Petreus is out of line

G.T.

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2009
I mean, what is the guise our Red White and Blue fights under? Defending the Constitution?

I don't support the 9/11 burning of the Quran; however, opposing it on the grounds that it will create more Terrorists is an absolute contradiction to the Mission of our Armed forces.

Yes, it will put those who Volunteered to Defend the Constitution in presumably more danger. But these are the very hard-line ideals they're doing it for........The Freedom to think and express how you feel, no matter how distasteful or who doesn't like it. I think the General is out of line on this one.

I mean, what is the guise our Red White and Blue fights under? Defending the Constitution?

I don't support the 9/11 burning of the Quran; however, opposing it on the grounds that it will create more Terrorists is an absolute contradiction to the Mission of our Armed forces.

Yes, it will put those who Volunteered to Defend the Constitution in presumably more danger. But these are the very hard-line ideals they're doing it for........The Freedom to think and express how you feel, no matter how distasteful or who doesn't like it. I think the General is out of line on this one.

I find book burning distasteful. Sure they have the right, just as I have the right to call them unAmerican idiots.

an officer's ultimate obligation is to protect the men and women for whom he is responsible. i can't fault him for doing that, nor do i think he's out of line.

Last edited:
an officer's ultimate obligation is to protect the men and women for which he is responsible. i can't fault him for doing that, nor do i think he's out of line.

The Ultimate Obligation is to Defend the Constitution.

I don't want Americans to stop practicing their rights on account of Murderous Psychos. Do you?

I find book burning distasteful. Sure they have the right, just as I have the right to call them unAmerican idiots.

Sure.

Yea i think it's pretty pathetic and shows how bad things are going over there. To use some tiny back-water Church no one's ever heard of as some sort of kiss-ass suck-up to the Afghans just shows how desperate things have become over there. Doesn't he have bigger things to worry about over there? Why make this non-story such a big story? Desperate times can be the only explanation. I don't agree with burning Korans but for Petraeus to make such a big deal out of it really is pretty sad. We are now losing Afghanistan. This is pretty clear.

I don't think we're losing Afghanistan, and I don't think that's "clear" at all.

an officer's ultimate obligation is to protect the men and women for which he is responsible. i can't fault him for doing that, nor do i think he's out of line.

I don't want Americans to stop practicing their rights on account of Murderous Psychos. Do you?

wrong

no, i don't.

Neither do I, hence the thread and my opinion of what was said.

gt i am almost shocked to hear this from you. you know what pouring salt in the wound is. they will show the images over and over again as feul for their fire. it's the same premis as closing guantanamo, which as it turned out was a bad idea. i don't think intellegent people would show up for koran-burn. it's self serving to preacher jones. it's not the american way to persecute. pull it together will you...

gt i am almost shocked to hear this from you. you know what pouring salt in the wound is. they will show the images over and over again as feul for their fire. it's the same premis as closing guantanamo, which as it turned out was a bad idea. i don't think intellegent people would show up for koran-burn. it's self serving to preacher jones. it's not the american way to persecute. pull it together will you...

I don't think that however distasteful I find it has anything at all to do with their Right to do it.

Here's an aside: I think that talk-radio guys are stirring up rage and emotion also, and doing-so knowingly for effect and mo' money. However distasteful I find thaT to be, I support their right to do so.

This is one of the basic fundamental reasons that I like my Country. I'm not going to stop supporting it because some psycho scumbag might blow the mall up when I'm shopping for kicks one day. To live in fear is not to live.

He shouldn't have commented on it. He refused to comment on the Mosque on Ground Zero issue and he should have done the same on this. If a couple of kooks burning some Korans in some tiny Church no one's ever heard of influences the War in Afghanistan then that War is lost for sure. The guy in charge over there shouldn't have even commented on this stupid issue. He's helped make it a bigger deal than it actually is. If these few kooks can hurt soldiers over there,it's time to come home. That thing is definitely over.

I can't imagine that the actions of some attention-seeking 'Christian' church will really have an effect on Afghanistan. It was merely a PR moment for Petreus and is a member in good standing of 'Team Obama'.

A couple of silly loons burning Korans is going to help lose the Afghan War for us? Man,you know things are f*cked up over there if the actual man in charge over there is whining about this kind of insignificant non-issue. I stand by my belief that we are now losing Afghanistan.

I did not read what Petreus said exactly. I know that he said that burning the Koran puts the lives of the soldiers in the Middle East more at risk. Did he make any kind of statement about whether or not the church should be allowed to burn the Koran or did he just state that doing so was not good for the war effort?

Personally, I have no problem with him making a statement that burning the Koran makes life harder for the troops. I am opposed to the burning myself, but believe the church has a right to be stupid and unamerican if it so chooses. I must say if I had been a member of that church, I would not be one today.

The church has every right to burn Korans. However, if they are trying to win people to Christ (isn't that supposed to be the mission of every church?) I think that they are going about this the wrong way.

Immie

• Thanks
Reactions: del

I did not read what Petreus said exactly. I know that he said that burning the Koran puts the lives of the soldiers in the Middle East more at risk. Did he make any kind of statement about whether or not the church should be allowed to burn the Koran or did he just state that doing so was not good for the war effort?

Personally, I have no problem with him making a statement that burning the Koran makes life harder for the troops. I am opposed to the burning myself, but believe the church has a right to be stupid and unamerican if it so chooses. I must say if I had been a member of that church, I would not be one today.

The church has every right to burn Korans. However, if they are trying to win people to Christ (isn't that supposed to be the mission of every church?) I think that they are going about this the wrong way.

Immie

He advised it would hurt the war efforts..........and in my opinion, him saying that (in and of itself) hurt the war efforts. (get what I mean?).

If America fights for freedom, it shouldn't be fearful of oppression.

It might be the easy conclusion to draw. It certainly fits the template of an American citizen with a (excuse me but it's true) George W. Bush-like world view. A narrow, inexperienced, border-line xenophobic world view.

I suggest that Gen. Petreus has done his homework, has been immersed in the culture of that part of the world and thoroughly understands what makes his enemy tick.

Thump your chest all you want about the constitution. We are at war for the safety of our nation and the hearts and minds of those who would commit evil crimes against us and their fellow man. Gen. Petreus has a difficult job to do.

Now, about this constitution so many conservatives want to hold in violate. Let me ask this: why are Conservative politicians and posters on this board so vehement about defending the constitution, preserving the constitution and honoring whatever they think is the original intent of the constitution all while wanting to rewrite it to serve the politics du jour?

How's that 14th amendment look? How about the effort to repeal the 17th amendment? And how much do you honor the first amendment whenever you demand a house of worship should not be built where those who fund that house of worship want to build it?

But, a call to ban plastic handguns or cop killer bullets and those same brave Conservatives scream about an impending constitutional crisis over the second amendment.

Sure. The constitution and originalists will proudly proclaim their love of the document. Except for a few pesky parts.

So you're saying that Patreus (who actually risks his life to defend our nation) is not entitled to speak freely?

Fuck that, GT. He has earned the right - far more than most of us have.

the problem folks is the MSM will see to it, this will be NEWS, you will see it on every channel, andfor a while. Its tailor made for them, it will validate their all religious people are nuts outlook.

Just like the danish cartoons etc. ,nothing today occurs in a vacuum, especially a media one, this will be inflated, worldwide and I have say, becasue of that fact, yes to an extent it could harm our general cause in Afghanistan. ..my 2 cents. ( I think the cause is lost and have for a while but hey)...

Immie

He advised it would hurt the war efforts..........and in my opinion, him saying that (in and of itself) hurt the war efforts. (get what I mean?).

If America fights for freedom, it shouldn't be fearful of oppression.

Yes, I understand what you meant, but I don't really agree with you on that. As long as he did not state that the government should prevent the church from burning Korans, I don't think his statements make a whole hell of a lot of difference one way or the other. I would disagree with him if he stated that he felt the government should interfere.

I think that the church has the right to do this if they want, but this is not the right thing to do and I have to say that I agree that it will likely piss some Muslims off and make things somewhat worse for our soldiers. Rubbing your opponent's nose in dog shit is not the best way to bring about an end to a fight.

Immie

Forum List

Back