Pets and the Heat

I had a neighbor one time. I lived in the back house. He and his 500 lbs wife lived in front. They had the meanest dog in the whole world. Mean dogs don't stop me. They are mean because all they got was cruelty.
One day, it was sooooo cold. So cold. That dog stayed chained in the back yard near their back door so they could toss out scraps. Anyone go near it he didn't know, he would literally try to kill.
So..being me....I was sneaking him stuff. Food, chews. Stuffed animals. Of course I didn't approach him. I had a long handled pole. He would growl and spit at me and that chain was so heavy I was amazed he could even raise his head.
Anyway, the day it was cold...I had my pole. And I had a blanket. That dog had no house. He was under their awning to keep the sun off fatass wife when she waddled out there to do whatever she did. I took that pole, folded that blanket the best I could, shoved it to the dog. As usual he wanted to tear my throat out. But I got it close enough to where it was on the cement patio (which was probably like ice). That dog shivered so much I don't know if it was from the cold or from hate and anger at me. I pushed it to him anyway. He tore it almost in shreds..probably thinking it my throat or legs. To my amazement, when he was done pretending it was flesh and bone, he nosed it into a nice little pile and laid on it. The look he gave me was.....priceless.
A few weeks later after me shoving more stuff to him....he slowly began to not growl.

Owners of the dog came to my door, said it was ok to do what I was doing, but never get too close. He was trained to kill. Their guard dog. Um. Ok. I nodded. But I was bound and determined to get close some day.

One day...they informed me they were going away for the weekend. Dog would protect back door..could I keep watch in front? No problem, says I. And I wait.
They leave. I sneak back out there. talking soft. Doggy biscuit in my hand. I am just beyond the chain. I sit. Show him the biscuit. No pole this time. And I wait. He little by little sneaks to me. Gently reaches out his teeth filled mouth, takes it. Dare I? Yes. I dare. I hold my hand out to show nothing is in it. He raises head to meet my open hand, palm down. He is saying ok. Touch my head. So I do.

Broke my heart. Literally. But no law against keeping a dog outside in heat or extreme cold. Long as he has a cover (the patio awning) and food (scraps fed daily), no laws are broke.

We had to move eventually. The night we left..I snuck out there and unchained him and whispered in his ear RUN!!!! And he did.

Just got negged by grace for pointing out how stupid it was of her to turn a dog that was vicious by her own admission. I negged her back, but she is a cowardly old bag because she has her rep turned off.

My rep is not turned off. I still get whammed up or down. Only thing that doesn't show is those dumb medal thingies. They take up space.

Coward, I am not, bubba. But yeah...it probably was dumb to set that dog free. I was just turning 20 years old when this happened. I was thinking with my heart..not my head. If I could do it all over again, I would have taken the dog with me. Don't know how, since it would have probably not hurt me, but it would have hurt my husband and my own dogs and cats. But I woulda thought of something, I'm sure.

Can't turn back time. I just hope it ran off in the woods and found a mate and lived happily ever after. Free.

I had a neighbor one time. I lived in the back house. He and his 500 lbs wife lived in front. They had the meanest dog in the whole world. Mean dogs don't stop me. They are mean because all they got was cruelty.
One day, it was sooooo cold. So cold. That dog stayed chained in the back yard near their back door so they could toss out scraps. Anyone go near it he didn't know, he would literally try to kill.
So..being me....I was sneaking him stuff. Food, chews. Stuffed animals. Of course I didn't approach him. I had a long handled pole. He would growl and spit at me and that chain was so heavy I was amazed he could even raise his head.
Anyway, the day it was cold...I had my pole. And I had a blanket. That dog had no house. He was under their awning to keep the sun off fatass wife when she waddled out there to do whatever she did. I took that pole, folded that blanket the best I could, shoved it to the dog. As usual he wanted to tear my throat out. But I got it close enough to where it was on the cement patio (which was probably like ice). That dog shivered so much I don't know if it was from the cold or from hate and anger at me. I pushed it to him anyway. He tore it almost in shreds..probably thinking it my throat or legs. To my amazement, when he was done pretending it was flesh and bone, he nosed it into a nice little pile and laid on it. The look he gave me was.....priceless.
A few weeks later after me shoving more stuff to him....he slowly began to not growl.

Owners of the dog came to my door, said it was ok to do what I was doing, but never get too close. He was trained to kill. Their guard dog. Um. Ok. I nodded. But I was bound and determined to get close some day.

One day...they informed me they were going away for the weekend. Dog would protect back door..could I keep watch in front? No problem, says I. And I wait.
They leave. I sneak back out there. talking soft. Doggy biscuit in my hand. I am just beyond the chain. I sit. Show him the biscuit. No pole this time. And I wait. He little by little sneaks to me. Gently reaches out his teeth filled mouth, takes it. Dare I? Yes. I dare. I hold my hand out to show nothing is in it. He raises head to meet my open hand, palm down. He is saying ok. Touch my head. So I do.

Broke my heart. Literally. But no law against keeping a dog outside in heat or extreme cold. Long as he has a cover (the patio awning) and food (scraps fed daily), no laws are broke.

We had to move eventually. The night we left..I snuck out there and unchained him and whispered in his ear RUN!!!! And he did.

Just got negged by grace for pointing out how stupid it was of her to turn a dog that was vicious by her own admission. I negged her back, but she is a cowardly old bag because she has her rep turned off.

My rep is not turned off. I still get whammed up or down. Only thing that doesn't show is those dumb medal thingies. They take up space.

Coward, I am not, bubba. But yeah...it probably was dumb to set that dog free. I was just turning 20 years old when this happened. I was thinking with my heart..not my head. If I could do it all over again, I would have taken the dog with me. Don't know how, since it would have probably not hurt me, but it would have hurt my husband and my own dogs and cats. But I woulda thought of something, I'm sure.

Can't turn back time. I just hope it ran off in the woods and found a mate and lived happily ever after. Free.

I thought it was turned off. Public apologies. I hope so to. I dont know where you are in Cali, but I lived in Auburn and the pound there was nothing more then a concentration camp for animals.

I bet even if the dog died the next day, or week, it enjoyed it's freedom for a little while at least, and was happy to be free instead of chained up.

I'm one who HATES to see animals chained up all day and night......why do people even GET pets if that's what they are going to do to them? :confused:

I thought it was turned off. Public apologies. I hope so to. I dont know where you are in Cali, but I lived in Auburn and the pound there was nothing more then a concentration camp for animals.
Auburn is beautiful and visited once.
I am on the central coast right now. been here 26 years. Came from the valley though. Bakersfield. That's where the dog was in question. Very cold in the winter even though no snow. Very hot and horrible in the summer.
I hate the pound. Someday, before I kick of old cow age, I plan to go on a midnight raid and free every dog in the local dog pound. Just for funzies.:tongue:

I live down here in Florida.

My 4 dogs outside in that heat??? No way.

My babies are inside with me. They go out for a business call when I get home from work. They also go out after the sun goes down for some playtime. Helps to have a big fenced in yard.

Of course the horse has to stay outside. LOL

If I know Daisy (and I think I do) she has already had her breakfast and is heading back to either the bed, her bed, the Love Seat in the living room or the leather arm chair in my office at Pimplebutt. She is lapping up the air conditioning, sitting on the bay window sill in the living room and barking at anyone foolish enough to walk in front of her view in this heat.

I just finished inspecting a building with an attic. I envy my dog.

5 out of 6 are simply declining going outside...tiff is laying on the deck....looking dead...they have clean cold water which i will ate ice too as it gets hotter

Oh, another gripe!

Last night on the news they put a thermometer in a car, and closed the door and cracked the windows, like you would do if you had a pet in the car. (People take them on errands to the store and such)

According to various studies, the seating area of a car (even with the windows open) can heat up to over 100 degrees in 15 minutes when it's 85 degrees outside. Dogs don't cool themselves as efficiently as people, and are more prone to heat stroke. In some states, and in some communities, leaving animals inside hot cars is illegal.

Heat stroke can quickly kill a pet trapped in a hot car - fox59.com

i would never take my dogs anywhere in this heat.....
I get frustratingly compelling looks from Daisy as soon as I get back home after work. She gets tied to her lead in the front yard for ten minutes or so and is FORCED by an obstinate owner to wait until dusk before taking her daily walk. In spite of the fact she is a miniature poodle and covered with a thick, well groomed coat of lambish curls, she shrugs off heat like a Clydesdale shrugs off flies.

Forum List

Back