Peter the Rock

turzovka

Gold Member
Nov 20, 2012
So Catholics like myself make arguments for the validity and absolute necessity of the body and blood of Jesus Christ present at the Eucharist in the mass. And then the discussion morphs into who is the real Church Christ established in Matthew 16 and Peter’s role. Then Ninja submits 10,000 words of text explaining why Peter is not the head of any Church and has no special role, etc. Right.

So if this is what it has now come to, then we can play that game too --- although this is hardly a game. I have documentation below that absolutely convinces me that Peter is the Rock, the head of the Church, the only Church Jesus established, and so on. It goes into the original languages and the meaning of words and the case grows stronger. What it does not do is theological gymnastics to twist its way out of what even the English texts seem to obviously imply.

I do not expect anyone to read this. I top posted it to make the case that just because someone can produce anti-Catholic writings and biblical passages that provide their own explanations, we can do the same. In fact, we have tons of Scripture that defends not only the Eucharist, but the sacrament of Penance, Purgatory and the unspeakable grand honor given to the Virgin Mary alone.

To think the Catholic Church was in horrible error on what it was teaching Christians for 1500 years until “the real truth” came along via Luther and Calvin is so not like a loving and caring God. Once the true Messiah arrived, suffered, died and rose from the dead --- surely the truth would be given and not hidden for another 1500 years.

http://www.catholic.com/blog/tim-staples/peter-the-rock

Peter the Rock

Few texts have been the occasion for the spilling of more ink than Matthew 16:17-19:
And Jesus answered him, "Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jona! For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my Father who is in heaven. And I tell you, you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church, and the powers of death shall not prevail against it. I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven."

For Catholics, this text is clear. All twelve apostles were present, yet Jesus promised to give to Peter alone the keys of the kingdom, symbolizing the authority of Christ—the authority of heaven—over the kingdom of heaven on Earth, which is the Church. Yet millions of Protestants believe that there is a distinction in meaning in the Greek text between the two “rocks” that would eliminate Peter from consideration for being the rock.

“Thou art petros and upon this petra I will build my church . . .” The first rock, petros, is claimed to refer to a small, insignificant rock: Peter. The second, petra, is claimed to mean a massive boulder: that would be either Jesus or Peter’s confession of faith. The argument concludes Jesus did not build his church upon St. Peter but either upon himself or Peter’s faith.

Below are seven reasons, among many others we could examine, why Peter is undeniably the rock:

1) Matthew, we have pretty solid evidence, was originally written in Aramaic. Both Sts. Papias and Irenaeus tell us as much in the second century. But even more importantly—and more certainly—Jesus would not have spoken his discourse of Matthew 16 in Greek. Greek was the dominant language of the Roman Empire in the first century, but most of the common Jewish folk to whom Jesus spoke would not have been fluent in it. Aramaic was their spoken language.

Moreover, we have biblical evidence—John 1:42—that also points to Jesus using Aramaic in the naming of Peter: "[Andrew] brought [Peter] to Jesus. Jesus looked at him and said, 'So you are Simon the son of John? You shall be called Cephas'” (which means Peter).

The name Cephas is an anglicized form of the Aramaic Kepha, which means simply “rock.” There would have been no “small rock” to be found in Jesus’ original statement to Peter.

Even well-respected Protestant scholars will agree on this point. Baptist scholar D. A. Carson, warites, in The Expositor's Bible Commentary:

[T]he underlying Aramaic is in this case unquestionable; and most probably kepha was used in both clauses ("you are kepha" and "on this kepha"), since the word was used both for a name and for a "rock." The Peshitta (written in Syriac, a language cognate with a dialect of Aramaic) makes no distinction between the words in the two clauses.

2) In Koine Greek (the dialect of Greek used by the authors of the New Testament), petros and petra are masculine and feminine forms of words with the same root and the same definition—rock. There is no “small rock” to be found in the Greek text, either.

So why did St. Matthew use these two words in the same verse? Petra was a common word used for “rock” in Greek. It’s used fifteen times to mean “rock,” “rocks,” or “rocky” in the New Testament. Petros is an ancient Greek term that was not commonly used in Koine Greek at all. In fact, it was never used in the New Testament, except for Peter’s name after Jesus changed it from Simon to Peter.

It follows that when St. Matthew was translating, he would have used petra for “rock.” However, in so doing, he would have encountered a problem. Petra is a feminine noun. It would have been improper to call Peter Petra. This would be equivalent to calling a male “Valerie” or “Priscilla” in English. Hence, petros was used instead of petra for Peter’s name.

3) There are several words the inspired author could have used for rock or stone in Greek. Petra and lithos were the most common. They could be used interchangeably. A connotation of “large” or “small” with either of them would depend on context. The words simply meant rock or stone.

Craig S. Keener, another Protestant scholar, on page 90 of The IVP Bible Background Commentary of the New Testament, states: “In Greek (here), they (referring to petros and petra) are cognate terms that were used interchangeably by this period…” D. A. Carson points out the big/small distinction did exist in Greek, but is found only in ancient Greek (used from the eighth to the fourth century B.C.), and even there it is mostly confined to poetry. The New Testament was written in Koine Greek (used from the fourth century B.C. to the fifth century A.D.). Carson agrees with Keener and with Catholics that there is no distinction in definition between petros and petra.

One of the most respected and referenced Greek dictionaries among Evangelicals is Gerhard Kittel’s Theological Dictionary of the New Testament. In a most candid statement about Matthew 16:18, Dr. Oscar Cullman, a contributing editor to this work, writes:

The obvious pun which has made its way into the Greek text . . . suggests a material identity between petra and Petros . . . as it is impossible to differentiate strictly between the two words. . . . Petros himself is this petra, not just his faith or his confession. . . . The idea of the Reformers that he is referring to the faith of Peter is quite inconceivable. . . . For there is no reference here to the faith of Peter. Rather, the parallelism of “thou art Rock” and “on this rock I will build” shows that the second rock can only be the same as the first. It is thus evident that Jesus is referring to Peter, to whom he has given the name Rock. . . . To this extent Roman Catholic exegesis is right and all Protestant attempts to evade this interpretation are to be rejected.

4) If St. Matthew wanted to distinguish “rocks” in the text, he would have most likely used lithos. As stated above, lithos could refer to a large rock, but it was more commonly used to denote a small stone. However, there is a third word St. Matthew could have used that always means small stone: psephos. It is used twice in Rev. 2:17 as “small stone” when Jesus says, “To him who conquers I will give some of the hidden manna, and I will give him a white stone, with a new name written on the stone which no one knows except him who receives it.” Here we have one Greek word that unlike lithos and petra always has a connotation of “small stone,” or “pebble.”

5) A simpler line of reasoning gets away from original languages and examines the immediate context of the passage. Notice, our Lord says to St. Peter in Matthew 16:17-19: And Jesus answered him, "Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jona! For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my Father who is in heaven. And I tell you, you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church, and the powers of death shall not prevail against it. I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven."

Jesus uses the second person personal seven times in just three verses. The context is clearly one of Jesus communicating a unique authority to Peter.

Further, Jesus is portrayed as the builder of the Church, not the building. He said, “I will build my church.” Jesus is “the wise man who built his house upon the rock” (Matt. 7:24) in Matthew’s Gospel. Once again, it just does not fit the context to have Jesus building the Church upon himself. He’s building it upon Peter.

6) A lot of folks miss the significance of Simon’s name change to Peter. When God revealed to certain of his people a new and radical calling in Scripture, he sometimes changed their names. In particular, we find this in the calling of the Patriarchs. Abram (“exalted father” in Hebrew) was changed to Abraham (“father of the multitudes”). Jacob (“supplanter”) to Israel (“One who prevails with God”). In fact, there is a very interesting parallel here between Abraham and St. Peter. In Isaiah 51:1-2, we read: Hearken to me, you who pursue deliverance, you who seek the Lord; look to the rock from which you were hewn. . . . Look to Abraham your father.

Jesus here makes St. Peter a true “father” over the household of faith, just as God made Abraham our true “father” in the Faith (cf. Romans 4:1-18; James 2:21). Hence, it is fitting that Peter’s successors are called “pope” or “papa,” as was Abraham (cf. Luke 16:24).

7) When we understand that Christ is the true “son of David” who came to restore the prophetic Kingdom of David, we understand that Christ in Matthew 16, like the King of Israel, was establishing a “prime minister” among his ministers—the apostles—in the Kingdom. Isaiah 22:15-22 gives us insight into the ministry of the “prime minister” in ancient Israel:

Thus says the Lord God of hosts, “Come, go to this steward, to Shebna, who is over the household, and say to him . . . Behold the Lord will hurl you away violently. . . . I will thrust you from your office, and you will be cast down from your station. In that day I will call my servant Eliakim the son of Hilkiah, and I will clothe him with your robe, and will bind your girdle on him, and will commit your authority to his hand; and he shall be a father to the inhabitants of Jerusalem and to the house of Judah. And I will place on his shoulder the key of the House of David; he shall open, and none shall shut; and he shall shut, and none shall open.

In Revelation 1:18, Jesus declares, “I have the keys of Death and Hades.” He then quotes this very text from Isaiah in Revelation 3:7: And to the angel of the church in Philadelphia write: “The words of the holy one, the true one, who has the key of David, who opens and no one shall shut, who shuts and no one opens.”

No Christian would deny Jesus is the King who possesses the keys. Who does he give the keys to? Peter!

====================================================

Tim Staples is Director of Apologetics and Evangelization here at Catholic Answers, but he was not always Catholic. Tim was raised a Southern Baptist. Although he fell away from the faith of his childhood, Tim came back to faith in Christ during his late teen years through the witness of Christian...

Last edited:
It wasn't the same Peter that denied Christ three times before the cock crows is it?
Why are you asking that? Surely it was. Every pope and every saint who ever lived sinned many times. Only the Blessed Mother was without sin. And, of course, Jesus Christ.

It wasn't the same Peter that denied Christ three times before the cock crows is it?

Yes he did. One might go as far as accusing Peter of being human. Remark on his career after His conversation with Christ upon Christ's return and the power to become more than human after receiving the Holy Spirit. How many times can you recall Peter denying Christ prior to his own death?

Turz, the church of Christ isn't a denomination. It is a group of humans that accept Christ as their savior. Peter was called to feed Christ's sheep and indeed he did. He wears many crowns as we speak.
He is not the only one who created churches that Christ recognizes. In fact, if you go to the back of the book, Christ names the churches that will accompany him into the Temple. They are the 7 churches addressed in Revelation. Those are referred to as the 7 candle sticks in Christ's Temple.

While Catholics will be among those in the church of Christ, the Catholic Church has never been a big proponent of blessing Israel. They have been big on replacement theology though. Something that God warns against. They have taken away and added to so much of God's word that they have been able to fashion their own Bible by doing so.
Catholic are some of the most Godly people I know. And just like the rest of the church going Christians, God will tell them to leave their dogma at the gate and come in and prepare for their coronation. The Catholics I grew up with and the one I married, don't just talk the talk, they walk the walk, and will be blessed accordingly.

Yes he did. One might go as far as accusing Peter of being human. Remark on his career after His conversation with Christ upon Christ's return and the power to become more than human after receiving the Holy Spirit. How many times can you recall Peter denying Christ prior to his own death?

Turz, the church of Christ isn't a denomination. It is a group of humans that accept Christ as their savior. Peter was called to feed Christ's sheep and indeed he did. He wears many crowns as we speak.
He is not the only one who created churches that Christ recognizes. In fact, if you go to the back of the book, Christ names the churches that will accompany him into the Temple. They are the 7 churches addressed in Revelation. Those are referred to as the 7 candle sticks in Christ's Temple.

While Catholics will be among those in the church of Christ, the Catholic Church has never been a big proponent of blessing Israel. They have been big on replacement theology though. Something that God warns against. They have taken away and added to so much of God's word that they have been able to fashion their own Bible by doing so.
Catholic are some of the most Godly people I know. And just like the rest of the church going Christians, God will tell them to leave their dogma at the gate and come in and prepare for their coronation. The Catholics I grew up with and the one I married, don't just talk the talk, they walk the walk, and will be blessed accordingly.
There are a number of things you said above I could take issue with. But then, that would only further make it look like my mission is to put down protestant teachings. It seems to me no one wants to even have such discussions except the more fiery ones, like ninja. I, personally, would welcome the exchange and that is why I thought it fair enough to respond to his voluminous rebuttal (he posted in another thread) with all these reasons why Peter is no one special, certainly not the head of Jesus Church, etc. IOW, the point of my post was to those of ninja’s ilk that just because you can produce lengthy arguments and quote Scripture, the Catholic positions can do so as well. And in fact, if one read the whole article I posted he or she might find some well researched facts and reasoning.

But then, no one wants to spend such time. I get that. But then I also would add --- we are grateful everyone believes in Jesus and seeks heaven as they may, and many doctrines can be not thought of and one would still be a lovely Christian. However, to suggest whether purgatory is real or not is of minor importance would be truly unfair and unwise to be sure, imo. It is of immeasurable consequence.

Other doctrines also most critical as well where graces flow. But if no one wants to argue them, then by all means do the more important thing and evangelize a lost and fallen world. They need to hear the truth more than the Catholic Church needs correcting, and vice versa with the Protestants.

Last edited:
OP- the RCC wasn';t teaching these things for 1500 years before the reformation. The RCC is all over the place, adding and changing the catechism. Mary, purgatory and almost everything else was added in here and there over the last hundreds of years.

lets do a comparison of the teachings of the RCC Catechism with the Bible (this site from a former Catholic for 40 plus years)-

In Catholic theology, Mary, Jesus' earthly mother, holds a position of extreme importance -- far greater than the Bible would indicate. This is known as the Cult of Mary, or Mariolatry. In fact, it is the ancient religion of Mystery Babylon, known in theology as the mother-child cult. Begun by Nimrod and his wife, it has appeared in many guises over the millennia. This cult is the source of Lent; see Weeping for Tammuz Also consider buying Two Babylons, by Alexander Hislop, the seminal work on this subject.

CATHOLIC IDOLATRY ABOUT MARY

"God has entrusted the keys and treasures of heaven to Mary."
Thomas Aquinas

"Who can worthily thank you and adequately praise you, oh Blessed Virgin, who by your fiat has saved a lost world."
St. Augustine

"The foundation of all our confidence is found in the Blessed Virgin Mary. God has committed to her the treasury of all good things, in order that everyone may know that through her are obtained every hope, every grace, and all salvation. For this is His will: That we obtain everything through Mary."
Pope Pius IX

"Sinners receive pardon by the intercession of Mary alone."
St. John Chrysostom

"No one ever finds Christ but with and through Mary. Whoever seeks Christ apart from Mary seeks Him in vain."
St. Bonaventure

"All those who seek Mary’s protection will be saved for all eternity."
Pope Benedict XV

"Holy Scripture was written to Mary, about Mary, and on account of Mary."
St. Bernard

"What will it cost you, oh Mary, to hear our prayer? What will it cost you to save us? Has not Jesus placed in your hands all the treasures of His grace and mercy? You sit crowned Queen at the right hand of your son: your dominion reaches as far as the heavens and to you are subject the earth and all creatures dwelling thereon. Your dominion reaches even down into the abyss of hell, and you alone, oh Mary, save us from the hands of Satan."
Pope Pius Xl

"Mary, not one of your devout servants has ever perished: may I, too, Be saved!"
Pope Benedict XV
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Catholic doctrine teaches that Mary was born without sin and never sinned.

Catholic Catechism, par. 494 below.

Catholic Catechism, par. 966 "Finally the Immaculate Virgin, preserved free from all stain of original sin, when the course of her earthly life was finished, was taken up body and soul into heavenly glory, and exalted by the Lord as Queen over all things, so that she might be the more fully conformed to her Son, the Lord of lords and conqueror of sin and death.' [LG 59; cf. Pius XII, Munificentissimus Deus (1950): DS 3903; cf. Revelation 19:16.] The Assumption of the Blessed Virgin is a singular participation in her Son's Resurrection and an anticipation of the resurrection of other Christians: In giving birth you kept your virginity; in your Dormition you did not leave the world, O Mother of God, but were joined to the source of Life. You conceived the living God and, by your prayers, will deliver our souls from death.[Byzantine Liturgy, Troparion, Feast of the Dormition, August 15th.]

Romans 3:22b-23 [22b] ... There is no difference, [23] for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God

Romans 3:10-12 [10] As it is written: "There is no one righteous, not even one; [11] there is no one who understands, no one who seeks God. [12] All have turned away, they have together become worthless; there is no one who does good, not even one."

Catholic doctrine teaches that Mary became the cause of salvation for the whole human race.

Catholic doctrine teaches that we have life through Mary.

Catholic Catechism, par. 494 At the announcement that she would give birth to 'the Son of the Most High' without knowing man, by the power of the Holy Spirit, Mary responded with the obedience of faith, certain that 'with God nothing will be impossible': 'Behold, I am the handmaid of the Lord; let it be (done) to me according to your word.'[Luke 1:28-38 ; cf. Romans 1:5 .] Thus, giving her consent to God's word, Mary becomes the mother of Jesus. Espousing the divine will for salvation wholeheartedly, without a single sin to restrain her, she gave herself entirely to the person and to the work of her Son; she did so in order to serve the mystery of redemption with him and dependent on him, by God's grace: [Cf. LG 56.] As St. Irenaeus says, 'Being obedient she became the cause of salvation for herself and for the whole human race.' [St. Irenaeus, Adv. haeres. 3, 22, 4: PG 7/1, 959A.] Hence not a few of the early Fathers gladly assert. . .: 'The knot of Eve's disobedience was untied by Mary's obedience: what the virgin Eve bound through her disbelief, Mary loosened by her faith.' [St. Irenaeus, Adv. haeres. 3, 22, 4: PG 7/1, 959A.] Comparing her with Eve, they call Mary 'the Mother of the living' and frequently claim: 'Death through Eve, life through Mary.' [LC 56; St. Epiphanius, Panarion 2, 78, 18: PG 42, 728CD-729AB; St. Jerome, Ep. 22, 21: PL 22, 408.]

Catholic Catechism, par. 966 (See above) You conceived the living God and, by your prayers, will deliver our souls from death.

John 14:6 Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

1 John 5:12 He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have life.

Catholic doctrine teaches that Mary was crowned Queen of all things.

Catholic Catechism, par. 966 "Finally the Immaculate Virgin, preserved free from all stain of original sin, when the course of her earthly life was finished, was taken up body and soul into heavenly glory, and exalted by the Lord as Queen over all things, so that she might be the more fully conformed to her Son, the Lord of lords and conqueror of sin and death.' [LG 59; cf. Pius XII, Munificentissimus Deus (1950): DS 3903; cf. Revelation 19:16.] The Assumption of the Blessed Virgin is a singular participation in her Son's Resurrection and an anticipation of the resurrection of other Christians: In giving birth you kept your virginity; in your Dormition you did not leave the world, O Mother of God, but were joined to the source of Life. You conceived the living God and, by your prayers, will deliver our souls from death. [Byzantine Liturgy, Troparion, Feast of the Dormition, August 15th.]

About nineteen verses of scripture talk about Mary, Jesus' earthly mother. Her significance in biblical theology is extremely limited.

Luke 11:27-28 [27] As Jesus was saying these things, a woman in the crowd called out, "Blessed is the mother who gave you birth and nursed you." [28] He replied, "Blessed rather are those who hear the word of God and obey it."

Matthew 12:47-50 [47] Someone told him, "Your mother and brothers are standing outside, wanting to speak to you." [48] He replied to him, "Who is my mother, and who are my brothers?" [49] Pointing to his disciples, he said, "Here are my mother and my brothers. [50] For whoever does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother."

Catholic doctrine teaches that Mary brings us the gifts of eternal salvation.

Catholic Catechism, par. 969 'This motherhood of Mary [spiritual mother of all mankind] in the order of grace continues uninterruptedly from the consent which she loyally gave at the Annunciation and which she sustained without wavering beneath the cross, until the eternal fulfillment of all the elect. Taken up to heaven she did not lay aside this saving office but by her manifold intercession continues to bring us the gifts of eternal salvation .... Therefore the Blessed Virgin is invoked in the Church under the titles of Advocate, Helper, Benefactress, and Mediatrix.' [LG 62.]

John 14:6 Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

Catholic doctrine teaches that Mary is our intercessor, our advocate, our helper and our mediator.

Catholic Catechism, par. 969 above

1 Timothy 2:5-6 [5] For there is one God and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus, [6] who gave himself as a ransom for all men--the testimony given in its proper time.

CHRIST'S SACRIFICE
Catholic doctrine teaches that Jesus' sacrificial work is still continuing.

Catholic Catechism, par. 1367 The sacrifice of Christ and the sacrifice of the Eucharist are one single sacrifice: 'The victim is one and the same: the same now offers through the ministry of priests, who then offered himself on the cross; only the manner of offering is different.' 'In this divine sacrifice which is celebrated in the Mass, the same Christ who offered himself once in a bloody manner on the altar of the cross is contained and is offered in an unbloody manner.' [Council of Trent (1562): DS 1743; cf. Hebrews 9:14, 27.]

Catholic Catechism, par. 1405 There is no surer pledge or dearer sign of this great hope in the new heavens and new earth 'in which righteousness dwells,' [2 Peter 3:13.] than the Eucharist. Every time this mystery is celebrated, 'the work of our redemption is carried on' and we 'break the one bread that provides the medicine of immortality, the antidote for death, and the food that makes us live for ever in Jesus Christ.' [LG 3; St. Ignatius of Antioch, Ad Eph. 20, 2: SCh 10, 76.]

Catholic Catechism, par. 1414 As sacrifice, the Eucharist is also offered in reparation for the sins of the living and the dead and to obtain spiritual or temporal benefits from God.

The supreme power of the priestly office is the power of consecrating. "No act is greater," says St. Thomas, "than the consecration of the body of Christ." In this essential phase of the sacred ministry, the power of the priest is not surpassed by that of the bishop, the archbishop, the cardinal or the pope. Indeed it is equal to that of Jesus Christ. For in this role the priest speaks with the voice and authority of God Himself.

When the Priest pronounces the tremendous words of consecration, he reaches up into the heavens, brings Christ down from His throne, and places Him upon our altar to be offered up again as the Victim for the sins of man. It is a power greater than that of monarchs and emperors: it is greater than that of the saints and angels, greater than that of the Seraphim and Cherubim.

Indeed it is greater even than the power of the Virgin Mary. While the Blessed Virgin was the human agency by which Christ became incarnate a single time, the priest brings Christ down from heaven, and renders Him present on our altar as the eternal Victim for the sins of man—not once but a thousand times! The priest speaks and lo! Christ, the eternal and omnipotent God, bows his head in humble obedience to the priest’s command. (Cardinal John A. O’Brien, The Faith of Millions, Our Sunday Visitor, Inc., (Huntington, IN 1974), pp. 255-256)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Where did this blasphemous fable originate? See The Priesthood of All Believers by P. G. Mathew, M.A., M.Div., Th.M.

John 19:30 When he had received the drink, Jesus said, "It is finished." With that, he bowed his head and gave up his spirit.

1 Peter 3:18a For Christ died for sins once for all, the righteous for the unrighteous, to bring you to God.

Hebrews 10:11-12 [11] Day after day every priest stands and performs his religious duties; again and again he offers the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins. [12] But when this priest [Jesus] had offered for all timeone sacrifice for sins, he sat down at the right hand of God.

Hebrews 9:24-28 [24] For Christ did not enter a man-made sanctuary that was only a copy of the true one; he entered heaven itself, now to appear for us in God's presence. [25] Nor did he enter heaven to offer himself again and again, the way the high priest enters the Most Holy Place every year with blood that is not his own. [26] Then Christ would have had to suffer many times since the creation of the world. But now he has appeared once for all at the end of the ages to do away with sin by the sacrifice of himself. [27] Just as man is destined to die once, and after that to face judgment, [28] so Christ was sacrificed once to take away the sins of many people; and he will appear a second time, not to bear sin, but to bring salvation to those who are waiting for him.

CROSS NOT ENOUGH
Catholic doctrine teaches that Christ's work on the Cross was not sufficient to fully pay for our sins.

Catholic Catechism, par. 1030 All who die in God's grace and friendship, but still imperfectly purified, are indeed assured of their eternal salvation; but after death they undergo purification [burning in Purgatory, perhaps for millions of years], so as to achieve the holiness necessary to enter the joy of heaven.

Catholic Catechism, par. 1032 This teaching is also based on the practice of prayer for the dead, already mentioned in Sacred Scripture [actually, the Apocrypha]: 'Therefore Judas Maccabeus made atonement for the dead, that they might be delivered from their sin.' [2 Maccabees 12:46] From the beginning the Church has honored the memory of the dead and offered prayers in suffrage for them, above all the Eucharistic sacrifice, so that, thus purified, they may attain the beatific vision of God. [Cf. Council of Lyons II (1274): DS 856.] The Church also commends almsgiving, indulgences, and works of penance undertaken on behalf of the dead: Let us help and commemorate them. If Job's sons were purified by their father's sacrifice, why would we doubt that our offerings for the dead bring them some consolation? Let us not hesitate to help those who have died and to offer our prayers for them. [St. John Chrysostom, Hom. in 1 Cor. 41, 5: PG 61, 361; cf. Job 1:5.]

Catholic Catechism, par. 1129 below, which claims that the work of participating in the Catholic sacraments is necessary for salvation.

Neither the pre-Christian Jews nor the early Church considered the Apocrypha divinely inspired.

Hebrews 10:11-18 [11] Day after day every priest stands and performs his religious duties; again and again he offers the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins. [12] But when this priest [Jesus] had offered for all timeone sacrifice for sins, he sat down at the right hand of God. [13] Since that time he waits for his enemies to be made his footstool, [14] because by one sacrifice he has made perfect forever those who are being made holy. [15] The Holy Spirit also testifies to us about this. First he says: [16] "This is the covenant I will make with them after that time, says the Lord. I will put my laws in their hearts, and I will write them on their minds." [17] Then he adds: "Their sins and lawless acts I will remember no more." [18] And where these have been forgiven, there is no longer any sacrifice for sin.

PUNISHMENT FOR FORGIVEN SINS
Catholic doctrine teaches that believers will be punished for sins that have already been forgiven.

Catholic Catechism, par. 1471 The doctrine and practice of indulgences in the Church are closely linked to the effects of the sacrament of Penance. 'An indulgence is a remission before God of the temporal punishment due to sins whose guilt has already been forgiven, which the faithful Christian who is duly disposed gains under certain prescribed conditions through the action of the Church which, as the minister of redemption, dispenses and applies with authority the treasury of the satisfactions of Christ and the saints.' [Paul VI, apostolic constitution, Indulgentiarum doctrina, Norm 1.] 'An indulgence is partial or plenary according as it removes either part or all of the temporal punishment due to sin.' [Indulgentiarum doctrina, Norm 2; Cf. Norm 3.] Indulgences may be applied to the living or the dead.

Catholic Catechism, par. 1472 To understand this doctrine and practice of the Church, it is necessary to understand that sin has a double consequence. Grave sin deprives us of communion with God and therefore makes us incapable of eternal life, the privation of which is called the 'eternal punishment' of sin. On the other hand every sin, even venial, entails an unhealthy attachment to creatures, which must be purified either here on earth, or after death in the state called Purgatory. This purification frees one from what is called the 'temporal punishment' of sin. These two punishments must not be conceived of as a kind of vengeance inflicted by God from without, but as following from the very nature of sin. A conversion which proceeds from a fervent charity can attain the complete purification of the sinner in such a way that no punishment would remain. [Cf. Council of Trent (1551): DS 1712-1713; (1563): 1820.]

John 19:30 When he had received the drink, Jesus said, "It is finished." With that, he bowed his head and gave up his spirit.

Hebrews 10:11-12 [11] Day after day every priest stands and performs his religious duties; again and again he offers the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins. [12] But when this priest [Jesus] had offered for all timeone sacrifice for sins, he sat down at the right hand of God.

The Catholic doctrine denies the sufficiency of Jesus' sacrifice.

SALVATION BY WORKS
Catholic doctrine teaches that works, e.g., participation in the sacraments are necessary for salvation.

Catholic Catechism, par. 1129 The Church affirms that for believers the sacraments of the New Covenant are necessary for salvation. [Cf. Council of Trent (1547): DS 1604.] 'Sacramental grace' is the grace of the Holy Spirit, given by Christ and proper to each sacrament. The Spirit heals and transforms those who receive him by conforming them to the Son of God. The fruit of the sacramental life is that the Spirit of adoption makes the faithful partakers in the divine nature [Cf. 2 Peter 1:4.] by uniting them in a living union with the only Son, the Savior.

Catholic Catechism, par. 1498 Through indulgences the faithful can obtain the remission of temporal punishment resulting from sin for themselves and also for the souls [of others] in Purgatory.

Indulgences are obtained by works, e.g., studying the Bible, and by payment, e.g., buying Mass cards, lighting candles (and making a "donation").

Catholic Catechism, par. 1477 'This treasury includes as well the prayers and good works of the Blessed Virgin Mary. They are truly immense, unfathomable, and even pristine in their value before God. In the treasury, too, are the prayers and good works of all the saints, all those who have followed in the footsteps of Christ the Lord and by his grace have made their lives holy and carried out the mission the Father entrusted to them. In this way they attained their own salvation and at the same time cooperated in saving their brothers in the unity of the Mystical Body.' [Indulgentiarum doctrina, 5.]

Catholic Catechism, par. 1479 Since the faithful departed now being purified are also members of the same communion of saints, one way we can help them is to obtain indulgences for them, so that the temporal punishments due for their sins may be remitted.

Catholic doctrine teaches that we can earn salvation for ourselves and others by works.

Catholic Catechism, par. 2027 No one can merit the initial grace which is at the origin of conversion. Moved by the Holy Spirit, we can merit for ourselves and for others all the graces needed to attain eternal life, as well as necessary temporal goods.

Romans 10:9 If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

Hebrews 10:11-18 above

Ephesians 2:8-9 [8] For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith--and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God-- [9] not by works, so that no one can boast.

Romans 4:2-5 [2] If, in fact, Abraham was justified [saved] by works, he had something to boast about--but not before God. [3] What does the Scripture say? "Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness." [4] Now when a man works, his wages are not credited to him as a gift, but as an obligation. [5] However, to the man who does not work [trying to earn salvation] but trusts God who justifies the wicked, his faith is credited as righteousness.

WATER BAPTISM NEEDED FOR SALVATION
Catholic doctrine teaches that water baptism is necessary for salvation.

Catholic Catechism, par. 1256 The ordinary ministers of Baptism are the bishop and priest and, in the Latin Church, also the deacon. [Cf. CIC, can. 861 # 1; CCEO, can. 677 # 1.] In case of necessity, any person, even someone not baptized, can baptize, if he has the required intention. The intention required is to will to do what the Church does when she baptizes, and to apply the Trinitarian baptismal formula. The Church finds the reason for this possibility in the universal saving will of God and the necessity of Baptism for salvation. [Cf. 1 Timothy 2:4]

Catholic Catechism, par. 1213 Holy Baptism is the basis of the whole Christian life, the gateway to life in the Spirit (vitae spiritualis ianua), [Cf. Council Of Florence: DS 1314: vitae spiritualis ianua.] and the door which gives access to the other sacraments. Through Baptism we are freed from sin and reborn as sons of God; we become members of Christ, are incorporated into the Church and made sharers in her mission: 'Baptism is the sacrament of regeneration through water in the word.' [Roman Catechism II, 2, 5; Cf. Council Of Florence: DS 1314; CIC, cann.]

Catholic Catechism, par. 1215 This sacrament [water baptism] is also called 'the washing of regeneration and renewal by the Holy Spirit,' for it signifies and actually brings about the birth of water and the Spirit without which no one 'can enter the kingdom of God.' [Titus 3:5 ; John 3:5.]

Luke 23:39-43 [39] One of the criminals who hung there hurled insults at him: "Aren't you the Christ? Save yourself and us!" [40] But the other criminal rebuked him. "Don't you fear God," he said, "since you are under the same sentence? [41] We are punished justly, for we are getting what our deeds deserve. But this man has done nothing wrong." [42] Then he said, "Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom. " [43] Jesus answered him, "I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in paradise."

Wait a minute, Jesus -- the guy hasn't been baptized! It seems You need to brush up on the Catholic Catechism!

Romans 10:9 If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

1 Corinthians 1:14-15, 17 [14] I am thankful that I did not baptize any of you except Crispus and Gaius, [15] so no one can say that you were baptized into my name. [17] For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel -- not with words of human wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power.

Also consider Mark 16:16. It is as important for what it doesn't say as for what it does say. It says "whoever does not believe will be condemned." It does not say "whoever does not believe and whoever is not baptized will be condemned."

Mark 16:16 Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned.

WORKS CAN SAVE OTHERS
Catholic doctrine teaches that the good works of one believer can pay for the sins of that believer or other believers.

Catholic Catechism, par. 1474 The Christian who seeks to purify himself of his sin and to become holy with the help of God's grace is not alone. 'The life of each of God's children is joined in Christ and through Christ in a wonderful way to the life of all the other Christian brethren in the supernatural unity of the Mystical Body of Christ, as in a single mystical person.' [Indulgentiarum doctrina, 5.]

Catholic Catechism, par. 1475 In the communion of saints, 'a perennial link of charity exists between the faithful who have already reached their heavenly home, those who are expiating their sins in purgatory and those who are still pilgrims on earth. between them there is, too, an abundant exchange of all good things.' [Indulgentiarum doctrina, 5.] In this wonderful exchange, the holiness of one profits others, well beyond the harm that the sin of one could cause others. Thus recourse to the communion of saints lets the contrite sinner be more promptly and efficaciously purified of the punishments for sin.

Catholic Catechism, par. 1476 We also call these spiritual goods of the communion of saints the Church's treasury, [italics in original] which is 'not the sum total of the material goods which have accumulated during the course of the centuries. On the contrary the 'treasury of the Church' is the infinite value, which can never be exhausted, which Christ's merits have before God. They were offered so that the whole of mankind could be set free from sin and attain communion with the Father. In Christ, the Redeemer himself, the satisfactions and merits of his Redemption exist and find their efficacy.' [Indulgentiarum doctrina, 5.]

Catholic Catechism, par. 1477 'This treasury includes as well the prayers and good works of the Blessed Virgin Mary. They are truly immense, unfathomable, and even pristine in their value before God. In the treasury, too, are the prayers and good works of all the saints, all those who have followed in the footsteps of Christ the Lord and by his grace have made their lives holy and carried out the mission the Father entrusted to them. In this way they attained their own salvation and at the same time cooperated in saving their brothers in the unity of the Mystical Body.' [Indulgentiarum doctrina, 5.]

Catholic Catechism, par. 1479 Since the faithful departed now being purified are also members of the same communion of saints, one way we can help them is to obtain indulgences for them, so that the temporal punishments due for their sins may be remitted.

Catholic Catechism, par. 2027 No one can merit the initial grace which is at the origin of conversion. Moved by the Holy Spirit, we can merit for ourselves and for others all the graces needed to attain eternal life, as well as necessary temporal goods.

Revelation 20:11-12 [11] Then I saw a great white throne and him who was seated on it. Earth and sky fled from his presence, and there was no place for them. [12] And I saw the dead, great and small, standing before the throne, and books were opened. Another book was opened, which is the book of life. The dead were judged according to what they had done as recorded in the books.

TOP HOME
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Site: Catholic Catechism and Bible Compared - Home Page

Part 2- if you like we can take one verse/section at a time.... to discuss after you read it. A side by side comparison is very apparent that the RCC teachings are opposite of the plain teachings of the Bible! Let the readers decide for themselves!

CATHOLIC OR HELL
Catholic doctrine teaches that membership in the Catholic Church is necessary for salvation.

Catholic Catechism, par. 870 "The sole Church of Christ which in the Creed we profess to be one, holy, catholic, and apostolic, . . . subsists in the Catholic Church, which is governed by the successor of Peter [i.e., the pope] and by the bishops in communion with him. Nevertheless, many elements of sanctification and of truth are found outside its visible confines'(LG 8).

Catholic Catechism, par. 846 How are we to understand this affirmation, often repeated by the Church Fathers? [Cf. Cyprian, Ep. 73.21: PL 3, 1169; De unit.: PL 4, 509-536.] Re-formulated positively, it means that all salvation comes from Christ the Head through the Church which is his Body: Basing itself on Scripture and Tradition, the Council teaches that the Church, a pilgrim now on earth, is necessary for salvation: the one Christ is the mediator and the way of salvation; he is present to us in his body which is the Church. He himself explicitly asserted the necessity of faith and Baptism, and thereby affirmed at the same time the necessity of the Church which men enter through Baptism as through a door. Hence they could not be saved who, knowing that the Catholic Church was founded as necessary by God through Christ, would refuse either to enter it or to remain in it. [LG 14; cf. Mark 16:16; John 3:5.]

This isn't some five-hundred year-old "outdated" teaching. My copy of the Catechism of the Catholic Church contains a copy of the signature of Pope John-Paul II "Given October 11, 1992, the thirtieth anniversary of the opening of the Second Vatican Ecumenical Council, in the fourteenth year of my Pontificate." (emphasis added)

THIS HAS BEEN THE CATHOLIC POSITION ALL ALONG:

1) "The holy universal Church proclaims that God cannot truly be worshipped save within herself, and asserts that all they who are without her pale shall never be saved."
Pope Gregory the Great 540-604 A.D.

2) "The Church is like the Ark of Noah, outside of which nobody can be saved."
St. Thomas Aquinas 1224-1274 A.D.

3) "That there is one Holy Catholic and apostolic Church we are compelled to believe and to hold, prompted by divine faith, and we do believe this firmly and confess it simply, outside of which there can be no salvation, or remission of sins…."
Pope Boniface VIII 1235-1303 A.D., became Pope in 1294

4) "It is a sin to believe that there is salvation outside the Catholic Church."
Pope Pius IX 1792-1878 A.D., became Pope in 1846, convened the first Vatican Council in 1869, which enunciated the Catholic doctrine of papal infallibility.

5) "We believe the Church is necessary for salvation because Christ, who is the sole mediator and exclusive way of salvation, renders Himself present for us in His body which is the Church. We must always remember the unity of the mystical body, without which there can be no salvation, is open to no one outside the Catholic Church."
Pope Paul VI 1897-1978 A.D. became Pope in 1963

6) "For it is through Christ’s Catholic Church alone, which is the universal help towards salvation, that the fullness of the means of salvation can be obtained."
Vatican II 1965
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

"I'm Catholic, and I just don't believe that only Roman Catholics will go to Heaven."

Congratulations! All religions that consider themselves "Christian" consider you a heretic. Catholicism considers you a heretic because you don't accept this major Catholic doctrine, and the other religions consider you a heretic because you accept Catholicism.

It is important to understand that "Catholic doctrine", "Catholic teachings", "Methodist doctrine", "Calvinist doctrine", etc., are not about the personal beliefs of a few individuals. Society is affected by groups acting as a group, not by isolated individuals (except, of course, in rare cases involving assassinations). EvenJesus would have had virtually no effect on human society if He had not gathered around Him a group of followers who continued to spread His teachings.

It is well-known and well-documented that the Church of Rome has little tolerance for dissent and moves to take dissenters out of positions of influence.

MISS A MASS, BURN IN HELL
Around 1000 A.D., attendance at Catholic Mass was made mandatory under penalty of mortal sin. In other words, -- according to the Roman Catholic Church -- if anyone misses just one CATHOLIC Mass (each Sunday and "holy days of obligation" such as Christmas) and does not have that sin forgiven by a Catholic Priest, that person (which includes all Protestants, Eastern Orthodox and Messianic Jews) will spend forever in Hell.

MOSLEMS WILL BE SAVED
Catholic doctrine teaches that Muslims can be saved even though they deny the crucifixion and deity of Jesus Christ.

Catholic Catechism, par. 841 The Church's relationship with the Muslims. 'The plan of salvation also includes those who acknowledge the Creator, in the first place amongst whom are the Muslims; these profess to hold the faith of Abraham, and together with us they adore the one, merciful God, mankind's judge on the last day.' [LG 16; cf. NA 3.]

Koran Sura (Chapter) 4 verse 157 "But they killed him [Christ] not nor crucified him, but so it was made to appear to them. They killed him not. Nay, God raised him up unto himself."

(Islam teaches that God transfigured someone else to look like Jesus and that person died on the Cross, not Jesus. Then, God raised Jesus the prophet and apostle bodily into heaven and said "You told people you are My Son. You lied! Why did you do this?" Jesus the prophet repented and God forgave him. In the last days, the final great Muslim prophet will come with Jesus, and this repentant Jesus will admit to people that he lied and is not the Messiah, that this final prophet is the Messiah.)

Koran Sura 5 verse 78 "Christ, the Son of Mary, was no more than an apostle."

Koran Sura 5 verse 75 "They do blaspheme who say God is Christ, the Son of Mary."

John 3:18 Whoever believes in him [Jesus] is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because he has not believed in the name of God's one and only Son.

Acts 4:11-12 [11] He is "the stone you builders rejected, which has become the capstone [cornerstone of a building]." [12] Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved.

John 5:22-23 [22] Moreover, the Father judges no one, but has entrusted all judgment to the Son, [23] that all may honor the Son just as they honor the Father. He who does not honor the Son does not honor the Father, who sent him.

As these verses indicate, the Koran, the scripture of Islam teaches and Moslems believe that Jesus Christ is not God. Sadly, this means that, like all others who don't believe in the deity of Christ, all Moslems who believe the teachings of their religion are condemned to eternal punishment. Many people, both Christian and non-Christian, find this teaching offensive and call Christians bigots, prejudiced, and/or narrow-minded. The Christian belief is based on the teachings of the Bible, not on personal likes or dislikes. The vast majority of Moslems are nice, decent, kind, hard-working people. No true Christian takes pleasure or joy in the thought of BILLIONS of people being punished for ETERNITY, but that is exactly what the New Testament says will happen. But the official Catechism of the Catholic Church denies this biblical teaching.

"Wait a minute! First you say that Catholic doctrine teaches the Catholic Church is necessary for salvation, then you say that Catholic doctrine teaches that Muslims will be saved, even though they aren't members of the Catholic Church! That doesn't make sense!"

Hey, I'm not Catholic! I claim they're wrong!

HELL IMMEDIATELY
Catholic doctrine teaches that the lost go to Hell immediately upon death.

Catholic Catechism, par. 1035 The teaching of the Church affirms the existence of hell and its eternity. Immediately after death the souls of those who die in a state of mortal sin descend into hell, where they suffer the punishments of hell, 'eternal fire.' [Cf. DS 76; 409; 411; 801; 858; 1002; 1351; 1575; Paul VI, CPG # 12.] The chief punishment of hell is eternal separation from God, in whom alone man can possess the life and happiness for which he was created and for which he longs.

According to the Bible, nobody is in Hell yet. The unsaved dead are held in Hades. Hell won't be "open for business" until the Second Coming, when Christ returns to Earth to stop the Battle of Armageddon. At that time the Beast and the False Prophet will be thrown alive into the Lake of Fire and Satan will be imprisoned in the Abyss. Then Christ will rule the Millennial Kingdom from Jerusalem for a thousand years. At the end of the thousand years, Satan will be released and will mislead many into rebelling, and Jesus will destroy the rebels. Then Jesus will resurrect all unbelievers and judge them at the Great White Throne Judgment. Those whose names are not found in the Book of Life will be thrown alive into the Lake of Fire.

Note: It is important to draw a technical distinction in terminology. Some versions translate the Greek word as "Hell" and others translate it as "Hades". Theologians and translators who consider the prejudgment prison to be "Hades" consider the term "Lake of Fire" to be synonymous with "Hell". Theologians and translators who consider the prejudgment prison to be "Hell" call the Lake of Fire the Lake of Fire. When I say "nobody is in Hell yet" I mean nobody is in the place of eternal fire.

See 'Hell', 'Hades' and 'the Lake of Fire'.

Revelation 1:17-18 [17] When I saw him, I fell at his feet as though dead. Then he placed his right hand on me and said: "Do not be afraid. I am the First and the Last. [18] I am the Living One; I was dead, and behold I am alive for ever and ever! And I hold the keys of death and Hades."

Revelation 19:20 But the beast [the Antichrist] was captured, and with him the false prophet who had performed the miraculous signs on his behalf. With these signs he had deluded those who had received the mark of the beast and worshiped his image. The two of them were thrown alive into the fiery lake of burning sulfur.

Revelation 20:11-15 [11] Then I saw a great white throne and him who was seated on it. Earth and sky fled from his presence, and there was no place for them. [12] And I saw the dead, great and small, standing before the throne, and books were opened. Another book was opened, which is the book of life. The dead were judged according to what they had done as recorded in the books. [13] The sea gave up the dead that were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead that were in them, and each person was judged according to what he had done. [14] Then death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. The lake of fire is the second death. [15] If anyone's name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire.

TRANSUBSTANTIATION
Catholic doctrine teaches that when the priest blesses the bread and wine, they are miraculously transformed into the actual body and the actual blood of Jesus Christ.

Catholic Catechism, par. 1374 The mode of Christ's presence under the Eucharistic species is unique. It raises the Eucharist above all the sacraments as 'the perfection of the spiritual life and the end to which all the sacraments tend.' [St. Thomas Aquinas, STh III, 73, 3c.] In the most blessed sacrament of the Eucharist 'the body and blood, together with the soul and divinity, of our Lord Jesus Christ and, therefore, the whole Christ is truly, really, and substantially contained.' [Council of Trent (1551): DS 1651.] 'This presence is called 'real' - by which is not intended to exclude the other types of presence as if they could not be 'real' too, but because it is presence in the fullest sense: that is to say, it is a substantial presence by which Christ, God and man, makes himself wholly and entirely present.' [Paul VI, MF 39.]

Catholic doctrine demands that believers must worship the Eucharist.

Catholic Catechism, par. 1378 Worship of the Eucharist. In the liturgy of the Mass we express our faith in the real presence of Christ under the species of bread and wine by, among other ways, genuflecting or bowing deeply as a sign of adoration of the Lord. 'The Catholic Church has always offered and still offers to the sacrament of the Eucharist the cult of adoration, not only during Mass, but also outside of it, reserving the consecrated hosts with the utmost care, exposing them to the solemn veneration of the faithful, and carrying them in procession.' [Paul VI, MF 56.]

Catholic doctrine teaches that by the actions of the priest the bread and wine become the actual body and the actual blood of Jesus Christ. At Mass, the priest blesses the bread. He then holds it up to the congregation and declares "The body of Christ." The congregation responds "Amen." He then continues, blesses the wine, holds it up to the congregation and declares "The blood of Christ." Again, the congregation responds "Amen." The Catholic Church claims that this is a miracle called transubstantiation.

In fact, this same alleged miracle was taught by the ancient Egyptian religion that worshiped the pagan god Osiris. See The Mystery of the Eucharist by former Roman Catholic priest, and now Baptist minister Dr. Bartholomew F. Brewer, Ph.D. The article includes Canons from the Council of Trent.

In the Bible there isn't even one miracle that lacked visible , physical evidence. The Bible does not say "Jesus called 'Lazarus, come out.' Lazarus did not come out. Nothing happened. However, everyone still realized Lazarus had been raised from the dead." The Bible does not say "Jesus said to the little girl 'Talitha koum.' The little girl did not rise up. Nothing happened. However, everyone still realized she had been raised from the dead."

INFALLIBILITY
Catholic doctrine teaches that anyone who does not accept the pronouncements of the Pope hates Christ, is not a believer and will not be saved.

Catholic Catechism, par. 882 The Pope, Bishop of Rome and Peter's successor, 'is the perpetual and visible source and foundation of the unity both of the bishops and of the whole company of the faithful.'[LG 23.] 'For the Roman Pontiff, by reason of his office as Vicar of Christ, and as pastor of the entire Church has full, supreme, and universal power over the whole Church, a power which he can always exercise unhindered.' [LG 22; cf. CD 2,9.]

Catholic Catechism, par. 891 'The Roman Pontiff, head of the college of bishops, enjoys this infallibility in virtue of his office, when, as supreme pastor and teacher of all the faithful - who confirms his brethren in the faith he proclaims by a definitive act a doctrine pertaining to faith or morals.... The infallibility promised to the Church is also present in the body of bishops when, together with Peter's successor, they exercise the supreme Magisterium,' above all in an Ecumenical Council. [LG 25; cf. Vatican Council I: DS 3074.] When the Church through its supreme Magisterium proposes a doctrine 'for belief as being divinely revealed,' [DV 10 # 2.] and as the teaching of Christ, the definitions 'must be adhered to with the obedience of faith.' [LG 25 # 2.] This infallibility extends as far as the deposit of divine Revelation itself. [Cf. LG 25.]

Regarding alleged papal infallibility, it is extremely important to realize three things:

1. The Catholic Church did not claim papal infallibility until 1870, at the First Vatican Council.

2. Infallibility was declared by the Council, not by the Pope or by some other alleged divine revelation.

3. The Council was not unanimous -- some members did not believe papal teachings are infallible!
Catholic doctrine teaches that whoever does not follow Catholic bishops despises Christ.

Catholic Catechism, par. 862 'Just as the office which the Lord confided to Peter alone, as first of the apostles, destined to be transmitted to his successors, is a permanent one, so also endures the office, which the apostles received, of shepherding the Church, a charge destined to be exercised without interruption by the sacred order of bishops.'[LG 20 # 2.] Hence the Church teaches that 'the bishops have by divine institution taken the place of the apostles as pastors of the Church, in such wise that whoever listens to them is listening to Christ and whoever despises them despises Christ and him who sent Christ.'[LG 20 # 2.]

Again, the Roman Catholic Church considers the term "the Church" to mean only those who follow the Pope.

The Catholic Church claims that God continues to give new Scripture, in the form of Catholic pronouncements.

See above regarding the teachings of the Pope and Catholic bishops.

The New Testament is the final revelation of God regarding things man needs to know to be saved:

Jude 3 Dear friends, although I was very eager to write to you about the salvation we share, I felt I had to write and urge you to contend for the faith that was once for all entrusted to the saints.

A FINAL QUESTION
Malachi 3:6a
"I the Lord do not change."

Hebrews 13:8 Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.

If God doesn't change, and the Catholic pronouncements are from God, then why do they contradict the Bible ???

Why are you asking that? Surely it was. Every pope and every saint who ever lived sinned many times. Only the Blessed Mother was without sin. And, of course, Jesus Christ.

oh really!!????? Mary was sinless eh? Then why did she say she needed a Savior!?

Even with the best intention's one cannot prove Mary is sinless from the Bible. The Word of God gives a different story than the traditions the Roman Catholic church uses to validate their dogma of the Immaculate conception. Eve was the only sinless woman who ever existed, until she sinned.But Eve was not born but created from Adam. In Luke 1:34 when the angel Gabriel first appeared to her and announced the savior would be conceived in her womb, she responded, “ how can this be since I do not know a man.” Mary asked the angel what manner of greeting is this. If she was sinless certainly she would have known and understood the things of God, butMary could not understand why she had been selected for this honor. In Luke 2:49-50 When Mary and Joseph after a day's journey found out that Jesus was missing from their company they went back to find Him. After two more days they found Him teaching in the temple teaching. Mary then asks Jesus why he did not leave with them, they looked high and low for him? His response is, why did you look all over for me? Did you not know that I must be about my fathers business (work)?”

Lk.2:50: “But they (both Mary and Joseph) did not understand the words he spoke to them.” Notice in both accounts Mary does not understand the things of God. Someone who is sinless would know God’s ways and not need a explanation. It is sin that corrupts ones understanding of spiritual things. What did they not understand? That Jesus would be about His Fathers business. In this account we see Mary equal with Joseph in not understanding.

Nowhere does the Bible says Mary was sinless or the exception to sin passed on from each generation. For such a miraculous event the Bible surely would have spoken to this issue. Catholics do not find this doctrine from the context of Scripture but from making a pretext out of the Scripture from their Church tradition (which happens to be written down). But again it is not apostolic tradition. If Mary was conceived without sin then her parents would have certainly known and would have assumed she was to bare the Messiah. The Catholics say she became sinless later in life. This would mean God took someone who has the nature of sin and completely change them to be sinless like Jesus Christ--without a virgin birth. Certainly such a miracle would be mentioned in the Scripture, but it is not! The Bible has no hint of such a thing to occur and actually says the very opposite in no uncertain terms in Romans 3. Accusing all of humanity to be under sin except for one, the God/man with the virgin birth.

There is not one Scripture given in context to show Mary is without sin. However, there is much to show the opposite. In Luke 1:46-47: After she visits Elizabeth and she is blessed she exalts the Lord saying “ My soul magnifies the Lord, and my spirit has rejoiced in God my savior.' Here Mary is saying that God is her personal savior, only sinners need a savior. In vs. 48 Mary states “ Henceforth all generations will call me blessed for He (God) has done great things for me and Holy is His name and His mercy is on those who fear Him.” Notice she says, God is Holy not herself, that He will have mercy upon her. Mercy is withheld punishment, only a sinner needs the mercy of God. It wasn’t until 1850 that the Catholic church endorsed Mary's sinlessness. Luke records by the Holy Spirit that Mary said she is a sinner by her admission in needing a savior, but the Pope says she does not. So then the Bible would be wrong and a man called the Pope is right, it can't be both.

Matthew 18: 15 “If your brother sins, go and show him his fault in private; if he listens to you, you have won your brother. 16 But if he does not listen to you, take one or two more with you, so that by the mouth of two or three witnesses every fact may be confirmed. 17 If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church; and if he refuses to listen even to the church, let him be to you as a Gentile and a tax collector. 18 Truly I say to you, whatever you bind on earth shall have been bound in heaven; and whatever you loose on earth shall have been loosed in heaven.”

Questions for you, ninja:
  1. Is there an authority on earth granted by Jesus to rule on matters of faith and morals?
  2. If so, who is that authority?
  3. Who is “the church” in this passage above?
  4. Who did Jesus give the authority to “bind on earth” some interpretation or ruling that would be “bound in heaven?”
  5. What if two believers disagree, who decides? What if one church says purgatory is real and even scriptural and another ecclesiastical community says it’s fake? Who should a believer believe?
  6. What makes you think that all God intended for his faithful to adhere to is in the Bible? What makes you think the Bible is exact and clear on all contemporary matters of faith and morals?
  7. Who gave us the Bible?
Finally, how dare you malign and denigrate the Mother of God? If Jesus wishes His mother to be honored above all other creation, and prayed to for assistance, you think He could so deign that to be? Or are you and your circle in some authority to say God cannot do such?

I assume you did not read the article I posted on Peter the Rock. Because if you did, I would expect the same silence I already have received here.

Now having said that, I will give you a free pass. Because I did not have the time to read the voluminous documentation you posted in that earlier thread, nor do I have the time to read the endless prose in this one. But if you make more concise points or pose one or two questions --- that I could respond to. And, yes, Mary was without sin in her earthly life but she did need a savior. She was saved before she was born via her Son. It is revealed through the saints and in detail in revelations given to those saints, as well as detail given to Sister Mary of Agreda in the 1600's. She was a nun who received countless visits from the Blessed Mother and was ordained to write everything down revealed to her. What resulted was a 2,600 page "auto biography" on the Virgin Mary. All the universities of her time and theologians and scholars marveled at what this was and virtually found no error in it that would contradict Scripture or Catholic dogma or doctrines. It is quite miraculous, one might say. It is just one of thousands of times our Lord appeared to Catholic pious souls and saints over the centuries which support Catholic teaching. Either that or Satan is working hard against his own mission.

Last edited:
Face it, Jesus wasn't actually nailed to anything but, as is common with Jews, he set up someone to take his punishment.
Then Peter, acting as Jews do, saw a few bucks so declared he was pope, and made a fat sack of cash cash as his tongue had more girls than it could cope with.

Romans 3:23
Parallel Verses
New International Version
for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God...
Yes, so that verse completes your binding and hand cuffing Jesus from permitting any special honor to be given to His mother. After all, praying to her is another sin in your book.

Do you realize how many appartions of the Virgin Mary you have to call of the evil one in order for your mission to go forward? Face it, Fatima, Lourdes, Guadalupe and Zeitoun are all of supernatural origin. That is beyond any doubt. So who is behind it, God or the devil?

I notice you are your usual too smart or too busy to be bothered with questions directed your way. (post #12 above)

"Then Joseph being raised from sleep did as the angel of the Lord had bidden him, and took unto him his wife: And knew her not (this means he did not have relations with her) TILL SHE HAD BROUGHT FORTH HER FIRSTBORN SON: and he called his name JESUS." -Matthew 1:24-25

Mary had other children, Jesus' siblings.

Forum List

Back