Petraeus Says Florida Church Koran Burning Threatens Troops

The Muslim radicals who politicize their cause will always find something to stir the pot over. If it's not the book burning, then it's the anti-mosque protest in New York, or it's the fact that the United States doesn't officially observe Ramadan, or it's the fact that Hollywood portrays Muslims as terrorists in the movie "Green Zone." It's gonna be something!

I'm surprised that General Petraeus commented on it one way or the other. The smart thing to do would have been to just ignore the whole issue because it really doesn't have any bearing on military operations. The Muslim militants will attack US troops because they are determined to do so. They don't need some wacko in Florida to inspire them. They will find some reason, any reason, to justify their attacks. Petraeus should be smart enough to know that.

It does have a bearing on military operations. The reason why he commented is because he is seeing an increase in hostility to American troops in Afghanistan directly. There is cause and effect. Yes, Muslim radicals will always want to attack us, but not every single Muslim extremist is going to attack at every single second. Everyone has a tipping point, and demonstrations of intolerant hostility - which is what these braindead rednecks burning Korans are doing - will push many more over the edge to think it is now worthy of risking their lives by trying to kill American troops.

While I don't agree with the book burning, I also don't agree that we should try to appease the radical Islamists'. Playing nice just does not work with radicals.

Ok, REMIND us how Islam is a religion of peace but burning a Koran is a direct threat to US troops?

Read what General Petraeus said in the OP.

I don't need to. His comments DIRECTLY oppose the very concept that Islam is a religion of peace. And you know it.

Maybe you should be aware that already 500 Afghan protesters gathered in Kabul today yelling "death to America" throwing stones at US convoys and reacting to messages from this priest to wipe Islam from the face of the earth.

There is no doubt that this FL protest may ignite a backlash among not only Afghanis and Pakis but the greater ME Muslim pop that threatens our troops and our mission.

So wake the fuck up and see what is already happening.

Everything isn't about YOU!

Last edited:
The top U.S. commander in Afghanistan said the planned burning of Qurans on Sept. 11 by a Florida church could put the lives of American troops in danger and damage the war effort.

Gen. David Petraeus said the Taliban would exploit the demonstration for propaganda purposes, drumming up anger toward the U.S. and making it harder for allied troops to carry out their mission of protecting Afghan civilians.

"It could endanger troops and it could endanger the overall effort," Gen. Petraeus said in an interview with The Wall Street Journal. "It is precisely the kind of action the Taliban uses and could cause significant problems. Not just here, but everywhere in the world we are engaged with the Islamic community."

Hundreds of Afghans attended a demonstration in Kabul on Monday to protest the plans of Florida pastor Terry Jones, who has said he will burn the Quran on Sept. 11.

Afghan protesters chanted "death to America" and speakers called on the U.S. to withdraw its military convoy. Some of the protesters threw rocks at a passing military convoy, although officials told the rock-throwers to stop.

Military officials fear the protests are likely to spread beyond Kabul to other Afghan cities. In interviews with various media outlets, Mr. Jones has denied his protest will put troops in danger. Mr. Jones has been denied a permit for the demonstration but has said he plans to go forward with the his protest anyway.

Mr. Jones leads a tiny church of just 50 people, but his threat to burn the Muslim holy book has been condemned around the world and has garnered him international attention.

Gen. Petraeus declined to elaborate on precisely what kinds of threats or violence could occur in the wake of such a demonstration. But westerners in Afghanistan have been warned away from restaurants and other public places as tensions arise over the matter.

Petraeus Condemns U.S. Church's Plan to Burn Qurans - WSJ.com

Who are you going to believe, General Petraeus or this dumbass pastor?

So where was he for Piss Christ? Or that blood one against Jews? Ohh wait, I forgot, Islam the religion of Peace KILLS people for offending them Jews and Christians do not.

or pearl harbor?

So where was he for Piss Christ? Or that blood one against Jews? Ohh wait, I forgot, Islam the religion of Peace KILLS people for offending them Jews and Christians do not.

Its just a guess but I imagine Piss Christ or that blood whatever against the Jews weren't threatening American troops under his command.

Ok, REMIND us how Islam is a religion of peace but burning a Koran is a direct threat to US troops?

RGS, you make the mistake of trying to equate Muslims and the places they come from with your own mores/morals/ethics. Yes, there is a huge number of Muslim MEN who are living in the 14th century and (IMO) uneducated, misoginists, however most Western men (and least overtly) are not like that..

So the moral of this story is if the 9/11 survivors and victims families posed a threat to US troops then the left would agree the Ground Zero Mosque should be moved to appease them.

Read what General Petraeus said in the OP.

I don't need to. His comments DIRECTLY oppose the very concept that Islam is a religion of peace. And you know it.

Maybe you should be aware that already 500 Afghan protesters gathered in Kabul today yelling "death to America" throwing stones at US convoys and reacting to messages from this priest to wipe Islam from the face of the earth.

There is no doubt that this FL protest may ignite a backlash among not only Afghanis and Pakis but the greater ME Muslim pop that threatens our troops and our mission.

Everything isn't about YOU!

Wait, let me get this right? The PEACEFUL religion of Islam may go up in flames across the globe because someone burns a Koran? Keep proving my point dumb ass.

You are proof that survival of the fittest is nothing but bullshit, because your attitude is about as anti survival as it is possible to get.

Yes, that's right. General Patraeus isn't about survival.

Well done. Good logic. Soundly reasoned.

I guess General Patraeus isn't a real American.

General Petreaus is about the safety of his men. That does not mean he is worried about the extra danger, just that he is aware of it. He is also aware of the culture over there, and how they are a bunch of whining assholes.

From the OP's link.

"It could endanger troops and it could endanger the overall effort," Gen. Petraeus said in an interview. "It is precisely the kind of action the Taliban uses and could cause significant problems. Not just here, but everywhere in the world we are engaged with the Islamic community."

Unlike the author of the headline for this article, I do not presume to think that means he condemns the burning of the Koran. He is commenting on the culture over there, as are the other officers quoted. Guess what, we do not run this country based on the idea of not offending people. I know a lot of progressives want to change that, and to give victims of imaginary slights the power to control other people's speech, but we have not deteriorated that far.

Just because you are willing to give fear power over your life does not mean everyone is. I could be wrong about this, but my guess is that Gen. Petraeus is not the type to allow someone to hold a gun to his head, and neither are any of the people under his command. So I continue to say, fuck those idiots that want to kill me because I am not afraid of them.

OH... GEE... we sure don't want to ignite a backlash, do we. Oh fuck no... they might actually try and do something STUPID, like FLY PLANES INTO THE WORLD TRADE CENTERS AND KILL 3,000+ PEOPLE... oh wait, THEY ALREADY DID THAT, and that was LONG before any of their stupid fucking books got burnt.

No, I think YOU are the one that needs to wake the fuck up moron. These cock suckers want to KILL EVERY LAST FUCKING MOTHER'S SONS OF US whether we burn their stinking koran or not, so I don't give a flying FUCK if they whine about their bull shit book getting burnt.

Last edited:
I can understand that someone who wants to kill a billion men, women and children because of their religion may have a few cognitive problems grasping simple concepts, but its a stretch to say that General Petraeus supports terrorists. Or is this what passes as "thought" on the extreme right these days?

Are you some king of bigot who doesn't understand the difference between a religion and the people who follow it? I do not want to kill a billion people, I want to wipe Islam, as it exists today, off the face of the Earth. Islam is the problem, not Muslims. I fully believe that if we can eliminate the dogma that Islam is the master religion, and that any insult or questioning of it is punishable by death, the remaining Muslims will be content to live with the world the way it is, get rich, and send their daughters off to school.

That will not happen if we allow Islam to threaten us and cause us to give up our freedoms.

Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

OH... GEE... we sure don't want to ignite a backlash, do we. Oh fuck no... they might actually try and do something STUPID, like FLY PLANES INTO THE WORLD TRADE CENTERS AND KILL 3,000+ PEOPLE... oh wait, THEY ALREADY DID THAT, and that was LONG before any of their stupid fucking books got burnt.

No, I think YOU are the one that needs to wake the fuck up moron. These cock suckers want to KILL EVERY LAST FUCKING MOTHER'S SONS OF US whether we burn their stinking koran or not, so I don't give a flying FUCK if they whine about their bull shit book getting burnt.

and you call yourself a veteran?

Endangering the lives of US service men and women and endangering our national mission so you can make an adolescent political point is akin to being an enemy of our state.

Do you GET IT, or are you too far gone?

Jeees!

and you call yourself a veteran?

Endangering the lives of US service men and women and endangering our national mission so you can make an adolescent political point is akin to being an enemy of our state.

Do you GET IT, or are you too far gone?

Jeees!

I get it, you think we should appease our enemies. You seem to understand that MILLIONS of Muslims are dangerous to us but refuse to accept that there is a problem with that. You ADMIT that the mere act of burning a book can cause MILLIONS of supposedly peaceful ( your words and our Governments) Muslims to attack American troops and interests yet can not grasp that the that is a PROBLEM we should be addressing.

Like I said thanks for continuing to prove my point.

The top U.S. commander in Afghanistan said the planned burning of Qurans on Sept. 11 by a Florida church could put the lives of American troops in danger and damage the war effort.

Gen. David Petraeus said the Taliban would exploit the demonstration for propaganda purposes, drumming up anger toward the U.S. and making it harder for allied troops to carry out their mission of protecting Afghan civilians.

"It could endanger troops and it could endanger the overall effort," Gen. Petraeus said in an interview with The Wall Street Journal. "It is precisely the kind of action the Taliban uses and could cause significant problems. Not just here, but everywhere in the world we are engaged with the Islamic community."

Hundreds of Afghans attended a demonstration in Kabul on Monday to protest the plans of Florida pastor Terry Jones, who has said he will burn the Quran on Sept. 11.

Afghan protesters chanted "death to America" and speakers called on the U.S. to withdraw its military convoy. Some of the protesters threw rocks at a passing military convoy, although officials told the rock-throwers to stop.

Military officials fear the protests are likely to spread beyond Kabul to other Afghan cities. In interviews with various media outlets, Mr. Jones has denied his protest will put troops in danger. Mr. Jones has been denied a permit for the demonstration but has said he plans to go forward with the his protest anyway.

Mr. Jones leads a tiny church of just 50 people, but his threat to burn the Muslim holy book has been condemned around the world and has garnered him international attention.

Gen. Petraeus declined to elaborate on precisely what kinds of threats or violence could occur in the wake of such a demonstration. But westerners in Afghanistan have been warned away from restaurants and other public places as tensions arise over the matter.

Petraeus Condemns U.S. Church's Plan to Burn Qurans - WSJ.com

Who are you going to believe, General Petraeus or this dumbass pastor?

General Pat is likely correct.

And on top of that that publicity stunt undermines the mission.

If this was a real war then the alien and sedition act would be retrieved and used to land that pastor in prison.

Bullshit.

Wait, let me get this right? The PEACEFUL religion of Islam may go up in flames across the globe because someone burns a Koran? Keep proving my point dumb ass.

you got it wrong. The peace keeping US forces in Iraq and Afghanistan may go up in flames because some anti American tard wants to make some juvenile political statement directly at odds with our mission in Afghanistan.

Do you want to win this war or become the new "Hanoi Jane"?

Are you with America or against us?

I anxiously await your response.

you got it wrong. The peace keeping US forces in Iraq and Afghanistan may go up in flames because some anti American tard wants to make some juvenile political statement directly at odds with our mission in Afghanistan.

Do you want to win this war or become the new "Hanoi Jane"?

Are you with America or against us?

I anxiously await your response.

I happen to SUPPORT the 1st Amendment. Why don't you? What kind of American admits that in fear he would deny other Americans their rights under the Constitution and then asks if those willing to see that Constitutional rights are upheld are some how unAmerican.

I get it, you think we should appease our enemies.

No you clearly don't get it.

Apparently YOU don't have kids in the warzone.

Now kindly listen to Gen Pat and stfu before you help get somebody killed so you can make some sophomoric political point that means nothing to anybody.

I get it, you think we should appease our enemies.

No you clearly don't get it.

Apparently YOU don't have kids in the warzone.

Now kindly listen to Gen Pat and stfu before you help get somebody killed so you can make some sophomoric political point that means nothing to anybody.

Remind us again how you support removing basic Constitutional rights out of fear. Fear of a religion you claim is peaceful.

Forum List

Back