churches.

I’m pleased to report that a federal district court in Washington state today delivered an important victory for religious liberty. As I outlined in several posts some weeks ago, Washington state regulations violate the Free Exercise Clause of the First Amendment by compelling pharmacies and pharmacists to dispense the abortifacient drug Plan B, notwithstanding their religiously informed conscientious convictions not to participate in the destruction of the life of an unborn human being.
In its opinion today, the federal district court correctly ruled that the regulations do violate plaintiffs’ Free Exercise rights. Specifically, the court determined that the regulations are not neutral for purposes of deference under Employment Division v. Smith. Rather, they“are riddled with exemptions for secular conduct, but contain no such exemptions for identical religiously-motivated conduct” and thus amount to an “impermissible religious gerrymander.” Likewise, the regulations are not “generally applicable” but rather “have been selectively enforced, in two ways”: First, the rule that pharmacies timely deliver all lawful medications has been enforced only against the plaintiff pharmacy and only for failure to deliver plan B. Second, the rules haven’t been enforced against the state’s numerous Catholic-affiliated pharmacies, which also refuse to stock or dispense Plan B.
For each of these reasons, the regulations are therefore subject to strict scrutiny, which they can’t survive.
The court also found that the state regulations were “aimed at Plan B and conscientious objectors from their inception.” Indeed, “the predominant purpose of the rule was to stamp out the right to refuse.”

Important Victory for Religious Liberty in Washington State - By Ed Whelan - Bench Memos - National Review Online

:clap2:

But expect this to be over turned.

Can't allow those terrible pharmacists to object to killing babies! My goodness if we let them get away with it who knows who will object next.

/sarcasm off

Immie

Pharmacists should have the right to refuse to fill what they want to refruse to fill. And their customers should have every right to take their business elsewhere. When did the consumer forget that he is king?

Pharmacists should have the right to refuse to fill what they want to refruse to fill. And their customers should have every right to take their business elsewhere. When did the consumer forget that he is king?

I completely agree.

Immie

People also have a 1st amendment right to organize boycotts of pharmacies who prefer to sell Jesus instead of merchandise.

People also have a 1st amendment right to organize boycotts of pharmacies who prefer to sell Jesus instead of merchandise.

Good luck with that. There's a shortage of pharmacists. Most of them take their job very seriously and doing harm to someone is against their views.

no they don't. They have a job to do. Which has been shown over and over again when people have done this. The end result is they are fired.

Don't want to deal out medicine? don't go into that field of work.

Hey dipwad, poison isn't medicine.

I agree. I should have the right to refuse to inspect whatever plane I want to refuse to inspect and I shouldn't have to tell anyone about it.

Hell, I should even sign off the inspection without doing the work, it's my right.

no they don't. They have a job to do. Which has been shown over and over again when people have done this. The end result is they are fired.

If the owner of the pharmacy wants them to dispense Plan B and they refuse, then the owner has the right to not employ them if he/she so chooses. Unfortunately, it seems you would also remove that right from the owner of the pharmacy.

Didn't you make the claim earlier today that you were for personal liberties? You sure do a shitty job of defending personal liberties.

Immie

I agree. I should have the right to refuse to inspect whatever plane I want to refuse to inspect and I shouldn't have to tell anyone about it.

Hell, I should even sign off the inspection without doing the work, it's my right.

Yes, you should be able to kill people at work too. Good point.

The judge in this case thinks your argument is full of shit. I think he's right.

The judge in this case thinks your argument is full of shit. I think he's right.

Liberals respect the law, JUST as long as it agrees with them.

If the owner of the pharmacy wants them to dispense Plan B and they refuse, then the owner has the right to not employ them if he/she so chooses. Unfortunately, it seems you would also remove that right from the owner of the pharmacy.

Didn't you make the claim earlier today that you were for personal liberties? You sure do a shitty job of defending personal liberties.

Immie

It is typical lefty 'thought'... they defend only the personal liberties at they agree with. Their logic is somewhat lacking in critical thought.

Immie

It is typical lefty 'thought'... they defend only the personal liberties at they agree with. Their logic is somewhat lacking in critical thought.

The only personal liberty he has ever defended is the liberty to take the life of another human being before it exits the womb.

Immie

Forum List

Back