Pfizer fined $2.3 billion dollars

all medicines should be labeled---YOU MIGHT DIE OR HAVE SHITTY THINGS HAPPEN TO YOU IF YOU TAKE THIS.

Unfortunately this is true. One is taking a gamble, everytime they swallow a pill, or take medication in any form. The majority of it isn't organic, so our bodies are like.."WTF?" when we ingest them.

Lawyers have convinced us that we deserve some type of guarantee against anything bad happening to us.

all medicines should be labeled---YOU MIGHT DIE OR HAVE SHITTY THINGS HAPPEN TO YOU IF YOU TAKE THIS.

Unfortunately this is true. One is taking a gamble, everytime they swallow a pill, or take medication in any form. The majority of it isn't organic, so our bodies are like.."WTF?" when we ingest them.

Lawyers have convinced us that we deserve some type of guarantee against anything bad happening to us.
hell, look at can of soup now
they actually had to put in the instruction to "open can"
how fucking stupid must one be to not already KNOW that

I'm still in shock over the lady who burnt her lap with hot coffee from a drive thru ... WTF?

I'm still in shock over the lady who burnt her lap with hot coffee from a drive thru ... WTF?

Yes, I'm totally with you on that Kitt.

Then you should also understand what I mean about no longer holding people's hands. ;)

People need to start paying attention to the world around them a lot more instead of being spoon fed and just taking it. We are heading toward the movie "Wall-E" (if you haven't seen it, I recommend it).

Then you should also understand what I mean about no longer holding people's hands. ;)

People need to start paying attention to the world around them a lot more instead of being spoon fed and just taking it. We are heading toward the movie "Wall-E" (if you haven't seen it, I recommend it).

I don't personally consider expecting a drug company and physicians not to market and prescribe unsafe drug doses, spoonfeeding. They knew better. That's it. Just like patients trust that I won't push cardizem through their IV too quickly and send them into cardiac arrest. I would get in trouble, and they should too....and have.

It's not as if they didn't know that they were harming people. I have no doubt in my mind that these people knew. Especially the physicians.

Last edited:
not only that but that thing had factual errors in it
MOST people make coffee by BOILING water
whats the boiling point of water again?

;)

and
if they have one of the new Keurig coffee machines(I do), it has 2 settings, 187° and 195°
so they LIED about the temps that MOST people serve coffee

It makes no sense how people can actually think suing over hot coffee that burns you, the lady should have been thrown in jail for doing non-driving tasks while driving if anything.

Use yours.

Stella Liebeck of Albuquerque, New Mexico, was in the passenger seat of
her grandson's car
when she was severely burned by McDonalds' coffee in
February 1992. Liebeck, 79 at the time, ordered coffee that was served
in a styrofoam cup at the drivethrough window of a local McDonalds.

After receiving the order, the grandson pulled his car forward and
stopped momentarily so that Liebeck could add cream and sugar to her
coffee.
(Critics of civil justice, who have pounced on this case, often
charge that Liebeck was driving the car or that the vehicle was in
motion when she spilled the coffee; neither is true.) Liebeck placed
the cup between her knees and attempted to remove the plastic lid from
the cup. As she removed the lid, the entire contents of the cup spilled
into her lap.

from paperview's link^

Use yours.

Stella Liebeck of Albuquerque, New Mexico, was in the passenger seat of
her grandson's car
when she was severely burned by McDonalds' coffee in
February 1992. Liebeck, 79 at the time, ordered coffee that was served
in a styrofoam cup at the drivethrough window of a local McDonalds.

After receiving the order, the grandson pulled his car forward and
stopped momentarily so that Liebeck could add cream and sugar to her
coffee.
(Critics of civil justice, who have pounced on this case, often
charge that Liebeck was driving the car or that the vehicle was in
motion when she spilled the coffee; neither is true.) Liebeck placed
the cup between her knees and attempted to remove the plastic lid from
the cup. As she removed the lid, the entire contents of the cup spilled
into her lap.

from paperview's link^

Which isn't a widely accepted version of the story. ;)

I thought you liked mass media, NBC, CBS, etc..

It's called hot coffee! Fucking duh.

;)

and
if they have one of the new Keurig coffee machines(I do), it has 2 settings, 187° and 195°

It makes no sense how people can actually think suing over hot coffee that burns you, the lady should have been thrown in jail for doing non-driving tasks while driving if anything.
the idea that coffee wouldnt be HOT is absurd to me
unless you ask for ICED coffee

;)

and

the idea that coffee wouldnt be HOT is absurd to me
unless you ask for ICED coffee

Which has always been the core point I hold to on this matter. The rest are just minor details, and my last one was just opinion, I don't think anyone should do anything but drive and anyone stupid enough to do anything with any danger in a moving vehicle is ... well stupid.

The Actual Facts about the Mcdonalds' Coffee Case
There is a lot of hype about the McDonalds' scalding coffee case. No one is in favor of frivolous cases of outlandish results; however, it is important to understand some points that were not reported in most of the stories about the case. McDonalds coffee was not only hot, it was scalding -- capable of almost instantaneous destruction of skin, flesh
and muscle.
Here's the whole story.

Stella Liebeck of Albuquerque, New Mexico, was in the passenger seat of her grandson's car when she was severely burned by McDonalds' coffee in
February 1992. Liebeck, 79 at the time, ordered coffee that was served in a styrofoam cup at the drivethrough window of a local McDonalds.

After receiving the order, the grandson pulled his car forward and stopped momentarily so that Liebeck could add cream and sugar to her coffee. (Critics of civil justice, who have pounced on this case, often charge that Liebeck was driving the car or that the vehicle was in motion when she spilled the coffee; neither is true.) Liebeck placed
the cup between her knees and attempted to remove the plastic lid from the cup. As she removed the lid, the entire contents of the cup spilled into her lap.

The sweatpants Liebeck was wearing absorbed the coffee and held it next to her skin. A vascular surgeon determined that Liebeck suffered full
thickness burns (or third-degree burns)
over 6 percent of her body, including her inner thighs, perineum, buttocks, and genital and groin areas. She was hospitalized for eight days, during which time she underwent skin grafting. Liebeck, who also underwent debridement treatments, sought to settle her claim for $20,000, but McDonalds refused.

During discovery, McDonalds produced documents showing more than 700 claims by people burned by its coffee between 1982 and 1992. Some claims involved third-degree burns substantially similar to Liebecks. This history documented McDonalds' knowledge about the extent and nature of this hazard.

McDonalds also said during discovery that, based on a consultants advice, it held its coffee at between 180 and 190 degrees fahrenheit to
maintain optimum taste. He admitted that he had not evaluated the safety ramifications at this temperature. Other establishments sell coffee at substantially lower temperatures, and coffee served at home is generally 135 to 140 degrees.

Further, McDonalds' quality assurance manager testified that the company actively enforces a requirement that coffee be held in the pot at 185
degrees, plus or minus five degrees. He also testified that a burn hazard exists with any food substance served at 140 degrees or above,
and that McDonalds coffee, at the temperature at which it was poured into styrofoam cups, was not fit for consumption because it would burn
the mouth and throat.
The quality assurance manager admitted that burns would occur, but testified that McDonalds had no intention of reducing the "holding temperature" of its coffee.

Plaintiffs' expert, a scholar in thermodynamics applied to human skin burns, testified that liquids, at 180 degrees, will cause a full thickness burn to human skin in two to seven seconds.

----

The jury awarded Liebeck $200,000 in compensatory damages. This amount was reduced to $160,000 because the jury found Liebeck 20 percent at fault in the spill. The jury also awarded Liebeck $2.7 million in punitive damages, which equals about two days of McDonalds' coffee sales.

The trial court subsequently reduced the punitive award to $480,000 -- or three times compensatory damages -- even though the judge called McDonalds' conduct reckless, callous and willful.

No one will ever know the final ending to this case.

The parties eventually entered into a secret settlement which has never been revealed to the public

Forum List

Back