Pew: Only 34% of Americans know that TARP was enacted under Bush

Modbert

Daydream Believer
Sep 2, 2008
Well Known: Twitter; Little Known: John Roberts: Overview - Pew Research Center for the People & the Press

Yet the public continues to struggle in identifying political figures, foreign leaders and even knowing facts about key government policies. Only about a third of Americans (34%) know that the government’s bailout of banks and financial institutions was enacted under the Bush administration. Nearly half (47%) incorrectly say that the Troubled Asset Relief Program – widely known as TARP – was signed into law by President Obama.

Even fewer (28%) are able to identify John Roberts as chief justice of the U.S. Supreme Court. And just 19% know that David Cameron is the new prime minister of Great Britain.

A large majority of Americans (73%) know that Congress did pass a major health care reform bill this year. Though health care dominated the public’s news interest most weeks during the lengthy debate over the legislation, 14% say Congress did not pass health care legislation this year and 13% do not know.

Fewer than three-in-ten (28%) correctly identified Roberts as the chief justice of the Supreme Court. More than half (53%) do not know, while small percentages choose other options: former Justice Thurgood Marshall (8%), former Justice John Paul Stevens (6%) and Sen. Majority Leader Harry Reid (4%).

$picard-facepalm.jpg

It's good to know I'm among the 34 percent.

Or among the 28% that know John Roberts is the Chief Justice. Plus, the 19% that know David Cameron is the PM of England.

i had to tell truthmatters a few months ago that TARP was signed by bush, she actually claimed it was obama's idea and he signed it and of course she gave him all the credit for it, when i told it was bush, she was dumbfounded :lol:

Curious what percentage of the American People know what party Cameron is affiliated with.

Probably a bit lower than 19%. I figure if you bother to know who the PM, most people in that category know the party. :lol:

He certainly isn't like a Conservative here to say the least.

Bert's stats confirm what I have long known, the average American is an idiot. Seen a survey once, don't remember where, that showed that only 60% of adults knew that Washington DC was not in the state of Washington, now how do you graduate HS being that stupid?

Republicans don't believe PEW Research. It was PEW who said only 6% of scientists are Republican and only 9% of scientists consider themselves "conservative".

Republicans want ti both ways. They want to insist that many scientists are Republican even while calling scientists lazy, sitting on government handouts, liars, have a lack of "common sense", overrated.

No Republican would ever admit they depend solely on Democrats for everything. A Republican can't even wipe his ass without getting genetically modified toilet paper from a Democrat.

Republicans don't believe PEW Research. It was PEW who said only 6% of scientists are Republican and only 9% of scientists consider themselves "conservative".

Republicans want ti both ways. They want to insist that many scientists are Republican even while calling scientists lazy, sitting on government handouts, liars, have a lack of "common sense", overrated.

No Republican would ever admit they depend solely on Democrats for everything. A Republican can't even wipe his ass without getting genetically modified toilet paper from a Democrat.

You still haven't accepted that Democrats are more likely than Republicans to believe that Jesus will return by 2050, at least according to your favorite research group, PEW. You tried to say it was because they didn't call cell phones, if I recall your reasoning correctly. (And I do)

Last edited:

Forum List

Back