Petraeus Says Quran Burning Endangers War Effort

Political Junky

Gold Member
May 27, 2009
Petraeus Says Quran Burning Endangers War Effort - WSJ.com
:clap2:

KABUL—The Quran burning by a Florida church, which sparked three days of deadly rioting in Afghanistan, poses new dangers for the U.S.-led war effort against the Taliban, coalition commander U.S. Gen. David Petraeus warned in an interview.

Gen. Petraeus, who commands some 150,000 U.S. and allied troops here, spoke after Afghan rioters angered by reports of the sacrilege sacked the United Nations compound in the city of Mazar-e-Sharif, killing seven foreigners, and went on a lethal rampage in the southern city of Kandahar, waving Taliban flags.

The deadly rioting, which the Taliban say erupted spontaneously, has shocked the international community and highlighted the vulnerability of the embattled Afghan government. Urban mob violence against Western targets adds a disturbing new threat in a country that is fighting a mostly rural insurgency, and where foreign and local security forces are ill-prepared for riot control.

"Every security force leader's worst nightmare is being confronted by essentially a mob, if you will, especially one that can be influenced by individuals that want to incite violence, who want to try to hijack passions, in this case, perhaps understandable passions," Gen. Petraeus said in the Sunday interview. "Obviously it's an additional serious security challenge in a country that faces considerable security challenges."
<more>

Everything endangers the war effort. You think maybe it's time to stop the 'war effort'? It's even worse than the 'war on drugs'.

Everything endangers the war effort. You think maybe it's time to stop the 'war effort'? It's even worse than the 'war on drugs'.
If they don't believe in freedom of speech or freedom of religion maybe we shouldn't even be there.

I agree with your sentiment, but comparing those two is like asking if the Devil or Satan is worse...

Burning the Koran is providing aid and comfort to our enemy. It offers the leaders of the Islamic extreme a powerful talking point and a tool for the recruitment of fighters and suicide bombers. Doing so was a stupid stunt which has put lives at risk and is directly responsible for the deaths of 12 UN's workers.

Look, if these people are so fucked up that some nutter in a foreign land burning their koran sends them into a murderous rampage, then I have little faith there's much sense wasting anything further on such a futile effort.

Burning the Koran is providing aid and comfort to our enemy. It offers the leaders of the Islamic extreme a powerful talking point and a tool for the recruitment of fighters and suicide bombers. Doing so was a stupid stunt which has put lives at risk and is directly responsible for the deaths of 12 UN's workers.

If burning the Koran is providing aid and comfort to our enemy, then so is delivering actual aid and supplies to them. Since Boxer and Code Pink have not been charged with that actual treason, I see your comparison as pathetic as a legitimate argument. You don't get it both ways, little man.

This is just plain stupid.

Anything short of conversion to Islam incites these crazy fucks to go on a rampage.

Last edited:

We've got troops and bases in their countries, we ally and support ruthless authoritarian governments who oppress the people. We buy their oil to fund the governments and sell them weapons to oppress the people. But the problem is some American schmucks who burn the Koran. Got it, you learn something every day.

I do have a question though. If people aren't free to do moronic things, including burning the Koran, what are we fighting for exactly? I thought in the end what we believe in is liberty. What are you think we're fighting for?

Petraeus Says Quran Burning Endangers War Effort - WSJ.com
:clap2:

KABUL—The Quran burning by a Florida church, which sparked three days of deadly rioting in Afghanistan, poses new dangers for the U.S.-led war effort against the Taliban, coalition commander U.S. Gen. David Petraeus warned in an interview.

Gen. Petraeus, who commands some 150,000 U.S. and allied troops here, spoke after Afghan rioters angered by reports of the sacrilege sacked the United Nations compound in the city of Mazar-e-Sharif, killing seven foreigners, and went on a lethal rampage in the southern city of Kandahar, waving Taliban flags.

The deadly rioting, which the Taliban say erupted spontaneously, has shocked the international community and highlighted the vulnerability of the embattled Afghan government. Urban mob violence against Western targets adds a disturbing new threat in a country that is fighting a mostly rural insurgency, and where foreign and local security forces are ill-prepared for riot control.

"Every security force leader's worst nightmare is being confronted by essentially a mob, if you will, especially one that can be influenced by individuals that want to incite violence, who want to try to hijack passions, in this case, perhaps understandable passions," Gen. Petraeus said in the Sunday interview. "Obviously it's an additional serious security challenge in a country that faces considerable security challenges."
<more>

Last I checked the US is civilian run and controlled by A) the Constitution of the US and the Individual States and B) the applicable laws of the land. As far as I know NO law exists that precludes someone from burning a Koran. Or perhaps you can point us to one?

Maybe you can explain why you support an Army General now when you did not in Iraq or before Obama and Koran burning?

If a Koran is publicly burned daily here, we'll be forced to pull out of Afghanistan sooner rather than later.
Just a thought.

If burning the Koran is providing aid and comfort to our enemy, then so is delivering actual aid and supplies to them. Since Boxer and Code Pink have not been charged with that actual treason, I see your comparison as pathetic as a legitimate argument. You don't get it both ways, little man.

I simply posted my opinion on the matter, one based on the reaction by a few extremists incited by the act of another extremist. In fact two points were made, one suggesting that the behavior benefits our enemy by providing them a recruiting tool. The other, that the act of burning the Koran incited others to act with violence, within the meaning of the Penal Code in the several states:

"(a) Every person who with the intent to cause a riot does an
act or engages in conduct that urges a riot, or urges others to
commit acts of force or violence, or the burning or destroying of
property, and at a time and place and under circumstances that
produce a clear and present and immediate danger of acts of force or
violence or the burning or destroying of property, is guilty of
incitement to riot."

The fact that your response is not relevent to my post or the issue, offers no evidence of any act by Sen. Boxer or Code Pink of engaging in treason, and felt the need to respond with a personal attack is both immature and nasty. A professional writer is held to a higher standard and a non sequitur + Red Herring post is amateurish. I'm sure you can do better.

What war effort? I thought we had already won all of those and installed democratic governments and such?

I simply posted my opinion on the matter, one based on the reaction by a few extremists incited by the act of another extremist. In fact two points were made, one suggesting that the behavior benefits our enemy by providing them a recruiting tool. The other, that the act of burning the Koran incited others to act with violence, within the meaning of the Penal Code in the several states:

incitement to riot."

The fact that your response is not relevent to my post or the issue, offers no evidence of any act by Sen. Boxer or Code Pink of engaging in treason, and felt the need to respond with a personal attack is both immature and nasty. A professional writer is held to a higher standard and a non sequitur + Red Herring post is amateurish. I'm sure you can do better.

Boxer and the CP bitches delivered actual aid to those engaging in war against our nation. That, little man, is treason. You want to talk 'treason', fine. Talk treason.... you accuse those of burning a book of treason... I'll accuse Boxer (a Democrat Senator) of the same. Real treason. Not some half assed, ill thought out opinion... but real, treason... in accordance with the actual wording of the definition. Boxer should be in prison. So should everyone who contributed to or assisted in the delivery of that actual aid to actual enemies of our actual nation.

Speaking of war effort.......

Would someone please tell Obama to close Gitmo and not attack muslim natiosns that are no threat to us. He's creating terrorists every day.

I did.

And it's pretty fucking hilarious for you to be mocking Obama for doing what you cheered Bush for doing.

That kind of makes you the hypocritical moron doesn't it?

incitement to riot."

Boxer and the CP bitches delivered actual aid to those engaging in war against our nation. That, little man, is treason. You want to talk 'treason', fine. Talk treason.... you accuse those of burning a book of treason... I'll accuse Boxer (a Democrat Senator) of the same. Real treason. Not some half assed, ill thought out opinion... but real, treason... in accordance with the actual wording of the definition. Boxer should be in prison. So should everyone who contributed to or assisted in the delivery of that actual aid to actual enemies of our actual nation.

Reagan authorized selling weapons to an avowed enemy of the USA in exchange for hostages.
So?

Speaking of war effort.......

Would someone please tell Obama to close Gitmo and not attack muslim natiosns that are no threat to us. He's creating terrorists every day.

I did.

And it's pretty fucking hilarious for you to be mocking Obama for doing what you cheered Bush for doing.

That kind of makes you the hypocritical moron doesn't it?

Now you know that is different, Bush was a republican after all.
:)

Forum List

Back