Pew Poll: 6% of Scientists are Republicans

I'm being partisan only in that the old school traditional "right" was along the lines of the live-and-let-live attitudes of Robert Taft and Barry Goldwater.

The only criteria you seem to have between what constitutes "left" and "right" is how and what contexts proactive coercion is applied, not the fact in and of itself.

Given that to admit to being a Republican on your average college campus can get you laughed out of town if not fired what do you expect?

Given that to admit to being a Republican on your average college campus can get you laughed out of town if not fired what do you expect?

:lol: What? Are you referring to professors?

Just about every college I'm sure has a group called "Young Republicans", I'm sure you've heard of them? :eusa_eh:

Just about every college I'm sure has a group called "Young Republicans", I'm sure you've heard of them? :eusa_eh:
Tell ya what.....

You hand in your master's thesis at Princeton, to Paul Krugman, entitled "The Great Contributions of Ludwig von Mises and Austrian Economics", and tell me how you think you'll make out on getting that degree.

Tell ya what.....

You hand in your master's thesis at Princeton, to Paul Krugman, entitled "The Great Contributions of Ludwig von Mises and Austrian Economics", and tell me how you think you'll make out on getting that degree.

:lol: The same is certainly true on colleges that are Republican except with different topics.

BTW: If I could afford to go to a place like Princeton, I wouldn't waste my money and go there considering there's certainly just as good colleges if not better colleges at a cheaper price. :lol:

There aren't any Republican controlled colleges that aren't Called West Point, the Airforce Academy of the the naval Academy. And frankly there's more academic freedom there than on most other college campuses in the country.

And yes I was referencing professors not the student body. Which by the way would be obvious if you weren't woring on your masters in douche baggery.

"Republican" colleges???

Name 'em.

If you truly think they don't exist then I don't know what to tell you. I don't have a comprehensive list on me but if I find it in my searches, I'll post it here.

And yes I was referencing professors not the student body. Which by the way would be obvious if you weren't working on your masters in douche baggery.
(Fixed it for you :))

$Hang in There.jpg

IOW, you can't name them, and just toss out "republican colleges" as the best strawman you can grasp at.

How about Hillsdale??...Even though they're generally classical liberal in their overall atmosphere, they're hardly a propaganda arm of the RNC.

O.K....I named one "republican college" booger man...C'mon and lay the rest of 'em on me.

C'mon....Dazzle us.

IOW, you can't name them, and just toss out "republican colleges" as the best strawman you can grasp at.

How about Hillsdale??...Even though they're generally classical liberal in their overall atmosphere, they're hardly a propaganda arm of the RNC.

O.K....I named one "republican college" booger man...C'mon and lay the rest of 'em on me.

C'mon....Dazzle us.

It's not strawman. Garyd named a few, I was actually thinking of West Point.

The thing is, many Republican colleges are private colleges. Many religious colleges can be considered Republican colleges.

Military academies are military academies, not political indoctrination centers....Trying to claim them as "republican" is absurd.

Now, where's that list??

Well Garyd is being absurd then, I was simply pointing out what he was saying. You're calling these colleges "political indoctrination" centers when we both know that it doesn't depend on the college but the professor.

There is no specific list out there, and you know it. However, as most religious (private) colleges have views mostly aligned with Republican ideals they could be considered "Republican" colleges.

My son goes to CUA Their philosophy is "we are not a liberal college or a conservative college We are an unapologetic Catholic College He's studying politics and considers himself a libertarian. He's been THROWN out of class for challenging his liberal professors.

His girlfriend goes to Georgetown. That "Catholic" college that hid the crucifixes for the Prez.

There are no major "Republican" colleges anymore.

I'd love to see a serious study done on IQ and political beliefs (not parties, beliefs)

Bet your ass that would cause more fireworks than the BELL CURVE books did.

Anyone care to make wager on which self-identifying belief systems have the higher IQs?

How about which groups have the higher levels of formal education?

Did you really think that the republicans could (or really wanted) win with the old geezer, who lost to the goober who ended up being most unpopular president since Harry Truman??

Probably not, though Bush played some VERY dirty tactics against McCain in North Carolina back in 2000. Also, wasn't Bush more unpopular than Truman?
I'm sooooo tired of that lame-assed South Carolina bullshit excuse. Fact is that John McOldfuck was always a shitty candidate.

And yes, Li'l Bushie was less popular than Truman, by a nose....Which makes him the least popular since then.

Strangely enough Bush also holds the record for highest approval rating of any President (90%), followed by Bush Sr and then....wait for it....Truman.

Go figure.

P.S.-Nixon was lower than Bush and Carter got down to 28%

United States Presidential approval rating - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I have known or met a few scientists at the universities, so this is hardly a representative sample, but the message they have conveyed in conversation was that the Bush administration, more than any other administration they could remember, injected religion and politics into the scientific community by either appointing religious people who would use religion in their decision making into positions of authority or just flat out ignore the scientific community if they thought it would upset their religious constituency. My guess is that if this poll were conducted 10 years ago, more scientists would have said they were Republicans.

Also, it is no surprise that there would be more Democrat than Republican scientists in general since many scientists are in academia and on the government payroll, and they tend to vote Democrat since the Democrats are more likely to favor government support of most things, including the sciences.

Tell ya what.....

If it's well written thesis and your defence of it's premise is sound, I'm fairly certain you'd get your masters regardless of the sentiments of the professors.

FYI, economics isn't a hard science, anyway.

It's a social science.

Last edited:

They are certainly more Liberal overall in the grand scheme of things. Again, how unsurprising. I think the #s for the for the Military question is interesting.

528-55.gif

I find interesting the number of the public who believe the government has the responsibility to look after people who can't take care of themselves - 63%.

Forum List

Back