Petreus is out of line

Here's the deal? Patreus is OUT OF LINE.

This preist in Gainesville Florida is quite within his bounds to do as he likes.

It's his Constutional RIGHT. Now whether or not he get traction or it will relegate himself to obscurity is the result of him exercising his right.

That is for the receivers of his message to decide.

But THAT is the price to live in a free society...where a jackass can exercise their right to be just that.

If it inflames those overseas that do NOT have nor can exercise such rights?

Perhaps they should rexamine where they live?

The Troops are already UNDER duress by being AT WAR with folks that don't have the luxury to exercise what this preist is doing.

Then it seems to me that those over there watching have a very crucial exercise before them...

LIBERTY...[An ALL OR NOTHING proposition] or a life of slavery under something they practice NOW that is a terrible one-way street that cannot and WILL NOT afford them to do what this Jackass preist in Florida is doing.

General Patreus IS out of line. He is Defying the Constitution and precisely the First Amendment. And should be CHASTISED by command for speaking out of turn

Now General P? I Like you...Don't SCREW IT UP.

Is he going to lead by example...or become PART of what he is supposedly fighting over there just merely for Political reasons.

General? WAKE UP.

~SSGT *T*...

So I'm curious. Do you support the protests and disgusting signage by the Westboro Baptist Church members at funerals of our fallen soldiers and Marines? After all, aren't they simply exercising their First Amendment rights?

Supporting or not supporting has nothing to do with one's first amendment rights.

I do not support what the WBC memebers do, but I do not try to stop them against their will.
I do not support flag burners, but I do not try to stop them against their will.
I do not support the building of the Community Center/ Mosque in lower manhattan, but I will not try to stop them against their will.
Patreus does not support the burning of the Qaran, but he, in no way, tried to stop it against the will of the burners.

When will you folks get off the whole "just becuase I do not support something, it implies that I do not feel they have the right" thing...

Jeez.....Dont I have the first ammendment right to denounce an action; express my distaste for an action...without me being told I am against someone elses first ammendment right?

Or do I NOT have a first ammendment right?

Roughly a half-dozen posters (or at least unique accounts) have argued that the pastor doesn't have the right to burn the Koran. That to do so constitutes sedition and/or treason and is therefore illegal. Yes, they are all retarded, but they've been arguing this just the same.

"Hearts & Minds" is a fantasy. We are occupiers. Until this changes,we're never going to win their "Hearts & Minds." The Taliban has a lot of support in Afghanistan & Pakistan. This is the reality. You're never going to win all the "Hearts & Minds." It just isn't possible. Lets face it,if we haven't won the "Hearts & Minds" by now,it ain't ever gonna happen. Burn or don't burn Korans,it just doesn't matter. We don't belong over there. It's time to come home.

So I'm curious. Do you support the protests and disgusting signage by the Westboro Baptist Church members at funerals of our fallen soldiers and Marines? After all, aren't they simply exercising their First Amendment rights?

Supporting or not supporting has nothing to do with one's first amendment rights.

I do not support what the WBC memebers do, but I do not try to stop them against their will.
I do not support flag burners, but I do not try to stop them against their will.
I do not support the building of the Community Center/ Mosque in lower manhattan, but I will not try to stop them against their will.
Patreus does not support the burning of the Qaran, but he, in no way, tried to stop it against the will of the burners.

When will you folks get off the whole "just becuase I do not support something, it implies that I do not feel they have the right" thing...

Jeez.....Dont I have the first ammendment right to denounce an action; express my distaste for an action...without me being told I am against someone elses first ammendment right?

Roughly a half-dozen posters (or at least unique accounts) have argued that the pastor doesn't have the right to burn the Koran. That to do so constitutes sedition and/or treason and is therefore illegal. Yes, they are all retarded, but they've been arguing this just the same.

Sedition? In a country where there is a well defined separation of church and state? Treason? Again, in a country where there is a well defined separation of church and state?

Or are we becoming a country where it is considered treason if you disagree with the sentiments of Government officials.

Jeez....people on this board are either quite naive or so hell bent on debating , they will argue something even if they agree with their opponent.

Upon further consideration I am changing my opinion about what Patraeus said.

I don't think he was out of line. I think he was stupid.

That to do so constitutes sedition and/or treason and is therefore illegal.

you think that because you are stupid. I can't speak for anybody else but I am pretty damned sure that I didn't say that this event constitutes sedition.

I said that sedition is a common limitation of our free speech enacted with most of our wars.

But nuance and bible beaters don't mix.

On the other hand this event does constitute a hate crime and is illegal on that basis. IMO

If we stayed in Afghanistan & Iraq for a 100 more years,our Generals would still be whining about winning those "Hearts & Minds." It just aint gonna happen. It's all just Blah Blah Blah at this point. It's time to wrap up the Wars in Afghanistan & Iraq. There is nothing more we can do in these countries. It's time for Americans to accept this.

you think that because you are stupid. I can't speak for anybody else but I am pretty damned sure that I didn't say that this event constitutes sedition.

I said that sedition is a common limitation of our free speech enacted with most of our wars.

On the other hand this event does constitute a hate crime and is illegal on that basis. IMO

I guess you must have MaggieMae on ignore.

Can't say I blame you. :thup:

Here's the deal? Patreus is OUT OF LINE.

This preist in Gainesville Florida is quite within his bounds to do as he likes.

It's his Constutional RIGHT. Now whether or not he get traction or it will relegate himself to obscurity is the result of him exercising his right.

That is for the receivers of his message to decide.

But THAT is the price to live in a free society...where a jackass can exercise their right to be just that.

If it inflames those overseas that do NOT have nor can exercise such rights?

Perhaps they should rexamine where they live?

The Troops are already UNDER duress by being AT WAR with folks that don't have the luxury to exercise what this preist is doing.

Then it seems to me that those over there watching have a very crucial exercise before them...

LIBERTY...[An ALL OR NOTHING proposition] or a life of slavery under something they practice NOW that is a terrible one-way street that cannot and WILL NOT afford them to do what this Jackass preist in Florida is doing.

General Patreus IS out of line. He is Defying the Constitution and precisely the First Amendment. And should be CHASTISED by command for speaking out of turn

Now General P? I Like you...Don't SCREW IT UP.

Is he going to lead by example...or become PART of what he is supposedly fighting over there just merely for Political reasons.

General? WAKE UP.

~SSGT *T*...

I think everyone here (almost everyone, as I recall) denounces the action. But some also believe Patreaus never should have opened his mouth. Others don't think burning a bunch of Qurans will upset peaceloving Muslims. And others (or the same) think so what if it does? Then along comes someone like The T who thinks Patreaus made his comment for political purposes, which is bullshit. He has a genuine concern, and since everything else since the attacks of 911 seem to be predicated on "national security," including making more enemies by burning their Qurans, I happen to be much more worried about THAT than I am some ignorant preacher's first amendment "rights," when in fact what he may accomplish is destroying the right to LIVE of some soldier who gets beheaded by an equally ignorant Muslim extemist. Get it?

OMG! Some kooks in back-water nowhere U.S.A. are burning some Korans! All is lost!!...Seriously,if the U.S. General in charge of the War in Afghanistan is panicking over this non-issue,the Afghan War is likely lost. If you haven't won those "Hearts & Minds" after all these years,it is time to wrap it up and come home. If a couple of kooks burning Korans here in the U.S. is going to sway Afghans to support the Taliban and kill Americans,i would have to say that thing is over. Our General shouldn't be panicking over this. It's actually kind of embarrassing.

Is there an echo in here?

Sedition? In a country where there is a well defined separation of church and state? Treason? Again, in a country where there is a well defined separation of church and state?

Or are we becoming a country where it is considered treason if you disagree with the sentiments of Government officials.

Jeez....people on this board are either quite naive or so hell bent on debating , they will argue something even if they agree with their opponent.

I don't recall anyone mentioning sedition/treason. Manifold is full of shit, as usual.

I guess you must have MaggieMae on ignore.

Can't say I blame you. :thup:

Direct me to the post number where I mentioned treason or sedition, genius.

Forum List

Back