Peter Jennings died

RIP Peter.

While i didnt agree with any of his politics and never really watched his program, he seemed like a nice man. Unlike Brokaw and Rather, he seemed like he tried to keep the news unbiased, as impossible as that is.

insein said:
RIP Peter.

While i didnt agree with any of his politics and never really watched his program, he seemed like a nice man. Unlike Brokaw and Rather, he seemed like he tried to keep the news unbiased, as impossible as that is.

I agree. He is the only one of the three I really respect.

RIP

My most memorable Jennings?

During Clinton vs. Dole -

"Our polls show Clinton ahead in (insert state) by .5%. We will predict and claim this state for Clinton."

5 minutes later:

"Our polls show Dole ahead by 15%. Now - don't read into that, it's obviously early; too close to call!"

-=d=- said:
RIP

"Our polls show Clinton ahead in (insert state) by .5%. We will predict and claim this state for Clinton."

5 minutes later:

"Our polls show Dole ahead by 15%. Now - don't read into that, it's obviously early; too close to call!"

ITs funny cause its true. :cheers2:

-=d=- said:
RIP

5 minutes later:

:beer:

I appreciated his obsessive interest with the world's events and his abhorrence of the evil that too often triumphs in the world. Who can forget his well-apparent dismay when reporting on the Tianenmen Square massacre? His righteous outburst at Western inaction in Bosnia; "today in Bosnia, more heinious slaughter of Bosnians at the hands of Serb paramilitaries, and again, not a damn thing was done to stop it." Those things always stuck with me, making me respect him more than Brokaw or Rather.
He also was the only of the big three newscasters to press for more coverage on East Timor, the Congo, Chechyna and Darfur.
A lib, but still a good reporter.

Brokaw seemed to have the charisma, but, to me at least, Jennings had professionalism when it came to the "big three" anchors. What impressed me the most about Peter Jennings was the fact that he was essentially a self educated man. He dropped out of high school and was working in the media at a very young age. If nothing else, he is a symbol for the fact that the lack of a diploma on the wall is not proof of a lack of intelligence.

A side note: Mr. Jennings and I share a birthday.

Rest in peace, Peter.

Forum List

Back