Petition to Put an End to Teachers' Unions in Public Education!

Sign me up. Government Unions should have never been allowed to flourish. And the Teacher Unions are the worst of the worst. They are the single biggest obstacle in fixing and upgrading our Public School System. They hold our children and taxpayers hostage far too often. Public Unions are just plain bad for America. I'm more flexible with private unions though. Their a different animal. All Government Unions should be abolished.

Only 24,999 signatures to go. Good luck.

Would you mind helping? I'm trying hard but it's difficult if you're not a celebrity on Twitter and on Facebook, I hope that my friends and family support it. I've posted a rational reason on this forum to gain more support from like minded individuals, I would love for you to support. John F. Kennedy wanted to eliminate teachers' unions for public education too.

I understand that was why he was killed. Yes, the teacher's union is THAT powerful. :eek:

Reason one is irrelevant. Reason two is irrelevant and seems to be way too low (the US spends billions, not thousands or millions on public education every month). Reasons three and four are highly debatable (for example, private school teachers seem to receive more overall compensation than public school teachers, so it's not clear in what way public teachers' benefits are "[E]xtraordinary").

I hope you realize there are reasons other than your non-celebrity that people are declining to sign your petition.

Don't respond to this thread, again, I don't want fake liberals posting in this thread.

you are insane if you think you have the power to demand that.

I'm a Centrist I have every right under the First Amendment to say, "you aren't a liberal". Everybody who says they're a liberal is a lying prick.

Sign me up. Government Unions should have never been allowed to flourish. And the Teacher Unions are the worst of the worst. They are the single biggest obstacle in fixing and upgrading our Public School System. They hold our children and taxpayers hostage far too often. Public Unions are just plain bad for America. I'm more flexible with private unions though. Their a different animal. All Government Unions should be abolished.

Thanks, pal. Share with your friends I've been promoting this petition on Twitter. We need to let the Obama Administration know this is what the people want, let's pressure him. We responded to that student loan petition, now it's time to get serious.

That's why non-teacher union states have the best school test scores.

Don't respond to this thread, again, I don't want fake liberals posting in this thread.

I'm a Centrist I have every right under the First Amendment to say, "you aren't a liberal". Everybody who says they're a liberal is a lying prick.

Thanks, pal. Share with your friends I've been promoting this petition on Twitter. We need to let the Obama Administration know this is what the people want, let's pressure him. We responded to that student loan petition, now it's time to get serious.

dear liar, you dont have the right to demand people NOT respond to your stupid thread

Only 24,999 signatures to go. Good luck.

Would you mind helping? I'm trying hard but it's difficult if you're not a celebrity on Twitter and on Facebook, I hope that my friends and family support it. I've posted a rational reason on this forum to gain more support from like minded individuals, I would love for you to support. John F. Kennedy wanted to eliminate teachers' unions for public education too.

I understand that was why he was killed. Yes, the teacher's union is THAT powerful. :eek:

Why can't people get it? Government Unions, especially the Teachers' Union is unnecessary and costly. I created the first petition to address this issue on the petition site on the White House home page and President Obama actually responds to the petitions. This is a good opportunity to raise this question and hope to get a response and see what he's going to do. He took on the unions before now I want to see him do it more, sign the petition damn it!

That's why non-teacher union states have the best school test scores.

Every state has a teachers' union and they all are doing poorly but some states do their best to regulate but what's needed is an elimination on the federal level. The States' can only do so much.

Petition Text: In the Spirit of Democracy, Independence and Authentic Progressivism, the People of the United States remain to be skeptical on America's Future. There have been program initiatives for many years to better our children's circumstances from the tyranny of the Teachers' Unions. In all disrespect, We the People are frustrated with these program initiatives because quite frankly, they do not work. There have been an increase of funding towards this system but it failed to improve our circumstance as well, this is due to the nature of the contracts by the Teachers' Unions. Greed. We the People hereby petition the Obama Administration to take full initiative in eliminating such unions from this public service, namely "Public Education".

Sign the Petition: http://wh.gov/Tu2

Why?

1. Public Education is a Public Service Career.
  2. Public Education Receives Thousands to Millions of Dollars on a Monthly Basis.
  3. Program Initiatives like "Race to the Top" or "No Child Left Behind" Don't Work.
  4. Teachers' Benefits are Extraodinary Because It's State (Federal) Owned.

Sources:

True Costs of Public Education (From YouTube)
True Costs of Public Education (From Washington Post)

Where has education ever been made better by paying teachers less and making their jobs a less attractive career choice?

Where has education ever been made better by paying teachers more?? Our government schools can't even prepare a student for college today. :doubt:

Why can't people get it? Government Unions, especially the Teachers' Union is unnecessary and costly. I created the first petition to address this issue on the petition site on the White House home page and President Obama actually responds to the petitions. This is a good opportunity to raise this question and hope to get a response and see what he's going to do. He took on the unions before now I want to see him do it more, sign the petition damn it!

I think not. But I appreciate the transparency you have brought to your silly anti-teacher thread.

Please continue.

Petition Text: In the Spirit of Democracy, Independence and Authentic Progressivism, the People of the United States remain to be skeptical on America's Future. There have been program initiatives for many years to better our children's circumstances from the tyranny of the Teachers' Unions. In all disrespect, We the People are frustrated with these program initiatives because quite frankly, they do not work. There have been an increase of funding towards this system but it failed to improve our circumstance as well, this is due to the nature of the contracts by the Teachers' Unions. Greed. We the People hereby petition the Obama Administration to take full initiative in eliminating such unions from this public service, namely "Public Education".

Why?

2. Public Education Receives Thousands to Millions of Dollars on a Monthly Basis.
  3. Program Initiatives like "Race to the Top" or "No Child Left Behind" Don't Work.

Sources:

Where has education ever been made better by paying teachers less and making their jobs a less attractive career choice?

Where has education ever been made better by paying teachers more?? Our government schools can't even prepare a student for college today. :doubt:

I think we can send a very clear message that we value education for our children in this country by treating our teachers like peons undeserving of a union's protection and undeserving of a professional's pay.

Why?

Sources:

I don't have a problem with public unions -I have a problem with allowing them the privilege to go on strike. THAT should be banned. When a union goes on strike they are essentially claiming ownership of that which they are denying YOU.

Does my child's education belong to public service teachers? Do they have a right to deny my child a public school education? Do they have a greater right to extort taxpayers? Do they have a greater right to blackmail taxpayers by threatening to deprive my child of an education unless their demands are met?

The reason teacher's benefits are FAR beyond those of the average taxpayer who foots the bill for them -is because we don't elect union negotiators to office, do we? Public unions at ALL times have the best interests of their members before all else. Before the best interests of those who are actually footing the bills, before those of all children, before those of the state and before those of the nation.

What people do not realize is that public union members do NOT work for any elected official. They don't work for the governor, the mayor, the school board, the President, Congress, state legislators. They work for WE THE PEOPLE. So when they go on strike they aren't striking against a governor. They are striking against US. And the people who really pay the price for it are OUR CHILDREN. The quality of education children receive in public schools has been steadily declining since the creation of the teachers union. The exact opposite of what proponents claimed would happen. Only a surprise to those who do not understand the true nature of unions in the first place evidently.

When Democrats claim to represent the best interests of public union members -I believe them and so should everyone else. But that also means they are NOT representing the best interests of everyone else because that is a DIRECT CONFLICT OF INTEREST. How can they possibly have the best interests of those footing the bills and those on the receiving end of those bills? They already make NO bones about which of those two they elevated above the other -and THIS is what it looks like. A system where a career in public service not only pays more than the average salary and benefits of those in the private sector who must pay for them -it pays more than the comparable job in the private sector. Which is an OUTRAGE! There is a REASON that without the ability to blackmail taxpayers the pay of public service careers is a little less than the comparable job in the private sector. Every productive citizen who chooses a public service career of any kind has been removed from the ranks of those who foot the bills in this country and become essentially a parasite on the rest of us. What do you think happens by encouraging people to believe it pays better to be a parasite than a productive citizen working in the private sector? Public service unions in reality act as money laundering operations for one particular political party -the same one that claims to have their best interests at heart. They use union dues to funnel money to Democrat candidates, once elected they turn around and funnel money back to the unions. This is true of both public and private unions but with public unions at ALL times, every minute it is taxpayer funds being funneled between them, it is ALL taxpayers on the hook who are REALLY footing every fucking cent of the bills in the corrupt relationship specifically created for the mutual masturbatory relationship that exists between Democrats and public unions.

PUBLIC UNIONS ARE A MAJOR SOURCE OF POLITICAL CORRUPTION IN THIS COUNTRY but when they are given the privilege of being able to go on strike -it becomes their PRIMARY PURPOSE.

So now that teachers have been given the privilege to blackmail those footing the bills by withholding our child's education until we cave to their demands -let's see what we got in exchange. Gee, have we gotten a better quality of teacher for it? Uh -NO. Our kids fare pretty poorly compared to children in other nations who spend a FRACTION of what we do on education. Probably because they have so little money they actually teach the essentials instead of using it as a political indoctrination center! Have our children left public school better prepared for college? Uh -NO. Most freshmen coming from a public school have to take remedial English and math classes before they have the MINIMAL skills to handle college courses. Have those who do not go on to college left public school better prepared for a life of self-reliance and independence as a productive citizen (which is the real point of a public school education for those who did not realize that) Uh -hell NO. Public schools do NOT belong to those who happen to work in them -they belong to WE THE PEOPLE who pay ever fucking last cent that goes into them! Just like government does NOT belong to those who happen to work in them or got elected to some office -it belongs to WE THE PEOPLE who foot the bills for its very existence! When public unions go on strike they are claiming it belongs to THEM and THEM ALONE -and claim a right to decide what services you will and will not receive. While sticking YOU with all the bills for it. Including the salaries and benefits of those denying you the services you paid for.

So your real question should be -when did allowing teachers to band together for the purpose of blackmailing taxpayers and threaten to deny your child an education until their demands are met -improve the quality of education? No one ever puts a gun to the head of someone who chooses a career as a public servant. You don't like the pay and benefits of that public service job? Go find another job and preferably one that helps pay the salaries and benefits of those IN those jobs! There has NEVER been a shortage of public servants and never been a shortage of public school teachers, never been a shortage of people willing to step into the shoes of someone who leaves public service of any kind -the sooner you realize why that is, the better for all of us! Unionizing them not only did NOT improve the quality of teachers, it guaranteed that unlike the past - getting rid of the most incompetent ones is nearly impossible. Who foots the real bill for that? YOUR KID WITH A SHITTY EDUCATION that leaves him unprepared for adulthood as an independent, productive member of society and definitely unprepared for college that now requires an average of TWO YEARS to make up for what they should have learned in public schools but didn't! Do you SERIOUSLY not know why that it is? Just one of THOUSANDS of examples of how teachers claim to be "teaching": my sister's 10 year old kid was forced to watch every episode of West Wing when it was on -so kids could get a picture of what life as a wonderful, caring and liberal President was like and the problems he faced, the mean-spirited opponents who stood in the way of his ability to just dole out blessing all over the place, etc etc and the kids left class openly admiring that "President" and in full support of his wonderful agenda! Wow -no doubt that helped them distinguish between reality and fantasy. To say nothing of the blatant political indoctrination which is ALL this was about in the first place!

So your real question should be -when did allowing teachers to blackmail those who foot the bills by threatening to deny your child an education, when did over paying teachers and allowing them to insist we over-value the services they provide -ever improve the quality of education? What did we REALLY get for all that? Next time you hear an adult say "We was going here" or you can't read what someone wrote at all because it's illegible and then find out what it says is "I looked around at the beautiful seen in front of me" -after which they go on to tell you how Republicans want dirty air and want dirty water and how they want more rape in the country -you know EXACTLY what you got for it. Those who support the system as it exists deserve nothing better -but do your kids also deserve nothing better?

Why?

Sources:

I don't have a problem with public unions -I have a problem with allowing them the privilege to go on strike. THAT should be banned. When a union goes on strike they are essentially claiming ownership of that which they are denying YOU.

Does my child's education belong to public service teachers? Do they have a right to deny my child a public school education? Do they have a greater right to extort taxpayers? Do they have a greater right to blackmail taxpayers by threatening to deprive my child of an education unless their demands are met?

The reason teacher's benefits are FAR beyond those of the average taxpayer who foots the bill for them -is because we don't elect union negotiators to office, do we? Public unions at ALL times have the best interests of their members before all else. Before the best interests of those who are actually footing the bills, before those of all children, before those of the state and before those of the nation.

What people do not realize is that public union members do NOT work for any elected official. They don't work for the governor, the mayor, the school board, the President, Congress, state legislators. They work for WE THE PEOPLE. So when they go on strike they aren't striking against a governor. They are striking against US. And the people who really pay the price for it are OUR CHILDREN. The quality of education children receive in public schools has been steadily declining since the creation of the teachers union. The exact opposite of what proponents claimed would happen. Only a surprise to those who do not understand the true nature of unions in the first place evidently.

When Democrats claim to represent the best interests of public union members -I believe them and so should everyone else. But that also means they are NOT representing the best interests of everyone else because that is a DIRECT CONFLICT OF INTEREST. How can they possibly have the best interests of those footing the bills and those on the receiving end of those bills? They already make NO bones about which of those two they elevated above the other -and THIS is what it looks like. A system where a career in public service not only pays more than the average salary and benefits of those in the private sector who must pay for them -it pays more than the comparable job in the private sector. Which is an OUTRAGE! There is a REASON that without the ability to blackmail taxpayers the pay of public service careers is a little less than the comparable job in the private sector. Every productive citizen who chooses a public service career of any kind has been removed from the ranks of those who foot the bills in this country and become essentially a parasite on the rest of us. What do you think happens by encouraging people to believe it pays better to be a parasite than a productive citizen working in the private sector? Public service unions in reality act as money laundering operations for one particular political party -the same one that claims to have their best interests at heart. They use union dues to funnel money to Democrat candidates, once elected they turn around and funnel money back to the unions. This is true of both public and private unions but with public unions at ALL times, every minute it is taxpayer funds being funneled between them, it is ALL taxpayers on the hook who are REALLY footing every fucking cent of the bills in the corrupt relationship specifically created for the mutual masturbatory relationship that exists between Democrats and public unions.

PUBLIC UNIONS ARE A MAJOR SOURCE OF POLITICAL CORRUPTION IN THIS COUNTRY but when they are given the privilege of being able to go on strike -it becomes their PRIMARY PURPOSE.

So now that teachers have been given the privilege to blackmail those footing the bills by withholding our child's education until we cave to their demands -let's see what we got in exchange. Gee, have we gotten a better quality of teacher for it? Uh -NO. Our kids fare pretty poorly compared to children in other nations who spend a FRACTION of what we do on education. Probably because they have so little money they actually teach the essentials instead of using it as a political indoctrination center! Have our children left public school better prepared for college? Uh -NO. Most freshmen coming from a public school have to take remedial English and math classes before they have the MINIMAL skills to handle college courses. Have those who do not go on to college left public school better prepared for a life of self-reliance and independence as a productive citizen (which is the real point of a public school education for those who did not realize that) Uh -hell NO. Public schools do NOT belong to those who happen to work in them -they belong to WE THE PEOPLE who pay ever fucking last cent that goes into them! Just like government does NOT belong to those who happen to work in them or got elected to some office -it belongs to WE THE PEOPLE who foot the bills for its very existence! When public unions go on strike they are claiming it belongs to THEM and THEM ALONE -and claim a right to decide what services you will and will not receive. While sticking YOU with all the bills for it. Including the salaries and benefits of those denying you the services you paid for.

So your real question should be -when did allowing teachers to band together for the purpose of blackmailing taxpayers and threaten to deny your child an education until their demands are met -improve the quality of education? No one ever puts a gun to the head of someone who chooses a career as a public servant. You don't like the pay and benefits of that public service job? Go find another job and preferably one that helps pay the salaries and benefits of those IN those jobs! There has NEVER been a shortage of public servants and never been a shortage of public school teachers, never been a shortage of people willing to step into the shoes of someone who leaves public service of any kind -the sooner you realize why that is, the better for all of us! Unionizing them not only did NOT improve the quality of teachers, it guaranteed that unlike the past - getting rid of the most incompetent ones is nearly impossible. Who foots the real bill for that? YOUR KID WITH A SHITTY EDUCATION that leaves him unprepared for adulthood as an independent, productive member of society and definitely unprepared for college that now requires an average of TWO YEARS to make up for what they should have learned in public schools but didn't! Do you SERIOUSLY not know why that it is? Just one of THOUSANDS of examples of how teachers claim to be "teaching": my sister's 10 year old kid was forced to watch every episode of West Wing when it was on -so kids could get a picture of what life as a wonderful, caring and liberal President was like and the problems he faced, the mean-spirited opponents who stood in the way of his ability to just dole out blessing all over the place, etc etc and the kids left class openly admiring that "President" and in full support of his wonderful agenda! Wow -no doubt that helped them distinguish between reality and fantasy. To say nothing of the blatant political indoctrination which is ALL this was about in the first place!

So your real question should be -when did allowing teachers to blackmail those who foot the bills by threatening to deny your child an education, when did over paying teachers and allowing them to insist we over-value the services they provide -ever improve the quality of education? What did we REALLY get for all that? Next time you hear an adult say "We was going here" or you can't read what someone wrote at all because it's illegible and then find out what it says is "I looked around at the beautiful seen in front of me" -after which they go on to tell you how Republicans want dirty air and want dirty water and how they want more rape in the country -you know EXACTLY what you got for it. Those who support the system as it exists deserve nothing better -but do your kids also deserve nothing better?

Preach Brother or Sister, Preach! Sign the Petition and Share What You've Stated Here!

Sign me on.. Only one problem.. I'm not giving this WhiteHouse my IP address with the power to "notify security agencies".. I'm on with ya --- but 1st on your list is an Admin that doesn't use gimmicks to enlarge it's mailing list and monitor visitors to whitehouse.gov like this one does..

Sign me on.. Only one problem.. I'm not giving this WhiteHouse my IP address with the power to "notify security agencies".. I'm on with ya --- but 1st on your list is an Admin that doesn't use gimmicks to enlarge it's mailing list and monitor visitors to whitehouse.gov like this one does..

Read their Privacy Statement. You can easily opt out of their newsletter and they don't violate their privacy unless you're doing something illegal on the site. Dude, your name is kept anonymous unless you do something illegal, read the statements.

Last edited:
I think teachers should be paid equivalent to the baby sitters many parents expect them to be.

That would be approximately $5/hr per child....$5/hr X 30 (conservative guess) X 6 (conservative guess) = $900/day. 20 days/month (conservative guess) X $900 = $18,000/mon.

I know teachers would settle for that.

Gee, I'd be in favor of eliminating teachers' unions, but how will the poor Dimocrats survive without their millions of dollars of campaign funds? Sure they'll still have all the other unions, lawyers, and lots of Wall Street folks donating, but every bit helps.

The senators and representatives representing Koch brothers and Exxon Mobile thank you.

I think teachers should be paid equivalent to the baby sitters many parents expect them to be.

That would be approximately $5/hr per child....$5/hr X 30 (conservative guess) X 6 (conservative guess) = $900/day. 20 days/month (conservative guess) X $900 = $18,000/mon.

I know teachers would settle for that.

Great perspective.
That is about $162,000 a year.

Not sure but we sure as hell have amble evidence that dumping ungodly amounts of taxpayer money into education has NOT made a damn bit of difference in student performance.

You want teachers to be paid more? Let families decide where and how their children will be educated and allow the free market to respond to those demands. It's bad enough that governments try to fund education, it's untenable that they RUN education...unless of course it's shitty results and more public debt you're after.
The free market can never solve the countries educational problems. It can be a part of the solution as it is now. For a free market in education to work, there would have to be many billions of dollars in subsidies so low and middle income families could send their kids to private schools. With subsidies would come requirements to protect the tax payer. There would requirements for private schools to receive funds. In short you would still have government involved in education and how free that market might be would be questionable.

The current system would still have to exist to serve the needs not provided by private schools. Private schools since they are private, can pick and choose their students bypassing the difficult students such as those with physical and mental disabilities, and those with emotional problems. Those students which are the most costly to educate would be left to public education.

Lastly the biggest problem in education is improving the performance of the the really poor performers. These are the students that drag down the test scores and the ones least likely to end up in a private school.

We are having growing economic disparity between the affluent and the poor. A free market approach to education would only add to that disparity.

Last edited:
[/QUOTE] You're a right wing nut. It's not the Department of Education that's the major problem, it's the unions! Goodness, why can't you comprehend this?[/QUOTE]

Wow, nice ad hominem attack there pal...and to think I was going to sign your petition!

First, I'm far from "right wing". I am a true Classical Liberal/Libertarian. Second, if you believe that government should RUN education, make your case, if you can. And please, make your argument based in logic and reason without 'attacking the man'...lest we think you a left wing loon.

Not sure but we sure as hell have amble evidence that dumping ungodly amounts of taxpayer money into education has NOT made a damn bit of difference in student performance.

You want teachers to be paid more? Let families decide where and how their children will be educated and allow the free market to respond to those demands. It's bad enough that governments try to fund education, it's untenable that they RUN education...unless of course it's shitty results and more public debt you're after.
The free market can never solve the countries educational problems. It can be a part of the solution as it is now. For a free market in education to work, there would have to be many billions of dollars in subsidies so low and middle income families could send their kids to private schools. With subsidies would come requirements to protect the tax payer. There would requirements for private schools to receive funds. In short you would still have government involved in education and how free that market might be would be questionable.

The current system would still have to exist to serve the needs not provided by private schools. Private schools since they are private, can pick and choose their students bypassing the difficult students such as those with physical and mental disabilities, and those with emotional problems. Those students which are the most costly to educate would be left to public education.

Lastly the biggest problem in education is improving the performance of the the really poor performers. These are the students that drag down the test scores and the ones least likely to end up in a private school.

We are having growing economic disparity between the affluent and the poor. A free market approach to education would only add to that disparity.

I disagree with everything you've stated in this post...everything. That said, neither of us can prove which would work better, free market or government run education, but at least we know for SURE that government run education does not work. So, more of the same or try something new? Time will tell.

Forum List

Back