Petition

jimnyc

Aug 28, 2003
New York
I'm sure it won't go anywhere, but I agree with what they say and feel he should clear up this mess that he himself created.

To: Sen. John Kerry, et al

Presidential hopeful Sen. John Kerry (D-MA) has been pressured by interest groups to make public his military medical records to verify and detail the wounds he received in Vietnam that warranted his being awarded three separate Purple Heart medals.

To date, Sen. Kerry has refused to release those records or to permit the media/press to review them. On Sunday, 29 February, 2004, former Sen. Max Cleland (D-GA), a triple amputee Vietnam veteran, came to Kerry's defense.

In an interview with WABC Radio's Steve Malzberg, Cleland said: "That might be the height of hypocrisy for people who never went to Vietnam [to ask that Kerry's wartime medical records be provided for public scrutiny]."

Without taking Mr. Cleland to task as to whether or not it sould be considered hypocritical for non-veterans to request the public inspection of Kerry's Vietnam combat medical records, it would seem only proper that real and true Vietnam War veterans be considered legitimate, qualified and un-hypocritical in their request for exactly that. A release of Sen. Kerry's Vietnam combat medical records, by Sen. Kerry, for public scrutiny.

Granted, no military service person's medical files should be a matter of public record, even by FOIA request. But it should be considered a legitimate and proper request of anyone seeking the highest office in the United States to make public those records as a matter of official disclosure, especially since matters documented in those records are in question, dispute, and potentially vital to better knowing the person seeking that office.

Further, it should be considered fair and reasonable to take persistent denial of that request as being tantamount to a confession that there is, indeed, something those records would reveal that would run counter to the accounts and explanations of wounds received, and Purple Heart medals awarded, as offered to date by Sen. John Kerry.

More than any other candidate for the office of President in 2004, Sen. Kerry has made much, and allowed others to make quite much, of his military service record, including the three Purple Heart medals he was awarded for wounds received in Vietnam.

Based on knowledgeable testimony, including Sen. Kerry's own statements regarding his wounds, there is legitimate reason to inquire regarding the seriousness of those wounds; how and under what circumstances were they received; and who (what qualified medical service personnel) verified and described the wounds into the medical record?

Perhaps most significantly, it was by virtue of the three Purple Heart medals that Lt. JG Kerry was able to employ an obscure option in Naval regulations that allowed him to cut short his Swift Boat tour in Vietnam to a extraordinarily brief four (4) months. Vietnam Veterans who served their full tours, or whose tours were necessarily shortened by much more severe wounding, are quite entitled to know the nature of the wounding that allowed a possible future Commander in Chief of the United States to so glaringly abbreviate his own tour of duty.

As no release of those combat medical records has been forthcoming, the undersigned do hereby petition Sen. John Kerry to voluntarily and without delay release to the press and news media unmodified copies of his medical records that are appropriate to the period of time he was on active duty in Vietnam -- those records that describe in detail each wound he received that resulted in his being awarded each of his three Purple Heart medals.

This Petition will be closed on June 25th, 2004 and the list of signatures and this Petition text presented to Sen. John Kerry, allowing him a full month to respond and react prior to the start of the Democratic National Convention on July 26th., 2004.

The purpose of this Petition is to counter the insinuation by former Sen. Cleland that it should be considered improper for non-veterans of the War in Vietnam to call upon Sen. Kerry to make such disclosure, or that only non-veterans would dare call into question the nature and scope of wounds received by, and Purple Heart medals awarded to, John Kerry.

As such, we seek to illustrate, by signature of agreement to this Petition, the number of supposedly qualified (to Cleland) individuals who do, indeed, call on Sen. Kerry to make that disclosure.

Sincerely,

The Undersigned

http://www.petitiononline.com/kerryrec/petition.html

damn i wanted to sign it but i'm wasn't even born yet during the Vietnam war and only Vet's can sign it, damn!!!

Are Purple Heart medals automatically given to wounded soldiers or do they need to be applied for? If so who applied for John Kerry's medals?

Originally posted by MtnBiker
Are Purple Heart medals automatically given to wounded soldiers or do they need to be applied for? If so who applied for John Kerry's medals?

I believe he awarded them to himself.

Are Purple Heart medals automatically given to wounded soldiers

I thought they were, but someone earlier made a statement on another thread that indicated that that was not neccesarily so.

For the record, I don't give a fig for John Kerry's military medical history. For all we know Kerry doesn't want his records released because then we would discover he is in fact a genetic eunuch, and that's something I just don't need to know.

Having seen the military and the way it operates, I am pretty sure that a Purple Heart is a legitimate award. It's a pretty big deal to award one to someone. I don't doubt that Kerry was wounded thrice, though I haven't heard of the extent of his wounds.

To receive a purple heart, a wound must be received in a time of war and that wound must NOT be self inflicted. That is all that is necessary. That does not include accidents like having your foot run over by a truck tire. It must be combat related.

Why not join the military then volunteer to go over and fight in Iraq or Afganistan and find out for yourselves? What conceivable point does in make how they are awarded? Did Kerry envision that he would be running for president 30 years hence and decide that he would need the credentials? My understanding is that they are given locally usually in military hospitals. Yes I am a veteran, said to avoid some inane comments.

Originally posted by BlackMan
Why not join the military then volunteer to go over and fight in Iraq or Afganistan and find out for yourselves?

That has absolutely nothing to do with any of this. If someone is running for president and they are questioning and making someone elses credentials the heart of their campaign, then they should have their own credentials examined. If he has nothing to hide than it shouldn't be any problem. I notice Bush allowed his pay records to be released.

Kerry is also refusing to release the names of supposed foreign leaders who have apparently stated they were behind him and that Bush had to go.

His refusals only lead people to believe there is more to these stories.

I need not be a veteran, or join the military, to ask for knowledge before voting for the next president of the USA.

How is it processed? I'm sure there is paperwork envolved. Does the wounded person apply for a medal or does someone else do it?

whenever a marine is treated in a hospital the wound(s) and its cause are documented. If the administration (of the hospital) denotes that its combat related then that report is forwarded to the respective branches command office for processing and the medal/citation is filed and delivered or presented.

Likewise, if the injury is reported to have been non-combat related then the documentation reflects that and no citation is filed or processed.

Didn't President Bush have to open his Medical Records up for everyone to gawk at? Wasn't that his medical records, when the Dems were griping because he didn't take medical exams that kept him grounded (even though he would have still been grounded :rolleyes: ). Oh, but that's a good reason, yeah, we found out at one time he had hemmorioids :rolleyes: .

Anyone use to watch MASH? Anyone remember when Frank Burns got a Purple Heart for getting hit with shell fragment, but the shell fragment was an egg shell in his eye, ROTFL!! Sorry, that's what I think about when I think of Kerry, LOl!

Originally posted by DKSuddeth
whenever a marine is treated in a hospital the wound(s) and its cause are documented. If the administration (of the hospital) denotes that its combat related then that report is forwarded to the respective branches command office for processing and the medal/citation is filed and delivered or presented.

Likewise, if the injury is reported to have been non-combat related then the documentation reflects that and no citation is filed or processed.
Thanks for the answer DK, sounds very reasonable to me.

Forum List

Back