Peter Schiff vs. Mayor of Lansing Mich.

Kevin_Kennedy

Defend Liberty
Aug 27, 2008
[youtube]-BmqthF1LVM[/youtube]

[youtube]3ah_Zr7DPTM[/youtube]

The mayor keeps talking about, "Let's not single out the auto industry..." They're the ones asking for the bailout! He talks about having "patriotism" in our economy, what does that even mean?

I am as happy as anyone to see Peter Schiff humiliate the statist mayor of Lansing on the air, but I do not like to see Peter Schiff, like his opponents, refer to this as "bailing out Detroit."

First off, Flint and Detroit fell to ruins years ago and acting like the "automotive" (will explain the quotation marks in a moment) companies are just suddenly coming for money because as they would say, "Detroit will suffer if you don't bail us out" is faulty cause and effect.

The "automotive" companies left Michigan for Mexico and right-to-work states long ago, because Michigan's economy was stifled by union bosses and Third-World competition. Michael Moore made Roger and Me what, nineteen years ago? That was Flint then.

And second, it's a little-known secret that the "automotive" companies make most of their money the same way other companies their size do: by playing with money. They're "automakers" as much as McDonalds is a "food company." McDonalds is a franchise company. GM is a financial services company that makes cars on the side.

Please, stop letting them use the people of Michigan as a political weapon, a club to beat opposition over the head with. They say, "Oh, go ahead and bail out Wall Street, but you're not human enough to bail out Detroit!" No, real free-marketers opposed the Wall Street bailout, and not one human living in Detroit is likely to get a dime from the proposed "automaker" bailout.

Politics is a war of words. When someone claims that the "automaker" bailout is for Detroit, don't hesitate to observe that it isn't for Detroit, and they aren't automakers by trade anymore.

Originally posted by Adam de Angeli at Campaign For Liberty — Home

Forum List

Back