Pets and the Heat

random3434

Jun 29, 2008
As I sit in my air conditioned house, with my 2 cats and one kitten, while it's 97 degrees and humid outside, I realize there are many pets outside in this heat.

Their owners may be at work, or just keep them outside.

Do you think this is right? Is it too hot for animals to be outside in these conditions for a long period of time?

What about when it's 10 below out, same thing?

Grrrrrrrrrrrr.
Too many people get dogs...then buy them a dog house, chain them up, forget about them. The dog is doomed forever to be in one little space, wagging its tail, hoping for attention only to be ignored until it is feeding time.
So in answer to your question...no. It isnt right. I'd like to shoot dead anyone that has a dog and chained them up.

As I sit in my air conditioned house, with my 2 cats and one kitten, while it's 97 degrees and humid outside, I realize there are many pets outside in this heat.

Do you think this is right? Is it too hot for animals to be outside in these conditions for a long period of time?

I think it depends on what they are used to. We have many, many days of 95+ heat and 99% humidity and no one puts their pets indoors for it.

In my county, you have to have a place for the pet to "escape" to. That means plenty of water and shade for the animal to escape to. When I had my dog, I had a plastic kids pool and a big Galvanized water trough for him to swim in and drink from. he also had a doggie door.

Grrrrrrrrrrrr.
Too many people get dogs...then buy them a dog house, chain them up, forget about them. The dog is doomed forever to be in one little space, wagging its tail, hoping for attention only to be ignored until it is feeding time.
So in answer to your question...no. It isnt right. I'd like to shoot dead anyone that has a dog and chained them up.

It is also against the law to have dogs on a tether in my county.

My pets - All 25,000 or so of them - Are enjoying a total of 20.5 tons of A/C. :cool:

(An average whole-house system is about 3.5-5 ton if you're unfamiliar. :))

I had a neighbor one time. I lived in the back house. He and his 500 lbs wife lived in front. They had the meanest dog in the whole world. Mean dogs don't stop me. They are mean because all they got was cruelty.
One day, it was sooooo cold. So cold. That dog stayed chained in the back yard near their back door so they could toss out scraps. Anyone go near it he didn't know, he would literally try to kill.
So..being me....I was sneaking him stuff. Food, chews. Stuffed animals. Of course I didn't approach him. I had a long handled pole. He would growl and spit at me and that chain was so heavy I was amazed he could even raise his head.
Anyway, the day it was cold...I had my pole. And I had a blanket. That dog had no house. He was under their awning to keep the sun off fatass wife when she waddled out there to do whatever she did. I took that pole, folded that blanket the best I could, shoved it to the dog. As usual he wanted to tear my throat out. But I got it close enough to where it was on the cement patio (which was probably like ice). That dog shivered so much I don't know if it was from the cold or from hate and anger at me. I pushed it to him anyway. He tore it almost in shreds..probably thinking it my throat or legs. To my amazement, when he was done pretending it was flesh and bone, he nosed it into a nice little pile and laid on it. The look he gave me was.....priceless.
A few weeks later after me shoving more stuff to him....he slowly began to not growl.

Owners of the dog came to my door, said it was ok to do what I was doing, but never get too close. He was trained to kill. Their guard dog. Um. Ok. I nodded. But I was bound and determined to get close some day.

One day...they informed me they were going away for the weekend. Dog would protect back door..could I keep watch in front? No problem, says I. And I wait.
They leave. I sneak back out there. talking soft. Doggy biscuit in my hand. I am just beyond the chain. I sit. Show him the biscuit. No pole this time. And I wait. He little by little sneaks to me. Gently reaches out his teeth filled mouth, takes it. Dare I? Yes. I dare. I hold my hand out to show nothing is in it. He raises head to meet my open hand, palm down. He is saying ok. Touch my head. So I do.

Broke my heart. Literally. But no law against keeping a dog outside in heat or extreme cold. Long as he has a cover (the patio awning) and food (scraps fed daily), no laws are broke.

We had to move eventually. The night we left..I snuck out there and unchained him and whispered in his ear RUN!!!! And he did.

And now I will not return to this thread cuz it bummed me out thinking about it.

The end of the story, though, must be told. A few years later I was working that neighborhood for PG&E offering free window and door insulation. When i got there, fatass and husband still resided in the home. After signing them up for their freebies, I asked whatever happened to that mean ol dog they had? They said it got loose somehow and ran off. I smiled as I headed for my car.
Live and die free, I mumbled to myself.

Anyway...I'm off to toss the ball to my beloved fur children and will return to other threads. :)

I had a neighbor one time. I lived in the back house. He and his 500 lbs wife lived in front. They had the meanest dog in the whole world. Mean dogs don't stop me. They are mean because all they got was cruelty.
One day, it was sooooo cold. So cold. That dog stayed chained in the back yard near their back door so they could toss out scraps. Anyone go near it he didn't know, he would literally try to kill.
So..being me....I was sneaking him stuff. Food, chews. Stuffed animals. Of course I didn't approach him. I had a long handled pole. He would growl and spit at me and that chain was so heavy I was amazed he could even raise his head.
Anyway, the day it was cold...I had my pole. And I had a blanket. That dog had no house. He was under their awning to keep the sun off fatass wife when she waddled out there to do whatever she did. I took that pole, folded that blanket the best I could, shoved it to the dog. As usual he wanted to tear my throat out. But I got it close enough to where it was on the cement patio (which was probably like ice). That dog shivered so much I don't know if it was from the cold or from hate and anger at me. I pushed it to him anyway. He tore it almost in shreds..probably thinking it my throat or legs. To my amazement, when he was done pretending it was flesh and bone, he nosed it into a nice little pile and laid on it. The look he gave me was.....priceless.
A few weeks later after me shoving more stuff to him....he slowly began to not growl.

Owners of the dog came to my door, said it was ok to do what I was doing, but never get too close. He was trained to kill. Their guard dog. Um. Ok. I nodded. But I was bound and determined to get close some day.

One day...they informed me they were going away for the weekend. Dog would protect back door..could I keep watch in front? No problem, says I. And I wait.
They leave. I sneak back out there. talking soft. Doggy biscuit in my hand. I am just beyond the chain. I sit. Show him the biscuit. No pole this time. And I wait. He little by little sneaks to me. Gently reaches out his teeth filled mouth, takes it. Dare I? Yes. I dare. I hold my hand out to show nothing is in it. He raises head to meet my open hand, palm down. He is saying ok. Touch my head. So I do.

Broke my heart. Literally. But no law against keeping a dog outside in heat or extreme cold. Long as he has a cover (the patio awning) and food (scraps fed daily), no laws are broke.

We had to move eventually. The night we left..I snuck out there and unchained him and whispered in his ear RUN!!!! And he did.

And go maul some kid and be shot, or get picked up by animal control and killed there. Real smart, real humane. No better then fat ass throwing scraps out the door.

Last edited:

My pets - All 25,000 or so of them - Are enjoying a total of 20.5 tons of A/C. :cool:

You in the poultry business?

Just got negged by grace for pointing out how stupid it was of her to turn a dog that was vicious by her own admission. I negged her back, but she is a cowardly old bag because she has her rep turned off.

Grrrrrrrrrrrr.

m1-46.gif

Crabs?

BTW- our cat and dog have puked a couple times over the past few days. The dog is mostly inside, cat is in/out. We figure it's the heat.

Grrrrrrrrrrrr.

m1-46.gif

Crabs?

BTW- our cat and dog have puked a couple times over the past few days. The dog is mostly inside, cat is in/out. We figure it's the heat.

It can be hard on them. When I could, I would bring my dog to work with me. I would keep a big jug of water in the fridge for him. Cats seem to handle heat better then dogs. I think they are more resourceful in dealing with it then dogs are.

I have 4 cats.....4!!!!!! (I love my wife. I love my wife)... and I am in Arizona. Its 110 out right now. I dont know how cats or dogs for that matter can survive but they do. My cat loving wife feeds a couple of cats in our back yard every day and they have been coming around for a couple years now. Somehow they do survive. What is annoying to me is when idiot owners leave their pets in cars here. That is freaking inhumane. You hear stories all the time about that and I just dont get it. It really ...reallly gets hot in cars here in the middle of the day, but those moron owners feel its fine to leave the pets in the cars for a "few minutes".

Last edited:

It never really gets that hot here for any period of time.... But when it does get hot i put my cats under the faucet and soak them to keep them cool.

A really really big mexican drop house? :cool:

You in the poultry business?

Hayull no. Small animals, rabbits and everything smaller. Mammals only. Birds make me vomit. :puke3:

Our big ticket below... Hence the nic and avy... We have more than a few. :)

Attachments

• $Gpigs.JPG
    $Gpigs.JPG
    109.4 KB · Views: 69
  • $Gpig_room.JPG
    $Gpig_room.JPG
    88.4 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Grrrrrrrrrrrr.

Here! Here!
I hate seeing this also, especially when someone in an urban area buys a large dog that is meant to have expansive territory...on a f*cking 10' chain in a far corner in the back yard.
What is up with that? Do some people enjoy looking out the back door occasionally and look at a tortured animal?
Idiots...pure idiots.

I'm in tropical Minneapolis (97 w/110 heat index) and we have a 20 year old cat who camps out by one of the vents in the Sun Room, that way she stays cool while catching her rays.
I let the dog out to do "his thing" and he jumps off from the decks stairs and man is he quick! I swear he's doing "his thing" while he's airborne, because once he hits the ground, he's instantly leaping back onto the deck.:cool:

Last edited:

A really really big mexican drop house? :cool:

It was a good comment until the political stuff. There is also the damage they do to the yard and buildings to. Even having them on a runner is no good.

Forum List

Back